Pound of dead bees in front of each hive!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pound of dead bees in front of each hive!

I checked both of these hives last week and installed two medium supers between the top deeps which are 100 percent filled with honey and the bottom brood boxes which look ok. They looked fine at that time. Today I found the ground covered in front of each hive with bees. Took the boxes back apart and found nothing out of the ordinary. Looked at the bees with magnifying glasses and found no mites on the live or dead bees on the ground. Was there a huge war going on while I was at work or somebody spray behind me. I don't know. Very strange as I thought they were doing fine. Plan to look at the dead bees in the microscope at work in the morning. Anything else I could do? Thanks, Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pound of dead bees in front of each hive!

Are those all bees on the ground in that first picture? Wow. How many bees are still left in that hive?

Amazing. My hunch would be pesticide.

There is some crepe myrtle leaves and dead flowers in that. Retention area behind me an wondering if the county sprayed or maybe a neighbor sprayed and didn't tell me.

that could be robbing trying to get started and the hive got it shut down - I not dismissing other answers - just throwing something else in the mix - are those boxes wax dipped?

Almost certainly pesticide. Do the dead bees have any lingering chemical smell? About all you can do at this stage is clean out the bottom boards, reduce the entrances and monitor closely for robbing.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The boxes are double coated with an Agri product that is specifically made for bee hives. I used a roller. I didn't notice a smell but I don't have the best sniffer.
    Last edited by Joebrad; 07-21-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Any of them (in the pile) with their tongues sticking out? My deepest condolences.
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year. I had set up a new yard last fall with 10 strong hives. Owner of property excited about having bees on her property. Hives were 1000 yards or more from houses. Middle of our flow this spring hives had 5 supers and very large population. Someone sprayed the bees and devasted the population 3 hives completely killed out and 2 had to be.combined with other hives. Absolutely no honey crop. The ground underneath hives were covered with dead bees several inches thick. Very sickening to see, I feel your pain. I moved hives to another yard.

I would guess its pesticide related.
    Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
    I would guess its pesticide related.

So I went out to check this morning and there are at least 100 plus more dead and many walking around on the ground in front of the hive. At this rate I wont have any bees left after the weekend. Wish I could see an obvious sign as to what had happened. Both of these hives are from swarms which I caught this year and they both built up great up to this point. Frustration at its highest level!!

How tragic, Joebrad. At this point I think I'd be placing a call to the state bee inspector, if you have one who will come out and look at the hive.

Edit: Several have now mentioned the possibility of a pesticide kill. What's on the other side of that fence?
    Last edited by NewbeeInNH; 07-22-2016 at 07:53 AM.

pesticide for sure.

Call your State Ag Dept asap
    someone poisoned your livestock.
    Most State Ag Dept have Law Enforcement Div.
    just for Livestock problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    pesticide for sure.

Call your State Ag Dept asap
    someone poisoned you.
    That was my thought, but I didn't want to sound paranoid.

I have a hard time even looking at that photo. Like headline newspaper material.

Honestly I wouldn't let this alone for one minute.
    I'd be on the phone asap when possible demanding AG Law Enforcement.

I have looked at several bees under microscope this morning and see nothing that jumps out at me as peculiar. About 10 - 20% have tongues sticking out and the rest have the tongue tucked in under chin. I have a water retention area behind me which is used to help prevent flooding during heavy rains. The county could have sprayed that area without anyone knowing because it is outside of our neighborhood behind peoples back cedar fences. I still have quite a few bees which were on the frames last night when I checked them. Those looked ok. I am going to try and see if I can find someone to take a look at them and see if they can identify something I am missing.

If it is a pesticide or other toxic issue, I would be hesitant about how contaminated the wax may be in the hive now, and the safety of the honey.

Edit: I don't know what a water retention area is, but it just occurred to me that with the zika threat, I wonder how many municipalities are upping their mosquito control. Again, pure conjecture, just a thought.

Joebrad I dont know if this is even an issue but I notice your stands are made out of pressure treated lumber. I intentionally do not use pressure treated as I believe it is treated to prevent insect infestation. I use only natural pine and paint mine?? Again dont know but I dont take the chance

Quote Originally Posted by Joebrad View Post
    I am going to try and see if I can find someone to take a look at them and see if they can identify something I am missing.
    That's what your Dept of AG is for...call them asap. This is what they do for their job. They love this stuff.
    Don't hesitate. Call your city, and county to find out about spraying schedules etc.

Joebrad
    You weren't feeding the hive were you?
    gww

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast