As to what you should do about a beehive on your property: According to the Florida D

Default As to what you should do about a beehive on your property: According to the Florida D

As to what you should do about a beehive on your property: According to the Florida Department of Agriculture (freshfromflorida.com), you have two choices: Have it a) relocated or b) eradicated. If the bees have a friendly temperament, a local beekeeper might relocate the hive. This may theoretically be the most environmentally friendly approach, but it may not be feasible to a) find a beekeeper (ask for their license!) or b) find local bees with a domesticated attitude suitable to an agriculture setting. (Miami Herald)
    http://www.miamiherald.com/living/pe...e94656622.html
    I am with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, and I approve this message.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: As to what you should do about a beehive on your property: According to the Flori

You might flavor that message a bit by adding "unwanted" in front of beehive on your property.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Default Re: As to what you should do about a beehive on your property: According to the Flori

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    You might flavor that message a bit by adding "unwanted" in front of beehive on your property.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

If you don't move that hive quickly, they might bite your dog in the face! Bee bites can send your dog to the doctor.

Thanks ABK. This started my day with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarDad View Post
    If you don't move that hive quickly, they might bite your dog in the face! Bee bites can send your dog to the doctor.

Thanks ABK. This started my day with a smile.
    You mean sting, don't you?
    Yellowjackets and some other wasps bite, as well as sting. But I don't know I've ever been bitten by a honey bee, just stung.

The story is actually from an interview with a vet. I had no contribution to it. They just send anything bee related so we can respond if the information is incorrect. I just answered a question to Tallahassee a minute ago regarding Zika in Miami-Dade. If you are going to the UF Bee College there are Zika talks scheduled and several Apiary Inspectors present to answer your questions. Look for David Westervelt, Caitlin Gill, Rob Horsburgh, or Stephen Cutts. Thank you.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    You mean sting, don't you?
    Yellowjackets and some other wasps bite, as well as sting. But I don't know I've ever been bitten by a honey bee, just stung.
    You should read the original linked story. I was joking, by quoting the story in the link.

Reading comprehension is a lost art Avatar.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

I'm disappointed that the vet called them a beehive instead of a colony. The vet seems lacking in basic entomology knowledge. If a populated hive appeared in my card...but wait... they have... swarms into dead-outs - why do I not think that is what the vet was trying to convey?

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Reading comprehension is a lost art Avatar.
    I don't believe that other guy was even a beekeeper... he didn't show me his license!