My Neighbor Wants to Kill My Bees - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: My Neighbor Wants to Kill My Bees

Quote Originally Posted by usngunr View Post
    Yeah. NO. Honey Bees are a natural part of the landscape and ecology. IF I were establishing a hornet ranch, then yes, I would concur. Otherwise if I am within the parameters of existing law and ordinances, then why on earth should one subjugate our rights on our property to another? I'm all about getting along with neighbors, as long as everyone is reasonable. I even keep epi-pens on hand (no one in our family is allergic) just in case. I'll not roll over for anybody for what i legally do on my property. To do otherwise is to forfeit ones' own liberty.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Honey bees are not a part of the natural landscape. They are, in fact, an invasive species imported from other parts of the world. If they were not put to use for agriculture, they would be treated entirely differently. Oh, not be a self absorbed fool, is not forfeiting your precious Liberty. We live in a society that, believe it or not is shared with other people. And, it had been demonstrated time and time again that you cannot do whatever selfish or short-sighted actions you want just because you are on your property. I also suspect that keeping epi-pens for the purpose of sharing with others is illegal - and admitting that you buy them is an admission that you believe they are potentially dangerous and are responsible for any harm they cause.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs Up Re: My Neighbor Wants to Kill My Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Artur_M View Post
    It looks I got to listen most of the suggestions here and move the bees.

Can someone advise if I move the bees 10ft away from current location, will it solve the problem?
    In general, it won't make the mowing issue worse and it might help, but I would requeen them for sure. More shade will increase Small Hive Beetle pressure on your hives, so its a trade off. Move them three feet per day until you get them where you want them. You would do well to make an emergency relocation plan (away from your home).

I'd be interested in any developments with your neighbor and whether he will talk to the lawn maintenance person that was stung. It will be worth it to have the mower's shute pointing away from the hives when close enough to throw debris into the flight path of the bees.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

I moved a couple hives a few weeks ago because my new neighbor's father complained that he got stung when he was mowing, and he actually has bees. No point in arguing about rights here, it's a losing proposition to irritate your neighbors needlessly.

In Indiana it's a felony to disturb or damage a bee hive, and bees are now protected and cannot be exterminated (which means we get more cut-out and trap-out calls than we used to). Don't know what the law is in your state, but I'd sure that damaging other people's property isn't legal.

I would move the bees, at least to the other side of the yard. Aggressive bees need to be re-queened, but first make sure they are not getting robbed or are short on stores, both of which make them cranky. If you can't do either of those, they need to be moved to another property pronto, it's not worth the hassle with neighbors.

Join your local bee club -- likely someone there can and will help you out with this.

Peter

Can someone advise if I move the bees 10ft away from current location, will it solve the problem?

Currently the hives are facing south and under the direct sun after 3pm till dusk.
    If I move them away from current location about 10 feet and put them against my garage wall (2 feet away from garage wall), they will be facing north and they will be under direct sun before 10AM if there is a sun. During winter time there will be no direct sun at all.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Someone mentioned about a fence, if you truly believe the bees are calm otherwise are only agitated due to grass clipping being throws, then another solution might be to put a about 10 ft solid fence (about 6 ft high) at the property line just behind the hives. Consider all facts (dearth, skunk etc ) and requeen if you feel.

By doing any of these, you are not "giving in". In fact, you are setting the stage to be on your side, should this escalate to state inspector and LE.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    Someone mentioned about a fence, if you truly believe the bees are calm otherwise are only agitated due to grass clipping being throws, then another solution might be to put a about 10 ft solid fence (about 6 ft high) at the property line just behind the hives. Consider all facts (dearth, skunk etc ) and requeen if you feel.

By doing any of these, you are not "giving in". In fact, you are setting the stage to be on your side, should this escalate to state inspector and LE.
    Ha-ha,
    It is escalated to state inspector and LE - they requested me to put 4ft high barrier so kids and elderly will not go through - I am working on it right now: I am putting barrier using a PVC pipes and will put deer-protective mesh - that's the regulation of my county.

I wish there was a regulation for jerks who are deliberately throwing rocks and blowing dust and cuts towards bees.

Currently the hives are facing south and under the direct sun after 3pm till dusk.
    If I move them away from current location about 10 feet and put them against my garage wall (2 feet away from garage wall), they will be facing north and they will be under direct sun before 10AM if there is a sun. During winter time there will be no direct sun at all.

Any advice is appreciated.
    In another post you mentioned that your hive was a little more than 4 feet from the property line. Now you say if you move it 10 feet they will be against your garage wall. If you've only got around 15 feet of yard to work with, my advice is to find an out yard or find another hobby.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I am sorry for confusion, the distance the hives got moved this morning is 25-30 ft at least.

Please look at my post at https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ghlight=moving and let me know what do you think.

Thanks,

When you choose to "follow the letter of the law and not the intent, be ready to lose your battle. It may be perfectly legal for the hives to be located near a property line. It is also perfectly legal for the neighbor to put some poisoned sugar water out on his property. You have already lost if you are relying on the law to be on your side. What you need is to rely on good neighbor relations. Personally, I would talk with the neighbor and see if there are other issues with the bees aside from mowing. If it is just mowing, then I would offer to mow for him, or at the very least coordinate so you can smoke the bees before he mows. One other solution would be to get his mowing schedule and close your hives up the night before and then open them back up after he is done mowing. I have always been concerned about my bees becoming defensive when my neighbor mows, and my hives are at least 50 feet from the property line. I have dealt with some pretty defensive bees previously and will not allow them to stay in my yard when that occurs.

Your bees are infringing on the ability of enjoyment of your neighbors to enjoy their property unimpeded. It is our responsibility to come up with a solution that will avoid that. At this point, you and your neighbor probably have a very poor relationship and it will be all the harder to solve.

You **cannot** move hives 30 feet and not have lost bees go back to the old location. This understanding of bee behavior is fundamental to first year rookie beekeeping.
    The lost bees are going to be very aggressive, they will sting on sight.

At this point, one can place a small box with a bit of comb at the old location and collect some of these foragers. They can be transferred to the new hive location bit by bit.

Some of the lost bees will make spiralling circles and find the new location, but others will cluster on the grass at the old location.

In the country, one can move hives aggressively in this manner, but in a dense suburban neighborhood be prepared for a lot of stings, as the bees take out their aggression on anything that moves.

I am surprised that nobody is mentioning that the mower is deliberately blowing dust and cut towards the bees.
    It's like knowing about fire, getting closer to it and even start playing with it and later complain that you got a burn.

It looks as always, smart people suffer to please the others.
    Is there an ordinance about which way your mower discharge is facing? The guy mows lawns for a living and has to get on to the next house. Why would he care or even listen to you? Would you want somebody telling you how to do your job after they already did something that hurt you?

Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Just asking out loud here, when does a species no longer become invasive; 100 years, 200 years, 300 years, or when it becomes a part of the local ecological system and becomes part of the landscape?

Horses are not native to the Americas, but are now considered to be part of the tapestry of it, hence the Wild Mustangs Rescue.
    Bee management is like a flowing river, persistent and ever changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Is there an ordinance about which way your mower discharge is facing? The guy mows lawns for a living and has to get on to the next house. Why would he care or even listen to you? Would you want somebody telling you how to do your job after they already did something that hurt you?

Life changes, things change - we should not be stubborn

Life changes, things change - we should not be stubborn
    You can choose to use the Polyanna principle in dealing with this but the burden of change is most likely placed on you at this point.

Have you talked to your neighbor about this? I may have missed that.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I talked to neighbor today and told him that there is no reason to escalate - there are several options for "peace".
    One of main is "NOT TO BLOW dust and cut TOWARDS BEES". - He did understand and said that he will talk to the guy.

I'll update here how it goes.

Mean while I posted a comment about moving the bees. I'll appreciate help in moving.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ghlight=moving

And lack of reading comprehension is yet another failure of the public school system. I made reference already to being within existing codes and ordinances. If you want to roll over because someone is "not comfortable with that", you have a good time and enjoy being locked in your little "comfort zone cubby". I'll not do so. But then again, I'm an American. I've fought for this country, and I'll be damned if i will sit by idly while it goes down to tube to "comfort zones". Not playing that game.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Liberties?! Sacrosanct?!

It seems that some confuse local zoning ordinances with US Constitutional rights. A sad commentary on the failure of our public educational system...I suppose.

Zoning and land use ordinances are typically created by a local commission. Those ordinances are fickle, on their best day. A neighbor complains that during the course of ordinary yard activities that he has been stung by his neighbor's bees. Bees placed near his property. He complained to the beekeeping neighbor...but nothing was ever done. Within minutes of the opening gavel of the commission meeting, the rules are changed. No congressional approval required.

Since there are already ordinances on the books regarding beekeeping, it's a sure sign that there are other beekeepers in the community who have fought for and gotten, apparently, very lenient rules. Won't those other beekeepers in the community be thrilled when they discover that they are now restricted by Draconian rules...because one beekeeper insisted on his 'liberties'.

For those who believe that the Revolutionary War was fought so that we could shove our bees in our neighbors' faces....no comment.

Quote Originally Posted by usngunr View Post
    If you want to roll over because someone is "not comfortable with that", you have a good time and enjoy being locked in your little "comfort zone cubby". I'll not do so. But then again, I'm an American. I've fought for this country, and I'll be damned if i will sit by idly while it goes down to tube to "comfort zones". Not playing that game.
    You may not play that game, but good luck demanding that on your neighbors. They have a right to their comfort zone, especially if their comfort zone comprises their property.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    They have a right to their comfort zone, especially if their comfort zone comprises their property.
    Those who insist on pushing the edge of the rules...neighbors be damned....are the folks who give beekeepers a bad name and get more restrictive rules passed. Then we all suffer. To me, it just doesn't seem that painful to be a considerate neighbor.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Agree to not compromise neighbors comfort, although their lawn guy is a jerk.

Once I moved bees - It's about 5PM - the flying bees are aggressive.

Please advise what can be done - I have a post on moving forum.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ghlight=moving

Once I moved bees - It's about 5PM - the flying bees are aggressive.Please advise what can be done
    I would leave them alone for a while. See if they settle down. There were a few things you could have done to make the move easier for the bees, but that's water over the dam. The best thing now is to back off and let them get used to the new setting. With bees, getting out of their way is all too often the best thing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by radial View Post
    I would leave them alone for a while. See if they settle down.
    I will leave them alone till tomorrow morning (6AM or so), but I am worry about my neighbors to be attacked while they are outside.

I'll open the doors tomorrow morning and move the box, where some bees are collected now, closer to the hives.

I am very stressed now about bees and about my neighbors.

They are usually aggressive around 4-5-6PM, by now they are usually calm, but not today.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast