Cross wires with foundationless frames?

Default Cross wires with foundationless frames?

I have some deep brood frames that are already cross-wired. I plan to remove the old comb and try using them as foundationless frames. Will the cross wires interfere with the bees drawing out new comb, or will the just ignore any wires and build out a full frame anyway?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cross wires with foundationless frames?

I wired all of my foundationless frames and the bees built them out just fine. I have heard beeks complaining about entire foundations falling out and I don't want to have to deal with that if I can help it.

Agreed. Here's a couple of progressive pics of my own bees building a foundationless comb, note how they neatly incorporate the wires into the comb to strengthen it, same as they would use natural protrusions in a wild hive.

Also, take a look at the second pic and imagine how easy it would be to break that if there was no wire, but with the wire no problem at all. Definately recommend wire.

DMR,
    Too much wire gets in the way. I only use mediums for foundationless but I do use wire horizontally or vertically but never both.
    pulling your honey comb off all that wire will be a pain.
    i think you will be fine doing the same with a deep as well.
    If you're not planning on harvesting honeycomb then crosswire is just fine, but i have no idea how it will perform in the extractor.

Cross wires work fine in the extractor, but if the comb doesn't make it to the frame, it can blow out/ fold over etc., some times.
    I have heard that by "scratching" the edges of the combs, the bees can be induced to build all the way to the frame, but I only heard this recently, haven't been doing it long enough to say it really works for me or not.
    Some times the bees exclude the wires ... I do not know why.
    If you are planning on harvesting comb honey, ether plan for it when you wire ( wire vertically), or do not wire those frames. Good luck! CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

wires = straight comb - no wires = whatever

Agree with sakhoney. I wire everything except cut comb. On a hot day you don't want a deep frame of brood comb with the queen on it flopping off the frame into the grass. Almost had it happen, that's why I wire everything.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

>wires = straight comb - no wires = whatever

There is nothing wrong with wiring if you want to, but it will contribute nothing to straight comb. It will help support what they draw if they draw it through the wire, of course, but the bees do not care if the comb goes though the wire or not. Wires will do nothing to encourage or discourage straight comb.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm#dowire
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Michael - the bees will cluster over the wires and incorporate it into the wax they build - And if you don't have in the wires - and extract the unwired frame it will 100% of the time blow out. I've been in this game a long time as well

And this is right off your website:
    Sure. The bees will incorporate the wire into the comb. Of course you need the hive level anyway, but this becomes more obvious with wire in the comb. Wire is probably more useful when doing deeps than mediums. I run all mediums
    Last edited by sakhoney; 07-18-2016 at 09:20 AM.

>Michael - the bees will cluster over the wires and incorporate it into the wax they build

The bees cluster at the top of the frame. I've not seen them clustering on the wire. Yes they will incorporate it IF it's in line with gravity from the top of the frame.

> - And if you don't have in the wires - and extract the unwired frame it will 100% of the time blow out.

Not in my experience. I could MAKE them blow out, but then I can make anything blow out if I crank it high enough and fast enough, except maybe PermaComb or Honey Super Cell.

>And this is right off your website:
    >Sure. The bees will incorporate the wire into the comb. Of course you need the hive level anyway, but this becomes more obvious with wire in the comb. >Wire is probably more useful when doing deeps than mediums. I run all mediums

I'm not sure I understand your point in this quote. My point is that wires do nothing one way or the other as far as encouraging straight comb. They will support the comb some while it is being drawn, yes. I don't find it necessary, but it does support it in the meantime until it's fully attached.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF