Bears and bees don't mix. Need a better bear fence!

Default Bears and bees don't mix. Need a better bear fence!

I had an electric fence around my hives. but a bear got in anyway. how do ou keep the bear out if electric fence will not stop them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bears and bees don't mix. Need a better bear fence!

I can bet it was a T post and typical electric wire. With an inexpensive charger. Even at that I am a bit surprised because right now bear have fairly short thin fur.
    I like to call them educational fence. Because many learn the hard way. The problem with this type of fence configuration is the bear can easily spread the wire using it's long hair as protection against the electricity.
    To keep the bear from bypassing your fence you will need a stout fence using Posts and tightly strung barbed wire or high tensile wire. placed 10" apart. A good charger is a must with around 6 joules output for an average apiary. This is what they used to call a 200 mile fencer. Three 8' copper clad grounding rods spaced at least 4 feet apart and joined with a single continuous wire from the charger. If you live in a extremely dry area surrounding the apiary with concrete mesh or chain link fence laying on the ground and attached to the grounding stakes will insure a proper ground.

Here is one of my Apiaries.

Miller Bee yard 13.jpgMiller Bee yard 10.jpgMiller Bee yard 11.jpg

Did u bait the fence? With peanut butter or bacon? Also, bears are after not after the honey, they are after the broods. Honey is collateral treat.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto487 View Post
    Did u bait the fence? With peanut butter or bacon?
    Why would I want to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by I'llbeedan View Post
    Why would I want to do that?
    Are you serious? How will the bear or any predator know the fence is dangerous? Bear cannot read your "High Voltage, Stay Away Sign". The only way they know it is dangerous is by licking or putting their nose on the hot wire. Their fur insulates them. Do this put bacon strips on the hot wire, or put peanut butter on aluminum foil and fold an end and hang it on the wire. I had a bear problem this year, I had hives in a fence area and nucs in an unfenced area, the bear hit the nucs 3 times until I threw a jerry rigged fence. He stopped. This bear now that a fenced area means trouble. The fence does not have to be fancy either, but the electric juice needs to potent.

Well, I thought you had an interesting situation. On my tablet, the title of the thread that was showing was:
    "Bears and bees don't mix. Need a better bear"

Never argue with drunks or crazy people!
    Life Lessons with Dogs, Bees, and Others

Ten Bears is right. (by the way where did he get that handle, hmm) Here is a good article on an easy stout fence. Very effective. I built one like it and so far has been very effective against all critters except a copperhead (I am still trying to figure that one out). This site also has good info on all aspects of electric fencing. Pay attention to the grounding it is critical. http://www.kencove.com/fence/76_Bear+Fence_resource.php

dog on ten bears - I sure am glad I don't have them in my area - looks like a lot of work putting up that fence

Matheson - like your idea as well

Are you serious? How will the bear or any predator know the fence is dangerous? Bear cannot read your "High Voltage, Stay Away Sign".
    Unless it's Yogi, you know, he's "smarter than the average bear!"
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

Are you serious? How will the bear or any predator know the fence is dangerous? Bear cannot read your "High Voltage, Stay Away Sign". The only way they know it is dangerous is by licking or putting their nose on the hot wire. Their fur insulates them. Do this put bacon strips on the hot wire, or put peanut butter on aluminum foil and fold an end and hang it on the wire. I had a bear problem this year, I had hives in a fence area and nucs in an unfenced area, the bear hit the nucs 3 times until I threw a jerry rigged fence. He stopped. This bear now that a fenced area means trouble. The fence does not have to be fancy either, but the electric juice needs to potent.
    Lets see, Pennsylvania has 24,000 bear according to the latest Game commission report. The state encompasses 46,055 square miles that equates to .52 bear per square mile. The average range of an adult female is 7 Sq. miles. A juvenile female ranges 10 Sq. miles. An adult male ranges 50 Sq. miles, And a juvenile male ranges 54 miles.
    A deer sense of smell is 40 times that of a human a dog's is 40 times that of a deer and a bear's is 40 times that of a dog. This means that there are a possible 182 bear that will pass within bacon smelling distance of a bee hive. A bee hive in and of itself is ample temptation for a bear why on Gods green earth would you want to entice bear to find your apiary? To test the theory that a cheesy fencer will work? How else will a brae know it is dangerous you ask. when they touch it and it knocks them on their but. And believe me 6 joules will deliver 11,000 volts on a fence a 5 strand 50' X 50' foot fence the mere 1000 feet of wire produces no current drop.
    On my apiary the sign is not for the bear it is for people. the charger I use puts our a whopping 70,000 volts. And can throw a spark well over 3/4 of an inch. A tightly strung 12.5 gauge wire will compress the hair before it spreads.
    If you look in pic 1 or 2 you will see just below the solar panel a camera I have video of a 400 pound+ bear touching the fence just in front of his ears. it spun him around and the dirt flew as he made his retreat. That is how you detour a bear By doing it right the first time. Not by hoping to lure him to a substandard fence and hoping he hits it on a day you have it bated in a place that is sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    dog on ten bears - I sure am glad I don't have them in my area - looks like a lot of work putting up that fence

Matheson - like your idea as well
    They are a fact of life here! The bad thing is I admire the bear, they are my spirit guide. So I often find myself torn between protecting the bees I so adore and regret of denying my brother the bear a tasty treat. Each of my apiaries constitutes an investment in time and materials of around 1000.00. Other than the very first time a bear hit my apiary. American-black-bear-raiding-beehive.jpg I have never list another hive to bear.

BTW the pa game commission will not pay for a second bear raid unless you have a fence as I described.

Quote Originally Posted by billabell View Post
    Ten Bears is right. (by the way where did he get that handle, hmm) [/URL]
    Just for the record It is not a handle, or moniker. It is my actual name. And it is one word. Not that it is important. Just thought you would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Just for the record It is not a handle, or moniker. It is my actual name. And it is one word. Not that it is important. Just thought you would like to know.
    Tenbears, thanks for letting me know and also for the education on the American Black Bear.

Lets see, Pennsylvania has 24,000 bear according to the latest Game commission report. The state encompasses 46,055 square miles that equates to .52 bear per square mile. The average range of an adult female is 7 Sq. miles. A juvenile female ranges 10 Sq. miles. An adult male ranges 50 Sq. miles, And a juvenile male ranges 54 miles.
    Must of the black bear population in NJ are concentrated where I live, Sussex county NJ, the Vernon area. I don't know the statistics or bear population density for my area. All I know, seeing a black bear is a daily occurrence where I live. They walk as they own the place in the residential area where I live. The area is surrounded by forest, and city reservoirs.

Attached are pictures of my tormentor behind my house, a residential area.Bear1.jpgbear2.jpg. My mother saw a mother bear with 4 cubs in tows a week after that picture.

And here are by bees in a flimsy electric fence
    Nuc with flimsy elec frence.JPGMain Apiary.JPG

Before I threw the fence together, if you can call it a fence, the bear hit it 3 times until I put it up and bait it. Maybe the bear knows not to touch stuff inside a fence or maybe he licked the bait and got shocked and therefore knows better. Two years ago, a bear climbed into my main apiary, which didn't have an electric fence at the time. I installed the electric fence and bait it and no bear have climbed into the main apiary. So, my experience has been to bait the electric fence to teach the bears that it is dangerous.

my take on this is: bears in new jersey may be brighter than pa. bears? ...... let's see some more bear fence pictures. i would like to see some of the fences on bare ledge, bone dry this time of year, no soil at all and granite too hard to jack hammer [like some places near here, you can not drive in a ground rod] . the bees work the swamps, until some go dry. this description is of a friend's yard about 3 miles away. problem bears have been shot in the past, this is legal to do in ny. word must have gotten around on the bear internet blogs, they stay clear.

It really depends on the fence and bears are smart!!! I thought I was pretty safe with mine. 6 ft dog kennel panels with a hot wire running 6 inches above the top. Until yogi figured out a way in. I had put a camera on video mode by my hives because I thought it would entertaining to watch them try to get in. They've been trying enough that I don't have to mow the grass on 2 sides of my fence, it's packed down that much. However night before last one got in and knocked over one if my hives a d chewed up a couple of frames. According to the video clips he systematically tested different places on the fence by pushing on them until he was able to push his way through the gate. He never tried to climb up the fence. That tells me he's been there before. So last night after getting that hive back together-they were not very happy- I put chain and a lock around the gate in 2 placed and ran another wire midway around the fence on the outside. According to the camera he didn't come back last night. I also need to beef up the fence between the posts in the ground because I didn't think a fence panels could bend like that, but I guess they can if you are a 400+ lb black bear, you can. Just have to give the bees a few days to calm down.

That is how you detour a bear By doing it right the first time. Not by hoping to lure him to a substandard fence and hoping he hits it on a day you have it bated in a place that is sensitive.
    Bam! Good advice. Noticed a boxed swarm outside the fence was gone today. Spent about an hour cutting all the grass from the fence, tightened the three wires (I could see where the bear had approached the fence in a few spots) and added extra fiberglass stakes between the corner posts. Then tested the fence with a blade of grass. (Didn't have tester). Rather just have a tight, hot fence then all my hives looking like that swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    We don't have them where I have bees. However, just yesterday I bought a bear tag along with my elk tag for bow hunting in CO in early Sept. I've had 2 very close encounters with black bears while hunting elk but no tag. I'd bet now that I have a tag I'll not see one this year. How about trying that?
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...