Plastic top feeder. Lost, drowned bees, uneven consumption

Default Plastic top feeder. Lost, drowned bees, uneven consumption

Good day!

I have 2 of these: http://www.gabees.com/store/product_...roducts_id=263

Installed last Wednesday on 2 8 framers. Today I looked at both of them.

One has almost all of the syrup gone and bees crawling both under and on the screen. The ones on the screen seem to be lost. Hopefully they will find their way back in. No drowned bees.

The second one seems to be unchanged in terms of the syrup level and there is a half a dozen dead bees floating.

This colony is weaker but it does have brood and is quite active.

It seems however while my first colony goes to the feeder to eat the second one goes there to die.

While colonies do indeed differ and one must not expect similar behaviour and consumption I would like your opinion on:

1. This type of feeder
    2. Bees infiltrating through the screen.
    3. Not eating too much yet drowning in the food.
    4. Is there a definite feeder design winner?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Plastic top feeder. Lost, drowned bees, uneven consumption

1. This type of feeder
    use 5 for my remote hives, they work fine

2. Bees infiltrating through the screen.
    no

3. Not eating too much yet drowning in the food.
    no, some fall in

4. Is there a definite feeder design winner?
    no clue

I don't have any experience with that type of feeder this is the one I use with great results http://www.betterbee.com/feeders/uhf...ive-feeder.asp I don't think there is any type of feeder that wont kill some bees eventually. With the feeder I use once the feed runs out the bees can find their way into the feeder, but there is less loss than the hive top I use for fall feeding. I have 3 hives and each one takes feed at completely different rates. The one didn't use a gallon the entire spring where as the others used as much as I could give them.

I use a few of these top feeders. Before using I use silicone to seal around the screen to make sure bees can not get under the screen. I also use a screened shim on top to keep bees from entering from outside, just in case the top has space. Another tip, for what it is worth, I use vics vapo rub, Wall Mart brand, to smear around the entrance and around the top to keep the other bees from robbing. Seems to kill the syrup smell, I think? My main feeding method is 5 gallon buckets with straw and sticks to warp the lid placed 100 Yards away from the apiary.

I wish you well, LP

Quote Originally Posted by Jdt0517 View Post
    I don't have any experience with that type of feeder this is the one I use with great results http://www.betterbee.com/feeders/uhf...ive-feeder.asp I don't think there is any type of feeder that wont kill some bees eventually. With the feeder I use once the feed runs out the bees can find their way into the feeder, but there is less loss than the hive top I use for fall feeding. I have 3 hives and each one takes feed at completely different rates. The one didn't use a gallon the entire spring where as the others used as much as I could give them.
    I've never seen that feeder before, that looks like a good design. I wonder if it will fit in a 5 frame nuc box? Doubtful, it mentions 8 and 10 framers.

I use this sometimes: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/688/
    Bees do drown in it tho, especially when you have to refill it. You can't get the bees out to refill so I just pour really slowly trying to get them to climb out because they hang on the bottom licking every last drop out of there.

Yes as Larry said make sure you caulk around the screen and you shouldn't have them getting into the syrup. Works for me and my buddy.

I've had good luck with these http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/423/. With a good seal around the hive they work well. Had about a dozen bees in one and couldn't figure out how they were getting in. Finally realized they were clingers on the hive cover. Everyone I know that uses the wooden ones with the floating trays, removes the trays and stuffs them with pine straw, bees can still access the syrup and have several footholds to climb out.

Great tip, cervus.

Is pine straw just pine needles? Otherwise I wonder if regular straw or hay would work. I guess anything absorbent would, even an old towel.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Great tip, cervus.

Is pine straw just pine needles? Otherwise I wonder if regular straw or hay would work. I guess anything absorbent would, even an old towel.
    Yes, pine needles. There is actually a big market for it here, for landscaping mulch, and that's where the term "pinestraw" is most prevalent. Makes great smoker fuel too. A bale goes for about $3.50. But yes, anything that the bees wouldn't try to chew up and/or haul out of the hive would probably work.

DIY feeder, no drowned bees but volume is low.

I've had success with ziploc baggie feeders. I used them in the Spring and again in the last few weeks. No mess, easy cleanup. My method is 3 quarts of feed in a 1 gallon heavy duty ziploc bag. Force the air out and lay across the top bars of the frames. Cut 9 small 3/8 inch slits in a 3x3 formation. I use Complete Bee as a supplement in the sugar water and the bees drink it up fast. Remove the bag when empty. No drowning, leaking or robbing.

I don't understand how those ziploc baggie feeders don't leak when you cut slits in them. I imagine it's from the pressure, but not sure. Maybe I should just try it on the counter and see how that works.

I use, old ice cream containers...over here they are sq and hold 2 lts, you'll get four in the top of the hive, laid directly on the top bars of the frames, ... wooden external rim same height as top of bowls ( our hive mats have a 10 mm beespace ) bit of pea straw or anything that floats on the syrup, ... COST ...nearly nil, EFFECTIVENESS ... 99.999% why ? because the little monkeys can feed around the whole sides of the containers, no pushing one another into the pool ..lol

Thank you everyone for participating in this discussion.

Thats the one I use (http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/423/). No drowning, big enough, good seal. I run a screened inner cover on it. Ants can get to it but, Im sure they are not drinking that much. I can feed about a gallon a day right now no problem. I like that all I have to do it pull the outer cover, the screen (yes I could pour it through but that just invites robbing) inner and reload without having to open the hive per se.
    Last edited by thesecurityeagle; 08-22-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Add URL

Quote Originally Posted by fimine View Post
    Thank you everyone for participating in this discussion.
    answer clear as mud now huh?
    lots of stuff that works. that few dead bees isn't a big concern. if you have a hundred then you should be looking at why
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    answer clear as mud now huh?
    lots of stuff that works. that few dead bees isn't a big concern. if you have a hundred then you should be looking at why
    In fact I got several ideas from this discussion. For instance, I live under white pines and my lot is covered with free pine straw. I didn't know it's being used as floater. I will try that .