Small wild Hive getting smaller - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Small wild Hive getting smaller

I moved the hive but only about 25 feet from the original tree. I have no other hives, I'm pretty much a virgin beekeeper. I have the entrance reduced to the smallest size.

My assumption about the robbers is that they are from the original colony that the ones we caught swarmed from. Maybe, idk. The nearest hive to us is an Amish farm about 6 or 7 miles.

This has been an awesome experience though I must say. It has made me fall in love with beekeeping! And the community of beeks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have always been told you can move a hive less than 2 feet or over 2 miles. Anything in between that will only confuse the bees and they will try to return to the original location. That may be what happened. Those bees may have returned to the tree and then the queen followed. They may have also robbed the hive out themselves. The dead bees may have also been the fight with the wasp. Just a lot of speculation here too. Try to recatch them and put the hive at the tree.

We're going to the tree this afternoon. There was active combat going on. Looked like a lot of 2 on 1 bee brawling. We'll give the location a try. Thanks.

What i love though is that eveytime the feeder is empty, one bee hangs out on our back porch and when I go outside it flies around me and buzzes.

The leading cause of robbing is feeding.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Ok, thanks. We were just talking about not feeding for a couple weeks then going into the hive and seeing what's up.

I do not see any one mentioning reducing the entrance size, fabricating & installing a robber screen, or covering the screened bottom board ( the bees think they have to defend it as well as the entrance).
    I also do not see reducing the size of the hive to match the number of bees.
    If you had combs, you would want the bees to cover 80% of them not such an issue if you are using foundation less frames ( which is a whole 'nother controversy
    I use a follower or divider board to crowd the bees together some.
    Like I said earlier, the details can get overwhelming...
    Good luck .... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12