Review of the Lyson Manual Steam Uncapper - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Review of the Lyson Manual Steam Uncapper

Quote Originally Posted by Planner View Post
    Great review and video. I would consider it but just purchased a Maxant and used it for the first time. They seem to be a similar price. Each of these machines need adjustment. Maxant is hard on the frames. Thanks for the good work.

Thanks. I came very close to buying the Maxant. No question that the Maxant is durable, well designed and built, and gets good long-term feedback from owners. I really don't want to turn this thread into a Maxant vs Lyson debate, but for me, the things that nudged the Lyson over the Maxant were:

1. Lyson produces "sheets" of cappings instead of pulverized particles. This makes dealing with the capping somewhat easier.
    2. The Lyson includes a very nice tank for $50 more than just the Maxant uncapper.
    3. I "believe" that knives may be easier on frames than chains. My initial usage shows that the Lyson is indeed gentle on frames. However, brand new wax will be more damaged than well-seasoned wax.

One of the big unknowns with the Lyson is long-term durability. Compound this with virtually no user feedback and it was a big gamble to purchase this unit. So far I'm happy with the decision, but in a few years I'll really know if this purchase was a good one. Maxant has a great history of making durable machines, so you know exactly what to expect.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the great feedback Astro, still haven't made the plunge but leaning toward the Lyson... I have to do something

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback Astro, still haven't made the plunge but leaning toward the Lyson... I have to do something
    I was tortured with this decision for a couple of years. Last winter I told myself that I wasn't going another year uncapping by hand. I will say that the Lyson machine took an undesirable job and made it much easier. Again, initial impression is very favorable.

Looks like you've got the winter to consider your options. Best of luck.

Tortured is the correct word I'll probably take all winter, but I've narrowed it down to the Maxant or the Lyson

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post

I'll try to post an update after I get my second crop off.
    I've processed the bulk of my summer crop and so far I'm still very happy with this unit. The rate at which it can process frames is amazing. It does so with very few missed spots, which eliminates nearly all hand work. My biggest issue now is that this uncapper greatly exceeds my extractor's capability, so it looks like I may need another upgrade

Astro:

Very good review and logical thought process of how you came to your decision. Thank you for taking the time!

Did you consider or were aware of Lyson's table uncapper (post link)? It seems like it might be slower than the one you went with as it only does one side at a time, but the cost (based on what i've seen it being sold in europe) seems to be a fraction ($700 vs $2400). With everything there's always a balance of time vs money.

My biggest issue now is that this uncapper greatly exceeds my extractor's capability, so it looks like I may need another upgrade
    So what size extractor do you have? Thanks very much for the info on the Lyson Uncapper

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyFarms View Post
    Astro:

Very good review and logical thought process of how you came to your decision. Thank you for taking the time!

Did you consider or were aware of Lyson's table uncapper (post link)? It seems like it might be slower than the one you went with as it only does one side at a time, but the cost (based on what i've seen it being sold in europe) seems to be a fraction ($700 vs $2400). With everything there's always a balance of time vs money.
    Yes, I was aware of that unit, however it was not available in the US at the time. I've seen the videos and it looks like a decent option. My biggest concerns would be that the cut is made blind and adjustment doesn't seem easy. Also, you rely solely on the heat of the blade (no vibrating knives) to uncap, and again its done blindly. I could possibly see "rolling" the comb off the foundation. That's all just conjecture, since I've never used such a unit. If your estimate is correct, then it might be a good option. It certainly seems better than the "Sideline Uncapper" for about twice that price.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    So what size extractor do you have? Thanks very much for the info on the Lyson Uncapper
    I've been using a Dadant 12 frame motorized unit. It was adequate when I was uncapping by hand, but now its a huge bottleneck. This unit could easily keep two 20-frame units spinning - no problem.

Thanks.

Itís been a couple years, is it still plugging away? Anything breaking or wearing out? Trying to decide if I need a clarifier and pump more than an uncapper this year. Easy answer is buy both but funds dictate only one or the other this year.

No issues. Definitely make sure you've got a big enough extractor to keep up with it.

I picked up a 60 frame Dadant a couple years ago, uncapping with a hot knife is getting old.

