My Neighbor Wants to Kill My Bees
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default My Neighbor Wants to Kill My Bees

Hello,

I am a beekeeper for only 2 months. I started 2 hives from 2 nucs transferred to the hives in July, then later I added deep on each hive so bees can collect honey in them.

Recently the guy to mows the lawn of my neighbor started complaining about bees stinging him, whenever he goes close to the hives with his big lawn mower. I tried to explain to him that it is obvious that whenever he is close to the bees with his loud mower, bees will get offended and will try to defend themselves.
    I suggested that he mows the part of the lawn close to the hives last, but he didn't want to listen and understand.

He threatened that he will spray my hives with something to kill the bees on what I answered that he can't spray anything on my property.

Now I am concerned if there are ways to kill the bees so I won't know that he did it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My Neighbor Wants to Kill My Bees

Tell your neighbor that what ever he pays his guy to mow the lawn, that you will do it for less. Then you mow the lawn and the other guy doesn't have to worry about getting stung.

Are you bees right at the line? Is there a fence? Unhappy neighbors are hard to live around. Can you move your hives? What are the laws in your area about bee hives?
    I have one hive of pretty darn mean bees and I can mow with riding mower about to a foot in front of their hive and I haven't been stung in the past two years. I mow so the grass is thrown away from the hives. Behind the hives I could mow right up to them.
    You do have your hives facing in to your property, don't you. Some people are scared of bees--and wasps. Can you keep the grass cut around your hives? Maybe if you offered to do that your neighbor would feel better about sharing air space with your bees.

Good luck.
    Bee nice
    Mary

edit. Didn't get the part about it being a yard service. The yard service I have used won't cut grass, when a branch falls down, if there is something in the grass and a whole list of other things. I wouldn't take kindly to a hired person telling me that he is going to kill bees on my property. I would talk to your neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    Tell your neighbor that what ever he pays his guy to mow the lawn, that you will do it for less. Then you mow the lawn and the other guy doesn't have to worry about getting stung.
    If there are 100 more replies to this thread, this one will still be the best answer. Mow it for free if you have to. Go buy them a quart of local honey and give it to them.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

The hives are in my yard, more that 4 ft away from property line (law is 4ft) and I have to have 4ft high barrier of any kind.
    I have the barrier on 2 sides (will be building 2 more sides soon, before county gives me fine). The neighbor side is 5ft high bushes, and the guy mows on the other side of the bushes blowing all the dust and the cut grass towards the hives.
    I think there is nothing can be done to satisfy him except moving the hives to other location, but I am surrounded with neighbors, so bees will attack anyone whenever they feel offended.

I have 7 hives which are 2 - 10 frame brood boxes each and 11 5x5 double stacked NUCs in my back yard and I mow and trim around them and have never been stung. My grandkids swing set and other play items are within 15 yards of the hives and they have never been stung. Tell him to produce a bee he was strung by then say "nope not one of mine". Your neighbor may have a yellow jacket nest in his yard and that's what is getting the lawn boy!

Move the bees. If you get in a pissing contest with the neighbor about your rights to put stinging, potentially deadly insects next to his property, you are going to lose.

We've all had to move bees when locations we thought would be fine turned out to have problems.

Part of the social contract with keeping bees is the implicit agreement that we will work to make them compatible with our fellow citizens.

This is especially true of urbanized property. If your hives are so close to the property line that they are visible and defensive, you need to move them elsewhere, if your property is too small to do this, then you need to locate them on another tract of land.

Quote Originally Posted by GSkip View Post
    I have 7 hives which are 2 - 10 frame brood boxes each and 11 5x5 double stacked NUCs in my back yard and I mow and trim around them and have never been stung. My grandkids swing set and other play items are within 15 yards of the hives and they have never been stung. Tell him to produce a bee he was strung by then say "nope not one of mine". Your neighbor may have a yellow jacket nest in his yard and that's what is getting the lawn boy!
    I don't know why, but my bees are more aggressive than any others I watched on youtube. You can't get closer that 3ft without getting attacked.
    Any suggestions about this?

I think it's easy to think of this kind of hobby as a "right". While I believe that to an extent, you don't get to do stuff that makes your neighbors live with being stung frequently just by doing yard work.

I have some colonies in town during the season and can move them any night to one of my outyards if they cause a stir.

If I had to mow an additional yard for each two hives I wouldn't have any time keep bees.

Requeening is the obvious answer but that's much easier said than done on a hot hive. I don't consider 3 feet from the hive before they start after you to be hot, but to many that would be.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

If you have met the legal requirement of the community put up a game camera to watch your bees. If you do move them I would put empty hives back in the same location and see if he complains of another sting. Since he made a threat to do harm to your property I would contact local law enforcement and make a complaint just in case he is that stupid. That's the same as threatening to kill you dog or cat without proof it was the one that took a dump in his yard last night!

I don't like being threatened !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GSkip View Post
    If you have met the legal requirement of the community put up a game camera to watch your bees. If you do move them I would put empty hives back in the same location and see if he complains of another sting. Since he made a threat to do harm to your property I would contact local law enforcement and make a complaint just in case he is that stupid. That's the same as threatening to kill you dog or cat without proof it was the one that took a dump in his yard last night!

I don't like being threatened !!!!!!
    I bet you're a treat to live by.

These kind of things are ALWAYS best dealt with on a personal level until there's a need to escalate. I bet most of us have wanted to kill a colony after a crappy encounter. Now imagine that they weren't even yours...

The only one who's really done harm in this case is the OP via his bees.

I live in a close urban area and neighbors are always going to be an issue. You may as well take an educational and "ambassadorial" approach to it. My lawn guy is scared of my bees (although growing less so every visit) and we have agreed that he can leave a 10-15 foot "arc" around my hives - it actually works well and is like a little wildlife sanctuary in my yard and the height of it gets the bees up and over and out of the way.

But there's something wrong here - either with his conduct, your hive placement, or your bees and possibly all three. If he is mowing in a way that disrupts your bees (throwing grass and dust into your yard and hives), you need to talk to hm about respecting what is in your yard. Bees or no bees, he doesn't have a right to do that. If the problem is an inadequate barrier, then put a good one up - a 6' solid fence, or move the hives to where one isn't necessary. If the problem is the temperament of your bees, you need to address that by re-queening. But you need to de-escalate this quickly. You should talk to your neighbor (with a jar of honey in hand) and work it out, and he ought to make clear to his lawn guy that threatening the neighbors is not okay.

I mow right in front of my hives, like right in the front door but they are on a stand and i never face the output in their direction. They dont care one bit. This guy is looking for a reason to get rid of the bees because he is afraid of bees.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Part of the social contract
    Unfortunately, I've run into a lot of people who don't understand this concept. My neighbor is one. He has received numerous fines because "I bought the house and can do whatever I want on it"; completely ignoring deed restrictions, laws, and basic courtesy.

It is not his responsibility to accept risk for your hobby. It is yours to bend over backwards to accommodate him.

If you can't accommodate him, remove the hives. The situation will only get worse.

Giving such consideration paints our community in a more responsible and positive light.

My hives are on the stand too, but they are looking for someone to attack once they feel offended: as I posted above, you can be 3ft away and stand for 2 minutes or so and you might get attacked.IMG_1300.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Artur_M View Post
    The hives are in my yard, more that 4 ft away from property line (law is 4ft) and I have to have 4ft high barrier of any kind.
    I have the barrier on 2 sides (will be building 2 more sides soon, before county gives me fine). The neighbor side is 5ft high bushes, and the guy mows on the other side of the bushes blowing all the dust and the cut grass towards the hives.
    I think there is nothing can be done to satisfy him except moving the hives to other location, but I am surrounded with neighbors, so bees will attack anyone whenever they feel offended.
    Seems a bit like you might just be trying to get by meeting the minimum legal requirements for your area and you have every right to do that. But if you what to keep bees and be a good neighbor maybe a bit more is needed. If the yard man is blowing toward your yard and hive and all you have are five foot “bushes” between you and the neighbor why not do more to protect your investment? A couple of sections of 6 foot tall solid wooden fence should solve your problems. No dust, dirt, or grass clipping coming into your yard or hitting your bees. The bees are out of sight and maybe out of mind to the neighbor or the fellow cutting their grass. Also it should mean your bees are protected from the blowing clippings and from an angry yard man.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post

These kind of things are ALWAYS best dealt with on a personal level until there's a need to escalate. I bet most of us have wanted to kill a colony after a crappy encounter. Now imagine that they weren't even yours.
    This is great truth and the best response on this thread.

👍🏻

I was going to say something similar to post # 18, but they summed it up pretty well. I live in a suburb now and would love to keep a nuc or 3 in the yard, but I realize everyone doesn't have the same comfort level with bees as me. I'm not that friendly of a neighbor but I wouldn't and dont keep hives where I know they will be a pest to a neighbor. If the roles were reversed how would you feel about it?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast