I think my hives are doomed

Default I think my hives are doomed

It will take a miracle at this point, after 10 years in this fantastic remote location the bears finally got in my yard. I used single strand wire for 9 years with no penetration switched to the new netting advertised as bear proof and bamm there in. 3 out of 6 booming hives destroyed. I spent the last 2 days putting the old single strand back up but they know what's in there for them and hit again last night. It seems the destroyed hives have joined the remaining 3 as the 3 deep hives are completely bearded. My job take me away for 2-3 weeks at a time and I'm sure I will have nothing when I return, but a clean up. I put another charger on but these solar chargers don't pack the punch. Even baited the fence they didn't touch it, they like honey better then bacon. Also put grounded chicken wire around it. I have to work with a with a shotgun to scare them off as they come in at dusk while I'm there, very nerve wracking . This may be it for me, bummer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I think my hives are doomed

What brand of solar fence charger are you using? If it's as remote as you say...........................I wouldn't be using a shotgun to 'scare them away'

shotgun would have rock salt in it - and used - not in the air - that would give them something to remember - would have a couple of 00 buck in case something goes bad

polytape or galvanized wire?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    polytape or galvanized wire?
    I'm back on galvanized wire now , I don't know what the net was it was white and said bear proof it came highly recommended, it was a total fail, that I might not get turned around.

I also go away for work and come back, it does make beekeeping a bit more challenging.

Can you haul the three colonies and leftover boxes out of there for one o two work cycles, leave the fence baited, then haul them back out there later?

I three go away for work - and have more time at work for bee source than at home

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McEachern View Post
    I also go away for work and come back, it does make beekeeping a bit more challenging.

Can you haul the three colonies and leftover boxes out of there for one o two work cycles, leave the fence baited, then haul them back out there later?
    Not enough time they are huge and I have no place safe to bring them set up fence and such. I wish they would all swarm now to a nice tree.

Bears are actually after the bees, not the honey.

When all else failed use the sharp razor barb wires!
    Be careful not to cut yourself as those are really sharp. Put up a
    double fenced razor wires around your hives. Imagine when these wires are
    all charged up.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Man, that is awful. We are about 30 miles from a very small breeding population of bears. I have never seen a bear in our area but twice in the past 3 years a young male has been spotted out roaming around about 5 miles from our farm. I know the likely hood of a bear getting into my bees is very remote but still...
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

These hives are in the most densely bear populated area of northern NH. Fish and game will help if I ask, but then every hunter in the area will find my spot.
    Last edited by Jay Burgess; 07-24-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: omission

sorry this has happened to you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Burgess View Post
    These hives are in the most densely populated area of northern NH.
    That's an oxymoron. I rode through Colebrook last week and up there I'm always thinking... what do these folks DO with themselves?

Sorry I can't offer helpful advice. I just spoke with a hobbeek today who had a bear tear down his bird feeder but leave his one hive alone less than 100 yards away. I assume you can't use utility power due to the location? Many people have discussed solar units that can get the job done. Does it require a larger battery array? Dumber bears?