Astrobee, are you using a clarifier/sump or just straining into five gallon buckets? If using strainer how often do they clog on you with this setup. Also how are you processing cappings? Was thinking ab purchasing this uncapper with maxant jr wax spinner for approx 5000lbs honey/year

I'm straining into buckets right now. The honey out of the uncapper is pretty clean, but if you run any older brood comb through it will produce more fine particles that will clog your filter quicker. With just honey supers, I can usually get two pails before the filter needs attention. I'm using the standard stainless-steel double sieve. A clarifier/sump + a spinner would certainly be a massive improvement (of course with a big extractor too). Currently I'm letting the cappings sit overnight in the tank then I store them until I finish spinning all frames. Then I spin out the capping using the bags hung inside my extractor. Clearly, I using this uncapper in a less than optimal way. However, it has eliminated the burden of uncapping, but total throughput is still limited.

Thanks for reply. I may get one next year. How long does it take you to process 1000lb honey with this setup and will uncapping tray hold all cappings from 1000lbs. How many frames does the uncapping tank hold? I usually try to keep it around 1000lb a day extracting. Last thing, how much residual honey is in the cappings when you spin in bags? How long do you spin?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlestonbee View Post
    Thanks for reply. I may get one next year. How long does it take you to process 1000lb honey with this setup and will uncapping tray hold all cappings from 1000lbs. How many frames does the uncapping tank hold? I usually try to keep it around 1000lb a day extracting. Last thing, how much residual honey is in the cappings when you spin in bags? How long do you spin?
    I've never done a 1000 lbs in one stretch, however, I can say with pretty good certainty that the trays will not hold the cappings from a 1000 lb job. I guess there's a chance, but they would be very full and difficult to deal with. I'm guessing that you'd want to purge the tank about 3 times during your 1000 lb day. Honestly, I think you'd be well served to invest in a dedicated spinner. Again, I let the cappings sit overnight and then store them until I've finished extracting all my frames. Even doing this way, there's a good amount of honey still in the cappings. I believe that the maxant jr spinner would be a nice paring with this unit - definitely something you should consider if you go with this uncapper.

The uncapping tank will hold about 35 frames.

Good luck

Excellent post astro. Anything to add on 2019? Did you run into any maintenance yet? Too hot or too cold? When you have 34 frames in the tank do they still slide out of the way easily for the next onr?
    Did you get a bigger extractor or spinner?
    It looks like a good envestment.
    Happy beekeeping!

Quote Originally Posted by Amibusiness View Post
    Excellent post astro. Anything to add on 2019? Did you run into any maintenance yet? Too hot or too cold? When you have 34 frames in the tank do they still slide out of the way easily for the next onr?
    Did you get a bigger extractor or spinner?
    It looks like a good envestment.
    Happy beekeeping!
    Thanks. Not much new to report. No maintenance issues (no tweaks or adjustments needed), and the performance is still good. Again, it works best on mediums and shallows. Deeps require more management. Deeps will run through the cutter, but it is not (by default) setup to auto feed deeps. Most of what I extract is mediums, so this is not an issue for me. I suspect that it could be setup to run deeps exclusively, but I haven't seriously looked into that. If you're interested in running deeps, then I strongly advise you to contact the distributor or the manufacturer for setup advice.

When the tank is nearly at capacity pushing new frames into the tank requires a bit more effort, but nothing too bad. Sometimes, I'll just (by hand) pull a large group of frames all the way to the end of the tank, which allows cycling in new frames much easier. Yes, I did get a new (used) extractor, a 32 frame dadant. So now I'm running two extractors with the uncapper. The uncapper is still faster than the extractors, but is no longer the major bottleneck that I had when running a single extractor, Overall, I'm still very pleased with the purchase!

Great video Astro....we looked at the larger Lyson System this year, I think it runs about $11,000. We have been running Maxant since 1996 and frankly have been happy but our equipment is getting long in the tooth and we need to increase speed. Without pointing out an particular brand , We are always concerned about what we hear with plastic gears breaking and a general condition of lesser quality in newer equipment. I hear you say it’s early but I wonder if this feels to you like decades of good use equipment and how was clean up? I’m a little slow so what powers the steam part of the unit?’s are grease fittings and maintenance items pretty easily accessible by design? Here’s what we do now which as you can see I see very manual for the number of hives we run.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zer9RzcJ8pc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast