EpiPens...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: EpiPens...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ojai, California
    Posts
    2,643

    Default EpiPens...

    And in the news today, 2.3 million U.S. beekeepers quit keeping bees in protest of the price increases of EpiPens. There will be no crops next year, and no honey - sorry.

    On the condition of anonymity, a senior official at Mylan, the company that sells EpiPens, said, "oops."

    In Baseball, blah blah blah ...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cullman, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,240

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Recently at bee meeting , state officials stated that in Alabama, we were "( up to about 1000 registered beekeepers)" in the state.
    so where are the rest of them? ( 2.2 million?)
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Eatonville, Washington State, USA
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Some facts are coming to light regarding the announced price hike of EpiPens.
    * The drug (epinephrine [adrenaline]) is actually quite cheap and remains cheap for those that need it.
    * EpiPen is the combination of this drug and the autoinjector, which makes it easy to use and administer.
    * The options usually require some training.

    * The price increase does not seem to be tied to any increase of research or development costs but arbitrary.
    * This is not a Republican, big business conspiracy, the CEO is a democrat donor to the Clinton Foundation
    * Her father, Joe Manchin, is a democrat
    * Congress is looking into why the price increase.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ojai, California
    Posts
    2,643

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    It's no mystery - the FDA has been discouraging competing products. Don't blame capitalism - this is the opposite of the free market. If a company charges too much, others slip in to the market at lower prices and drive the average price down.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX, USA
    Posts
    2,108

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    it's a bad deal for sure. Hopefully it is also illegal in some fashion, but I doubt it. Just immoral
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lincolnton, NC
    Posts
    1,467

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
    It's no mystery - the FDA has been discouraging competing products. Don't blame capitalism - this is the opposite of the free market. If a company charges too much, others slip in to the market at lower prices and drive the average price down.
    Yes, and since industries and large companies pay for most of the politician's campaigns, they can control congress and can stifle new competition.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 17 years; TF for 12; Zone 7B

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baroda Michigan
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    EpiPen prices aren't the only thing to jump at Mylan. Executive salaries have also seen a stratospheric uptick.

    Proxy filings show that from 2007 to 2015, Mylan CEO Heather Bresch's total compensation went from $2,453,456 to $18,931,068, a 671 percent increase. During the same period, the company raised EpiPen prices, with the average wholesale price going from $56.64 to $317.82, a 461 percent increase, according to data provided by Connecture.


    This from NBC website

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Cazadero, California
    Posts
    364

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    The reason for the price increase is super simple: A competitor (despite "the govt's" best efforts) is coming on line next year. Mylan knows they're going to be sucking wind in short order. They're going down 'guns a blazin'.. Class act.

    "Their Abiliject auto-injector, due for release in 2018, promises to be smaller, have a longer shelf life, and be easier to use than anything thatís come before it."

    "The key to Abiliject, Stepanian explains, is its extended shelf life. Over the last four years, Windgap has developed a proprietary method to store epinephrine in a dried or powdered form and reconstitute it seconds before injection. The dry formulation is good for several years, and wonít degrade when exposed to light or extreme temperatures. For comparison: In perfect conditions, an EpiPen will expire in 18 months, and, when exposed to heat over 86 degrees, can degrade even faster.. "

    http://fortune.com/2015/07/21/epipen...tive-medicine/

    Also of note, Mylan stock has tanked this week. Good job folks, hit 'em where it hurts!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baroda Michigan
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    What burns my arse is that if your on Medicaid this is 100% paid for so our tax money is paying this company.

    This is my first year with bees and Ive been stung a few times and ended up at the doctors with severe swelling. I have a allergic reaction to the stings. I dont go into shock but I do have severe swelling. They gave me a prescription for an epipen. My health insurance is tricare through the military and they wouldn't cover it so I didnt get one. The pharmacy said I owed them like $350 for them so I said Ill pass and got the steroid cream instead.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baroda Michigan
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Those executives dont need that kind of money, thats insane

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Cazadero, California
    Posts
    364

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    EpiPen prices aren't the only thing to jump at Mylan. Executive salaries have also seen a stratospheric uptick.

    Proxy filings show that from 2007 to 2015, Mylan CEO Heather Bresch's total compensation went from $2,453,456 to $18,931,068, a 671 percent increase. During the same period, the company raised EpiPen prices, with the average wholesale price going from $56.64 to $317.82, a 461 percent increase, according to data provided by Connecture.


    This from NBC website
    Obama did it.

    edit to add: that was intended as a joke, but you know.. I bet there's some truth to it.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Solano, California, USA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    As someone who has had to administer these things on two occasions I'm glad they exist. If either of the people i used them had died hindsight for being to frugal (cheap) to use them would have haunted me forever.

    If the FDA would get its butt out of the way the marketplace would clear this issue up in short order. More people are gonna crash and burn from lack of access (gvt issued monopoly) than would ever croak from a short term issuance by some "inferior" competitor which would be out of business in short order if it was really that bad.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Santa barbara, CA
    Posts
    779

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Quote Originally Posted by larryh View Post
    The reason for the price increase is super simple: A competitor (despite "the govt's" best efforts) is coming on line next year. Mylan knows they're going to be sucking wind in short order. They're going down 'guns a blazin'.. Class act.
    What about Adrenaclick and it's two generics (Greenstone Ltd. and Lineage Therpeutics) These are competing products at cheaper prices minus the name recognition. You can buy two generic Adrenaclicks at Walmart for $144 with a Goodrx.com coupon. No insurance required. Go to www.goodrx.com and input "epinephrine" and your zip code then click find the lowest price. Click the free coupon and take it with your prescription to the pharmacy.



    I don't think this new Abiliject auto-injector is going to be a cheaper alternative. I'll bet they will be competing at the $600 level, just handier. There was another competitor called Auvi-Q that was smaller but no cheaper, now unavailable.
    Last edited by dynemd; 08-24-2016 at 11:22 PM.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Deerfield, Illinois
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Sorry Michaelp86, those of us on Medicare have earned it by paying into the system. Those of us on Medicare that still are employed still continue to pay in.If you are having such a serious reaction you may want to consider another hobby as this is your first year and you don't have much invested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    What burns my arse is that if your on Medicaid this is 100% paid for so our tax money is paying this company.

    This is my first year with bees and Ive been stung a few times and ended up at the doctors with severe swelling. I have a allergic reaction to the stings. I dont go into shock but I do have severe swelling. They gave me a prescription for an epipen. My health insurance is tricare through the military and they wouldn't cover it so I didnt get one. The pharmacy said I owed them like $350 for them so I said Ill pass and got the steroid cream instead.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Jefferson Co, TX
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Quote Originally Posted by kg7 View Post
    Some facts are coming to light regarding the announced price hike of EpiPens.
    * The drug (epinephrine [adrenaline]) is actually quite cheap and remains cheap for those that need it.
    * EpiPen is the combination of this drug and the autoinjector, which makes it easy to use and administer.
    One of the local talk radio people was saying the cost of the medicine is less than $5.00 per pen.

    Hmmm if I could only do that with a bee hive. Those $45.00 worth of mediums filled with bees, added with the knowledge of making them fill up the hive, construct the frames, etc., why I could charge 4500.00 per hive or so.

    Will let everyone know how it goes one I sell that first one.

    Seems like it should be a crime. Opps wait, they are donors to the Clintons, nothing illegal, unethical, or immoral could be involved then.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pepperell, MA.
    Posts
    6,172

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Let's drop the politics or take it over to Tailgater.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

  18. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    ... from 2007 to 2015, Mylan CEO Heather Bresch's total compensation went from $2,453,456 to $18,931,068...
    +16.4 mil a year - Blood money... every death of someone who can no longer afford an EP is on her head.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Troy, IL
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    I'm with Honey-4-All, if some one I loved went into shock and god forbid, die. I would not be able to live with myself. With the epipens covered under my insurance I paid $90 dollars for two. The coupon that epipen gives wouldn't cover me as I have insurance through the state retirement plan.
    I have been stung almost a hundred times this year. I thought I'd call my honey "The honey of a thousand stings".

    Mary

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    Quote Originally Posted by dynemd View Post
    What about Adrenaclick and it's two generics (Greenstone Ltd. and Lineage Therpeutics) These are competing products at cheaper prices minus the name recognition. You can buy two generic Adrenaclicks at Walmart for $144 with a Goodrx.com coupon. No insurance required. ....
    Any reason these products are not taking off and giving EpiPen a run for money ?

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX, USA
    Posts
    2,108

    Default Re: EpiPens...

    so there are generics, fda approved. they just lack name recognition?

    Planner - dab bleach on a sting before it closes. and you may find your swelling reaction is less over time as you develop a tolerance
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •