Amitraz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amitraz

Default Amitraz

Anyone familiar with mixing up your own Amitraz treatment? I see Apivar is 0.5g Amitraz and 15g Vehicle. An older beek told me you can mix your own a lot cheaper. Any takers................

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Amitraz

I would give the EPA a call, I'm sure they would really like to hear from you.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Did i miss something? Have they made Apivar/Amitraz illegal? Just asked an honest question and look what I get!

Quote Originally Posted by tedlemay View Post
    Did i miss something? Have they made Apivar/Amitraz illegal? Just asked an honest question and look what I get!
    Doesn't matter what you ask, you'll get those guys. Smartest guys in the room. Don't actually help, just troll. I'm interested in the question as well. Hopefully an actual "knowledgeable" and "informed" person will pop in.

You mean like taktic? Technically it's not labeled for bees though, therefore it's not exactly legal.

I read somewhere a year or two ago that it was banned from production and import into the USA. I never followed it up to be sure about it, you may want to investigate.

Anyone familiar with mixing up your own Amitraz treatment?
    Yes, I am somewhat familiar with mixing your own Amitraz treatment. What you are asking about is the off label use of a pesticide. That's why wildbranch answered you the way he did.

What do you want to know?
    Mark Berninghausen

Yes, Taktic was amitraz produced as a pesticide for use on livestock for control of flies, etc Cohen amitraz was first approved to use for varroa, the manufacturer simply repurposed some of the cattle amitraz for it. The dosage was wrong and lots of problems with its use on bees occurred. It was taken off the market. It has since been re-introduced at proper dosage. Taktic, is no longer available in the US. You will probably find it difficult to source any. Especially in small quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I would give the EPA a call, I'm sure they would really like to hear from you.
    Love the government much?? I know I don't. I haven't been here long but I get tired of seeing these post!! I get the need for the government to set guidelines and control the use of certain products for the safety of people and the environment and whatnot... but geez, I wonder if some people are just sheep needing led. All the person did was ask a question about mixing there own and any others experience with it, not whether the government would approve or not. I also see that they mentioned the dosage that is used in an approved treatment, not some whillynilly concoction they felt like brewing up...

Thanks NAC89. Well said. What I am asking is what is the correct mixture? What is the vehicle? I was told to mix with veg oil 2:1 but don't think the mixture i was told was correct. That's it! Not saying i am going to go off and pour the stuff over my bees like they were cattle. Just looking for a little help/advise.

Quote Originally Posted by NAC89 View Post
    Love the government much?? I know I don't. I haven't been here long but I get tired of seeing these post!! I get the need for the government to set guidelines and control the use of certain products for the safety of people and the environment and whatnot... but geez, I wonder if some people are just sheep needing led. All the person did was ask a question about mixing there own and any others experience with it, not whether the government would approve or not. I also see that they mentioned the dosage that is used in an approved treatment, not some whillynilly concoction they felt like brewing up...
    Mike was being sarcastic. I know, it doesn't translate that well in text.

Actually the OP only asked if anyone was familiar with Amitraz. He never asked about what proportions of what to mix.
    Mark Berninghausen

Thanks NAC89. Well said. What I am asking is what is the correct mixture? What is the vehicle? I was told to mix with veg oil 2:1 but don't think the mixture i was told was correct. That's it! Not saying i am going to go off and pour the stuff over my bees like they were cattle. Just looking for a little help/advise.
    Help doing what? The formula I am familiar with is equal parts Tactik and Canola Oil. Can you buy Amitraz?
    Mark Berninghausen

I have never purchased it but i am told you can get it.

Would you believe me if I told you that you can't? Certain substances require a license to purchase.

"Believe half of what you read and none of what you hear."

Besides, what does it matter whether you can get it. You aren't going to use it anyway, are you? wink, wink
    Mark Berninghausen

The human deadly toxic dose is 3 grams or so -- a heaping teaspoon -- there's a toxicology report on poisonings in Turkey on the web. The quarts of Taktic get smuggled in from Mexico (and formerly airfreighted from Australia).

I've seen pix on a Commercial Beek Facebook site of folks mixing up the homebrew with shortening grease in a sub mixer.

This makes me cringe -- the toxic dose is no more than a dollop, and the safety controls with someone mixing sugar and grease and Amitraz in their backyard (kids and dogs visible in the pix) are non-existent.

Thanks for all your help. These are the things i wanted and needed to hear! Feel free to continue to comment.

Good read. When you get over 100 hives its hard not to look for alternatives to the expensive treatments available today! That's why I asked these questions, so I can make an informed decision. I have never used Amitraz/Taktic or even Apivar but i know those who have. They swear by it and they have had good results with it but I am leaning toward sticking with MAQS for now. Thanks again for all your information.

If you do a internet search for Amitraz you will find it for sale outside the US. Whether or not they will ship it to you is a different subject, but it is available.

I am leaning toward sticking with MAQS for now. Thanks again for all your information.
    If you want to drop the cost of treatment, and are happy with MAQS -- consider a "roll your own" formic dose. 95% purity Formic can be purchased from suppliers such as Duda Diesel that service the "biodiesel" hobby market. You must cut this concentrate to 50%.

Read this publication. "Formic Acid Fumigation" http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/FormicAcid.pdf

Many commercials I know use Formic on swifter mop pads, meat pack pads, chamois and similar cloths. You saturate the pad with a known quantity of formic and are off to the races. A bit of experimentation with a scale shows a known pad holds a consistently saturated dose -- and measuring individual volume is no longer necessary.

Dosage for singles is 40-50 ml of the dilution. A $40 gallon of Formic will treat 150 hives at that dosage and dilution. Additional savings are possible as formic has broad wholesale availibility.

Formic on pads is "flashier" than the gelled MAQS and is thus more temperature sensitive and riskier to queens. My guess is that one of the food grade thickner agents (Agar, Guar Gum, glycerine, cornstarch ?) would reduce the flash evaporation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast