Pound of dead bees in front of each hive! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Pound of dead bees in front of each hive!

OK what I would do - Put the queen in a cage - if one not available a cage made of hardware cloth/they will feed her through the screen/stick it to a frame over some capped brood - make the nuc - that will save the queen and buy you some time - give her 4 days and release in nuc - then watch the hive#2 - if they make cells - let them go at it and give them time to make a new queen/mate. see what she looks like - if she's a goody - now you have 3 hives. Build a strong nuc - don't like the new queen - newspaper combine - this can all be done and still make the goldenrod flow

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Alex, didn't see that thread but will try to search for it. Alright, going back in hive 2 and grab some frames and get the queen caged and installed. Let's see what happens. BTW, hive 2 is quiet again. Looks like everyone is happy so don't know if the queen I missed may have made her way into the hive. Or not.

joebrad - give them a week and check for cells - if eggs are found - the fly off queen made it back

Does "tongues sticking out" suggest pesticide?

I want to resurrect this thread.

I put 21 hives to bed for the winter about 3 weeks ago and all looked good. I fed them all with a winter protein patty and left the yard.
    I went back today and I see a similar thing, pounds of dead bees in front and on the landing porch of many of the hives. I only pulled
    three hives apart, they were all dead and the food didn't seem to be touched. A forth hive seemed fine, I only looked in from the top
    since it about 40 degrees out. I looked at 20 or 30 bees with a magnifying glass and I don't think any had there tongs out. I didn't smell
    any chemical smells either.

I'm just hoping that they weren't poisoned by a neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by bob393 View Post

I put 21 hives to bed for the winter about 3 weeks ago and all looked good. I fed them all with a winter protein patty and left the yard.
    I went back today and I see a similar thing, pounds of dead bees in front and on the landing porch of many of the hives. I only pulled
    three hives apart, they were all dead and the food didn't seem to be touched. A forth hive seemed fine, I only looked in from the top
    since it about 40 degrees out. I looked at 20 or 30 bees with a magnifying glass and I don't think any had there tongs out. I didn't smell

colony collapse from mites and their viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    agree, did you treat at all for mites?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bob393 View Post

Treated my hives for mites back in august did a clean up with OAV the 30 of October haven't lost one yet this year even the small nucs are still going. And it's been a lot colder here than it's been in NY. Yes when i got bees again I watched what mites can do to a strong hive. If you haven't kept track of your mites that's what happens. hives die.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon but that that would be my opinion as well. Back in 2012 or 2013, before I finally got my mite control in place, that is what all my hives looked like in December.

Now I'm fully depressed and totally angry with myself.

Normally I treat with Apivar and have had very good luck with it. This year I ran out of time and only gave them one
    treatment with Oxalic Acid vapor, which I know is not adequate to kill the mites in the brood. And never tested for
    total mite load either. I also had a major wax moth infestation that decimated several hives, and we all know that meant
    week hives to start with.

It is supposed to be warm this weekend so I may go down to the yard and pull out the dead hives before the snow flies again.

I guess this is the price I pay for getting side tracked.

I am sooo pi**ed at myself, you have no idea...

Well that's the way it goes when you get side tracked at least you know what happened and it's a reminder to the rest of us.

Pounds of dead bees is not a sign of a PMS dead out in my area, but I am wondering if that is due to the climate differences. Perhaps my PMS bees altruistically leave the hive with their last bit of strength but yours are too cold to fly? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Pounds of dead bees is not a sign of a PMS dead out in my area, but I am wondering if that is due to the climate differences. Perhaps my PMS bees altruistically leave the hive with their last bit of strength but yours are too cold to fly? Any thoughts?
    up here we have cold the bees cant fly if they do they will be all over the snow sick bees will just crawl out and die in front of a hive. and yes sick bees leave the hive that's what they do

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    up here we have cold the bees cant fly if they do they will be all over the snow sick bees will just crawl out and die in front of a hive. and yes sick bees leave the hive that's what they do
    That's what I normally see too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123