Swarm Trap as overwinter hive box?

Default Swarm Trap as overwinter hive box?

I have caught a late season swarm in my trap that was left up in case one of my new two hives swarmed. This is an unrelated swarm as both hives never missed a beat and are still going strong. The problem is that do not currently have any additional equipment or funds to get any more boxes. The trap is an 8 frame deep box and it was a good size swarm for so late in the season.

Any reason I shouldn't just leave the new swarm in this swarm trap box over winter? Just in case I loose one of the other hives this winter or worst case I am able to secure more equipment in the off season to re-hive it in the spring?
    Perry @ Stone Hill Ridge
    http://www.stonehillridge.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm Trap as overwinter hive box?

You can do it, but considering they have no room to move up I'd strongly recommend feeding them as heavily as possible. This will ensure they've got adequate stores at relatively easy access.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    You can do it, but considering they have no room to move up I'd strongly recommend feeding them as heavily as possible. This will ensure they've got adequate stores at relatively easy access.
    Would the intent be to feed them so they fully fill out the 8 frames in the trap or would it be to continue to feed them even after the 8 frames are full?
    Perry @ Stone Hill Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by StoneHillRidge View Post
    Would the intent be to feed them so they fully fill out the 8 frames in the trap or would it be to continue to feed them even after the 8 frames are full?
    The intent is to make as sure as possible they've got their proverbial tanks full as they go into winter. Basically, you're overwintering an 8 frame horizontal nuc. I've over wintered 5 frame nucs but it's very important they've got plenty of stores. I normally overwinter 5 on 5 nucs which give them more population and the upper combs to move up to as winter progresses. The smaller ones merely mean you need to put a little more effort into making sure they got a strong population and plenty of stores.

Thanks for the help!
    Perry @ Stone Hill Ridge

No worries. Good luck!