#6 hardware cloth or mesh source
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default #6 hardware cloth or mesh source

I have bought a bottom board from Greenbeehives to combat the horrible hive beetles that we have had. It seems to be working great so I would like to retrofit my other screened bottom board to be similar. My problem is finding #6 mesh that is not prohibitively expensive. Does anyone have a source? Thank you so much!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: #6 hardware cloth or mesh source

Welcome to Beesource!

I don't have a source of #6 hardware cloth for you, but perhaps you may want to reconsider that choice of size. Bees can pass through #6.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    There is another thread in this Forum concerning who to get rid of bees stuck in wire mesh. I thought I'd take a moment to share our experience with wire mesh.

Ross Rounds, which I own, manufactures Sundance Pollen Traps, which depend on wire mesh to work properly. We hope Sundance traps are the best in the world, and we have made thousand of them and regularly ship them all over the world. With that background:

1. 1/4 inch hardware cloth contains 4 squares to the inch. Bees easily pass through it. In fact, if the bees are carrying pollen there is so much room that the pollen will not be removed from their legs. Drones can get through 4 mesh screening as can queens.
    2. 5 mesh hardware cloth contains 5 squares to the inch. Again, bees readily pass through it. We believe that 5 mesh screening will remove 40%-60% of the pollen on the bees legs. It will remove very little of the pollen on their bodies. Drones and queens cannot get through 5 mesh screening. We use 5 mesh screening to remove pollen from bees legs.
    3. 6 mesh hardware cloth contains 6 squares to the inch. Workers can pass through 6 mesh screening, but with difficulty. More than 20 years ago we tried using 6 mesh screening on our traps but found it removed too much of the pollen so brood suffered.
    4. 7 mesh hardware cloth contains 7 squares to the inch. Workers cannot pass through. 7 mesh is hard to find and I know of no other use except for pollen traps, where it is used to prevent bees from access to pollen that has been accumulated in the removable drawer.
    5. 8 mesh hardware cloth contains 8 squares to the inch and bees cannot pass through. It is used on the bottom of some of our traps to prevent mouse access. As 8 mesh screening is widely used in industry it is much less expensive then 7 mesh, although it contains more metal. Some pollen grains are too large to fit through 8 mesh, which is why we use 7 mesh.

I hope this is useful or informative.

Lloyd

#8 hardware cloth is a more typical choice for screened bottoms.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!

I don't have a source of #6 hardware cloth for you, but perhaps you may want to reconsider that choice of size. Bees can pass through #6.

#8 hardware cloth is a more typical choice for screened bottoms.
    FYI, #8 hardware cloth is available on-line and most local hardware stores such as Ace /True Value Hardware.

Okay. Yes, I love that the beetles just fall through the number 6. We haven't found any bees in there yet. I wonder about #7. I can find !/2 inch, 1/4 inch and #8. I think #8 is what we have on our other screen board. It just isn't big enough for the beetles to fall through. We found 80 beetles in the trap in less than 6 hours so I am thankful. We have already had one hive absond that was infested like that. We are first year beekeepers so we were pretty darn sad. Thank you!!

#6 hardware cloth is 3/16". Small cell foundation is 4.9 mm. 3/16" = 4.7625 mm. Bees from regular foundation which is even larger would have a pretty dog gone tough time getting through a hole smaller than they are.

I forgot to say there is one thing harder than a bee getting through #6 hardware cloth and that would be finding someone who sells #6 hardware cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    #6 hardware cloth is 3/16".
    That is not correct.

There are 6 wires per inch in #6 hardware cloth.
    1/6 = 0.1666
    As a comparison, 3/16 = 0.1875

In addition, the 'holes' in #6 cloth are reduced by the diameter of the wire used. So, subtract say 0.017" (wire) from 0.1666" wire spacing.
    0.1666 - 0.017 = 0.1496" 'hole' size

Convert that result to millimeters and you get 3.8 mm 'hole' size.
    Graham

Grainger sells #6 hardware cloth, however, the linked product is expensive as its stainless steel.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAI...VAIL?$smthumb$

Note that the wire diameter in the Grainger product is 0.0280", which is thicker than my estimated wire diameter in post #7. The resulting 'hole' size in the stainless #6 mesh is 0.1387" or 3.5229 mm.
    Graham

Yep!!! So the wire size even makes the hole size even smaller and even tougher for a bee to get through!!!

Well, snapper1d, Lloyd From Ross Rounds / Sundance Pollen Traps says worker bees can get through #6 hardware cloth. I, for one, think Lloyd knows what he is talking about. I don't have that same confidence in your claims.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    6 mesh hardware cloth contains 6 squares to the inch. Workers can pass through 6 mesh screening, but with difficulty. More than 20 years ago we tried using 6 mesh screening on our traps but found it removed too much of the pollen so brood suffered.
    In addition to Lloyd's comments, Michael Bush has posted essentially the same thing.
    Graham

I didnt claim bee could go through it!!! I ask how can they since they are bigger than the hole size.Their exoskeletons cant contract and expand like other thing can.Then you just pointed out the hole size is even smaller by the wire size.

So, get the #5 wire size then. At least the pollen sacks can get through too.
    During the early Spring time they are loaded with big baskets of pollen on their
    return flight. If #6 knocked out some of the pollen when they most needed them to
    feed the broods then you have to get a bigger size hole.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Well, snapper1d, Lloyd From Ross Rounds / Sundance Pollen Traps says worker bees can get through #6 hardware cloth. I, for one, think Lloyd knows what he is talking about. I don't have that same confidence in your claims.

In addition to Lloyd's comments, Michael Bush has posted essentially the same thing.
    Maybe our colonies don't know they can or don't care to, but I have 18 hives with #6 screen over oil and one or two bees get into the oil a year. Two bees a year I can live with. Have had them on for three years.
    I'm a nobody in the beekeeping world and it works for me.
    We get it from a company called Durby out of Pennsylvania. We have been using stainless, which you know is pricey. They make aluminum this year which is cheaper. Give them a call. They will let you buy as much or as little as you want.

It is pricey but if it works its worth a hive saved.I have also noticed some beetle trying to get through #8 and couldnt.

http://catalog.darbywiremesh.com/vie...hardware-cloth

Quote Originally Posted by NCbeek View Post
    Maybe our colonies don't know they can or don't care to, but I have 18 hives with #6 screen over oil and one or two bees get into the oil a year. Two bees a year I can live with. Have had them on for three years.
    I'm a nobody in the beekeeping world and it works for me.
    We get it from a company called Durby out of Pennsylvania. We have been using stainless, which you know is pricey. They make aluminum this year which is cheaper. Give them a call. They will let you buy as much or as little as you want.
    That would be Darby (http://www.darbywiremesh.com/), for future reference

I'd like to get hold of some #7 for this purpose. Kelley sells it by the 100' roll for $377 , if Darby can beat that I'll order from them. This'll be a winter project so I'll have to wait to see where I get it from.

Edit: I just noticed Snapper linked to their site, and they don't list #7. Sounds like it would be a custom order...still, seeing their prices at $150ish for a 100' roll for #6 makes me doubt a run of #7 would be more than twice the cost to just buy it out of W.T Kelley's stock.

Maybe you should try ebay or amazon to see.
    Found some there before while doing research.
    Last edited by beepro; 08-26-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I use McMaster Carr. You can buy it in smaller quantities as well.

We sell it actually. Galvanized, and since were a bee company we actually pay attention to aperture size, which is what matters more than the mesh#. We sell #6 wire mesh with an average aperture size of 3.4mm (big enough for small hives beetles to get through, but not bees. We sell it in 20x20 inch pieces for $5.95

you can find it here: https://www.funnybugbees.com/the-bee...loth-wire-mesh

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBugBees View Post
    We sell it actually. Galvanized, and since were a bee company we actually pay attention to aperture size, which is what matters more than the mesh#. We sell #6 wire mesh with an average aperture size of 3.4mm (big enough for small hives beetles to get through, but not bees. We sell it in 20x20 inch pieces for $5.95

you can find it here: https://www.funnybugbees.com/the-bee...loth-wire-mesh
    Sorry there was a typo in my above reply, the #6 mesh we carry averages 3.2mm aperture, not 3.4mm

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBugBees View Post
    Sorry there was a typo in my above reply, the #6 mesh we carry averages 3.2mm aperture, not 3.4mm
    two typo's, the price at the site is 30% higher @ $8.95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast