laying worker colony accepts new Queen
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Mogollon Rim, Arizona 85933
    Posts
    747

    Default laying worker colony accepts new Queen

    I had a hopeless laying worker colony, my 2nd one in 1 month, I didn't know about in my Holbrook outyard. It's been a ordeal getting out there due to the thunderstorms and heavy rains here in the mountains on the Mogollon Rim. The roads are dirt and through washes and by the little colorado river, which is flowing hard now. I had to get my hive out asap or loose them to flooding. I was finally able to get them a week ago.
    I moved the hives back here to my apiary in Overgaard, and tried an experiment with the laying worker hive. I had no intention of keeping this colony. I had inquired about Queens from several different sources, and received one from Micheal Palmer, and a Buckfast from Canada.
    I put the Buckfast in the laying worker colony after going through several experimental stages to introduce her to them, and it worked.
    Basically followed Vanderpools queen introduction, and instead of using the laying worker hive, with their scent, I did a shake out and reintroduction. I moved the original hive, put the new one in it's place, now the new buckfast queen was put inside the new empty hive with her attendants for 48hrs prior to the shake out my thinking being her scent would pervade the new hive.
    After the shake out, I mean a hard shake out every single bee from the old hive tossed out. Then a light vanilla sugar mixture was sprayed on the old frames and set inside the new hive.
    All the girls that could went into the new hive with no problems, this took about an hour to complete, every one except a cup or more went inside. Once the flyer were all settled in and no one was buzzing around, I moved the hive to it new location, placed a large cedar branch with lots of green blocking the entrance. Replaced old hive in it's original spot.
    I left them alone to do their thing, figuring I'd wait 5 days before the first check up. I should say this hive has no brood, just a few larvae and eggs the workers laid, nor did I add any brood. This was the goal to see if we could get laying workers to accept a new queen without brood.
    Tell you what, 2 day ago our new bucky queen is wandering around the frames, being followed and taken care of by these AHB hybrids. and there were even some eggs being laid, as I watched her do her job.
    I'm glad, and there's just enough time to get some brood and bees for the winter build up. Everything is blooming beautifully here in the hills, the main flow being camphor weed and Russian Thistle aka tumbleweed.
    That's my tek. If anybody wants to try it out, I think this could save a few peoples laying worker problems without using new brood.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: laying worker colony accepts new Queen

    Nice work.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Mogollon Rim, Arizona 85933
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: laying worker colony accepts new Queen

    My tek def worked. 100%. There are no multiple eggs anymore.
    The Queen's laying lots of eggs, there are lots of larvae, and a few capped cells today.

    not sure if anyone has tried this method or written about it in the past...my claim to this method if no one has published it.
    This Queen intro to laying worker hive tek needs other beeks with laying worker hives to help verify the method now.
    I will use this tek if I ever have another laying worker hive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •