Major Problem, aggressive bees
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Major Problem, aggressive bees

I putting this out for someone who can hopefully give me some unorthodox tip otherwise ive got no choice but to put down my best production hive.

Mind you I have to think about safety of the neighborhood and kids who play daily on the street while making this decision.

Ive got an established hive thats years old. Dont know that it swarmed this year but its certainly a possibility while I was at work.

The honey boxes were stacked way high and the flow is still going (odd for this time of year). I decided to clean out a few of the hives. First two went without a hitch. Bees were nice as pie and really didnt care I was in the hive. The one in the middle (established hive) as soon as I popped the top I got rushed by well over a thousand bees. They completely covered my veil at one point and stung me through my suit. I think they have african qualities however beeks much more knowledgeable than I say its impossible to have this far north.

I got one box cleaned out but I said screw it for the rest. They were just too agitated. I have had aggressive bees prior but when I walked 10 feet away they would subside these guys followed me a good 100 feet attacking. I ended up misting with water just to get into the house. Once inside they meandered around the grass by the door until someone went outside when they would attack. At about 4pm they left and my front door was tolerable again.

Today more than 24 hours later my wife said 10 or so bees rushed her at the front door pinging off her. My dog got stung 3 times (possibly he caused that one).

When I got home I sprayed the walkway stairs and grass around the walkway with a soap and water solution with spearmint mixed in. Yes, I got rushed by two bees. I was able to get one with the solution but the other got away.

I just cant have this level of aggressive bees at my location. The way I see it, I only have one option unless miraculously the bees that are guarding my front door die tonight is to put the hive down. I hate to do it but I just cant have kids being stung while I await a re queening. Plus to be honest the thought of rummaging through this hive is not something that I care to even think about.

I have two options to kill, either I seal the hive and let them die in place, im sure they will go through the 80 or so lbs of honey in the supers before they die or I dump soapy water into the hive.

Does ANYONE have some other way? other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Major Problem

Exactly what happened to me when they came out of winter. I couldnt go outside they waited for ne everyday. The thing that solved the problem the fastest for me was i broke the whole hive diwn to nucs. I sold what i didnt want and kept the rest. When they get big like yours they get aggressive. If the nucs didn't have work my next choice was to soap them down. Others will have ideas but breaking the big hive down will work.

Don't have anywhere to move them until you can requeen? if you need to put them down - Go to Wal-Mart - auto department - grab 5 cans of ether(starting fluid) - at night spray into the entrance - the liquid will kill them on contact - the vapors a few minutes more - DON"T SMOKE while doing this - its a bomb if it gets lit. Anyway they'll be dead by morning - give the boxes a few days to air out. Keep the liquid on the bottom board. This will not hurt comb before everybody jumps on this band wagon. it will stink for a week though. Soap and water will work but how do you clean it up?

Dry ice?
    gww

At this point I have no where to put them. I have other bee yards but their full for the year. I like the Nuc idea but arent I just prolonging aggressive genes in the bees?

what about dry ice?

if you can get the hive sealed off dry ice will also work - Put on a spare empty on top - and that would give you somewhere to put the ice in - tape every crack and plug all entrances

Dry ice across the top? hows that kill below the Queen Ex?

CO2 heaver than air - will sink all the way to the bottom board - better use a good chunk - 2/3 pounds

If you put them on nucs requeen each one. You may not have to go as small as nucs bust it down into thirds first. But getting new queen in the hives will eventually get rid of the mean genes

Breaking them down into nucs should cause them to be less protective and aggressive due to their size and strength. When you break them down have mated queens ready to be placed into them and start the genetic change over as quickly as possible.
    Talk to a friend or 5 about re homing the nucs for a bit to spread out the aggression if that's a possibility.
    Or sell the nucs.

Also you have an out yard? I fine it hard to believe it will not take 1 more hive

ive got two with agreements for numbers per year. the land owners did not want me to have unlimited bees and they were concerned with just having them. if things went easy this year we can increase next year.

Tell him a emergency came up and you need to increase now.

ill drop the hive before i try and rehome a hive that could possibly lose me an alfalfa farm. i have other hives... this was just my most productive... in massachusetts anyway.

kill them off and move on. if you think they are a danger and don't want to work with bees that aggressive then they
    are nothing more than a dangerous headache.
    put the dry ice to them, says I.

Well then a bucket of soapy water dumped in the hive works

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    kill them off and move on. if you think they are a danger and don't want to work with bees that aggressive then they
    are nothing more than a dangerous headache.
    put the dry ice to them, says I.
    Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Tell him a emergency came up and you need to increase now.
    Yeah, I'm sure that will work. He said the land owners were already apprehensive about having bees at all. So why not put another hive of super aggressive bees out there and see what happens! I'm sure the landowner will understand.

Will four or five lbs. of dry ice also lower the temp enough to kill a bunch of them, also?

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast