Anyone doing OAV treatments from top of hive? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anyone doing OAV treatments from top of hive?

Testing a new oxalic acid sublimation device...works from the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT3lp1Y0Rgg

Works with butane gas, oxalic acid vapor is circulated by a small ventilator and the special hood, so the oav gets into every corner of that hive, 3 minutes per hive, doesn't need external power, ...

Still in phase of development, but promising so far. I like it. Little vapor outside the hive, a defined dosage of oxalic acid gets sublimated and is circulated through the hive. Bees are covered in tiny oxalic acid crystals, mite drop is pretty strong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Testing a new oxalic acid sublimation device...works from the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT3lp1Y0Rgg

Works with butane gas, oxalic acid vapor is circulated by a small ventilator and the special hood, so the oav gets into every corner of that hive, 3 minutes per hive, doesn't need external power, ...

Still in phase of development, but promising so far. I like it. Little vapor outside the hive, a defined dosage of oxalic acid gets sublimated and is circulated through the hive. Bees are covered in tiny oxalic acid crystals, mite drop is pretty strong.
    THAT is cool! Is this something that you're (or someone is) developing commercially?

Developed and sold commercially. Semi-commercially that is. No, not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mx34L9LxYQ

I love it. I work four pallets ahead and pull the vaporizers behind me. The fan inside circulates the oxalic acid crystals all over the hive, really every single bee is powdered lightly.

Bernhard,
    Is it safe to assume that when using this device some cristallization takes place inside the hood, but this isn't a significant issue?

Yes, that is right. The more hives you use it on, the more oxalic acid builds up. But it is rather loose and can be wiped off.

The producer of that device is Erich Alfranseder. See: http://alfranseder.de

Hmm , 6 min/hive/treatment is a little bit to much ! . This means that I could treat a yard of 40 in 4 hours !!! . Things will work with 4 machines . One yard/hour is much better , plus that is a not so expensive machine .
    What treatment scheme is used with this vaporizer ? .
    Last edited by Cristian; 08-12-2016 at 01:15 AM.

No – the 6 minutes per hive is the electrical version of the Oxamat. The butane gas version needs only 3 minutes. I do 60-100 hives a day, checking, feeding and treating in one go. I pull the device about four pallets behind me. So I work forward and treat behind me. I use two devices and plan to buy two more, so I can go faster.

That is the electrical version of the Oxamat. I use it for my Warré hives. As you can see, it is much slower. But the temperature is much better controlled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdsbClU0y6I

It uses a car battery and a headlamp bulb as a heat source. The pan sits on the bulb, needs to cool off before reusing it.

Awesome post and quite timely. I treated two hives last night from the top and found it to be a lot easier. Thanks for putting this post up as I never even thought about that approach.

Also, when I treated from the bottom earlier this year, the bottom slatted rack was all carbonized locally from the heat and the nearest two frames had localized wax melting and brood loss too. It got pretty hot it seems. Treating from top with a foil insulator is so much easier and safer- genius! A lot less chance of a fire that's for sure.

I've now used my plexiglass topped box to treat about ten times. It seems to work well. I like how I don't have to struggle removing propolized entrance reducers and no damage to the frames.

I wonder though how good the circulation of the vapor is when I'm doing it from above. I don't see vapor coming out cracks low on the hive like how I see vapor escaping around the cover when I treat from below. Since the vapor is hot initially, does it cool and fall down to the bottom of the hive? I would feel better about this top treatment if I saw some OA at the entrance, or maybe it get carried around by the bees anyway?

See the video. The device has a small fan that circulates the vapor throughout the hive. It ensures that every single bee in that hive is covered in oxalic acid crystals making the application very effective. If in doubt, repeat treatment or use 2 gramm (doubled dosage).

Thanks, I wasn't talking about that device that you posted. I was talking about using a OAV wand.

Quote Originally Posted by Scitfrostbite View Post
    Thanks, I wasn't talking about that device that you posted. I was talking about using a OAV wand.
    The OAV wand will work from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    The OAV wand will work from the top.
    I actually prefer doing it from the top down. No bending or stooping. Just make a 2" or so shim, cut a slot in it for the Vap rod, place a 4"x4" or so 1/4 piece of plywood on the frames (to keep them from scorching/melting) place the Vap on the plywood, cover with the inverted top cover and vaporize.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12