Small Amounts of Apivar

Default Small Amounts of Apivar

I need 1 treatment of Apivar (actually 1 strip). Mann Lake sells Apivar in 10 strip vacuum packed bags. Apparently, the Apivar strips don't last after the vacuum seal is broken? As I said, I only need 1 strip that is worth about $4 and I don't want to pay $42 ($33 + shipping) for 10 strips and use 1 and have the rest go bad. Is there any place that I can buy a smaller amount of Apivar? I know it may sound dumb, but I'm just trying to avoid wasting $35.
    Thanks.
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Small Amounts of Apivar

How big is your hive. With Apivar you need two strips in each brood box. 1 strip will treat a 5 frame nuc.

Its a TBH with about 12 combs, not all the combs have bees on them (honey combs). Probably only 5 combs have any significant amount of bees on them. So I probably should use only 1 strip of Apivar.
    I think my bees are suffering from a bad varroa infestation. Since another hive I had just absconded. It had lots of bees with mites and a shotgun brood pattern. (like they were cleaning out brood that had varroa)
    I also see DWV. I hope its not too late. It's a swarm I caught this year and haven't treated at all. (I didn't treat the other hive either)
    Right now there is a brood break before a new queen starts laying. So the optimal time for me to begin treating would be within the next two weeks.
    Zone 6B

you never know, but maybe invest in a vacuum sealer, they aren't that expensive, plus you can use them for all sorts of other stuff.
    just saying...

Leave the unused strips in the original container. Wrap the package in aluminum foil. Place in a plastic ziplock bag and toss that in the freezer. Simply opening the Apivar strip envelope does not reduce the efficacy of the product significantly. The strips will still retain their efficacy.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Leave the unused strips in the original container. Wrap the package in aluminum foil. Place in a plastic ziplock bag and toss that in the freezer. Simply opening the Apivar strip envelope does not reduce the efficacy of the product significantly. The strips will still retain their efficacy.
    Thanks Mark! Now I'll feel better about buying the 10 Apivar strips.
    Do you know how long it'll last in the freezer and still be effective?
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    you never know, but maybe invest in a vacuum sealer, they aren't that expensive, plus you can use them for all sorts of other stuff.
    just saying...
    I just realized I have one of those simple plastic-melting sealers. I don't know if it's different from a vacuum sealer though?
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    Thanks Mark! Now I'll feel better about buying the 10 Apivar strips.
    Do you know how long it'll last in the freezer and still be effective?
    I don't know, but believe that it would be effective indefinitely if stored in this manner. Contact the manufacturers and see what they have to say.
    Mark Berninghausen