Plastic foundation - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plastic foundation

I ordered straight from acorn great people. I got the extra waxed. now to figure out how to get them drawn by fall. Ha

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MillerPutnam View Post
    Can you describe the method of rolling more wax on the frames? Temperature of wax, type of roller...method of heating wax. Thanks, miller
    Get a 4" foam roller like this: https://www.amazon.com/Shur-Line-037...m+paint+roller

Dip in melted bee's wax (your choice of melting) and roll onto plastic foundation. If you're patient and careful you can build up the wall of the plastic cells making the cells deeper but either way will work.
    Temperature is just as all the wax is melted. Some use crockpots, some use double boilers. I do mine outdoors with a 1 gallon pot over a natural gas stove flame.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Go to a thrift store and buy a used electric frying pan for a few bucks. You get a good temperature control and a nice flat bottom to charge your roller on. I think you will find you want the wax just barely above melting temperature as you want to build up cell walls not fill the dimples. Too hot is hard on the foam roller too!

Just throw little bits of wax in at a time as you use it up, and tilt the pan slightly so half of the bottom is bare.
    Frank

I place the deep end of a new or clean metal paint roller pan crossways into a 9" x 13" x 2" cake pan. Hot water is in the cake pan. The cake pan is over the small kitchen stove burner on its lowest flame. The water gets steamy, but never really boils. If it starts to, I turn the flame off for a while. I put the wax in the deep end of the paint pan and let it melt. I use the ramp of the paint pan to roll off excess wax from the roller. When I'm done I let the wax pool harden in the deep end of the roller pan, so it's ready for the next time. I let the little bit of wax on the wet roller harden on the roller's surface and reuse it the next time too...a few dunks in the melted wax & it remelts & is ready to go.

OK.... so I don't have any beeswax lying around, but would like to coat my foundations... any best guesstimate how much I'd need for 40 foundations? Brushy mtn has 2 1/2 lb blocks for $9.... one block enough for a coating?
    Thanks for any help. harvested for the first time this past Saturday, and like a newb, discarded the wax caps (after sucking on them of course)...
    Since '14, working on Bee.S. degree.... :) Lots to learn!

It would take about 1 pound per 10 frames to coat them like I do.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Those of you that run acorn extra wax foundation do you still roll on more

Quote Originally Posted by murphys110 View Post
    OK.... so I don't have any beeswax lying around, but would like to coat my foundations... any best guesstimate how much I'd need for 40 foundations? Brushy mtn has 2 1/2 lb blocks for $9.... one block enough for a coating?
    Thanks for any help. harvested for the first time this past Saturday, and like a newb, discarded the wax caps (after sucking on them of course)...
    Nobody sells wax 2-1/2 lbs. for $9, they do have 1 lb. for $9.50 though http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/450/
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by northernpike View Post
    Those of you that run acorn extra wax foundation do you still roll on more
    No, only on the remaining Ritecell that I have. IMO it would just be a waste of time on the Acorn. It's got a considerable amount on it.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Agree with brad bee. I don't understand why you would purchase foundation purchase wax then spend time to roll wax on frames. It's already a pain to assemble frames why add more problems. In my limited experience of just this year, the bees draw it out. All of it. You put the frame in they draw it out and use it. I experienced this even on a moderate flow. I'll never buy anything else as long as they continue to sell it and quality remains the same. I am extremely upset I went foundationless for the first couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Acorn double waxed, Acorn double waxed, Acorn double waxed....
    Acorn double waxed, Acorn double waxed, Acorn double waxed...again.

No need to add more wax to them. A box of double waxed (100 sheets) has 5 pounds more wax than the single waxed.

Nick at acorn is awesome to work with. I had some shipper issues but he took care of it at a considerable expense on his part.

If you need less than a box, give Capitol Bee supply a call. They have it in Stock. Capitolbeesupply.com

Acorn better be a **** sight better than this crap I've got even with extra wax I put on. Junk, foundationless with a starter strip drawn 3 times faster, whole sheet wax about the same. Both sides at once rather than patches on one.

Comparing wax or foundationless to plastic isn't a quite fair comparison. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. Plastic is less expensive than wax (if labor included to wire it) and is more durable and less prone to blow outs when extracting than either wax or foundationless. The downside of course is that it can be harder to draw out.

In my limited experience, the double waxed acorn is superior to single waxed acorn which is about equal to plasticell which is far superior to duragilt. I've never had good luck with duragilt and it looks like even dadant isn't carrying the stuff anymore.

My hives draw acorn foundation as fast or faster than foundationless. We drew a few thousand more this year and the bees and us love it.

Also we drew 100 of their plastic frames this year. The bees love them but I don't like how they feel and how they are much more prone to the bees burr combing them
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Thanks Tennessee bees I will be ordering 1000 sheets of acorn this winter and was wondering about the plastic frames. I am sticking w my original plans on double wax foundation. My bees also pull it out just as fast as foundationless and wax foundation. I love how they will draw it out w minimal flow

Quote Originally Posted by Charlestonbee View Post
    Thanks Tennessee bees I will be ordering 1000 sheets of acorn this winter and was wondering about the plastic frames. I am sticking w my original plans on double wax foundation. My bees also pull it out just as fast as foundationless and wax foundation. I love how they will draw it out w minimal flow
    You will like them for sure. Just like with wax occasionally you will have a slightly wonky comb. The nice thing is you can just scrape it and reuse it unlike the wax. Placing the foundation between drawn honey combs does not work well with any foundation. Placing them between brood works well for us. Typically we add it by the box.

Our bees are drawing acorn right now in a dearth due to light feeding.

And yes the plastic frames really are just too much..... they more readily slide in the boxes, encourage brace and burr comb, are brittle freezing temps, and have many places SHB can hide. If one frame rest breaks you cant use a kit and replace it like wooden ones.

just fyi
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12