Bee Size

Thread: Bee Size

Default Bee Size

Are Carnis a smaller bee than Italians? I have a Carni queen. Very black and very pretty. Of course I know her offspring can be just about anything. I've noticed that the darker black bees at the enterance are noticeably smaller than the more yellow ones. Is this just some other genetics or are Carnis smaller? The drones I have seen are huge...and dark.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Size

My Carnis are the same size as my Italians.

My bees size is determined by the size of the cells they emerge from. I have mostly ML 4.9 foundation that I was told would stall the varroa. I still like it and my dense nests of little bees. The bees raised on 5.4 are decidedly larger in the same colony.

As I am researching this I discovered the small cell bee. Very interesting. I think I might look into that.

The other thought I had was underfed but I can't imagine that. I've been feeding since I installed and we are still getting a good amount of pollen and nectar.

Optical illusion can be part of it. Lighter colors are interpreted by our eyes as larger than darker colors. This can even affect perception in side by side comparisons.

That said, there is a huge range in size of bees, sometimes up to 30% difference in a single colony.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Some of my darker bees appeared smaller today when I looked at them. Smaller and darker.

In this article's comments small dark bees are mentioned several times.

Bigger dark bees are also mentioned.

http://honeybeesuite.com/return-of-the-black-honey-bee/