BEEKool ventilated suit from Blue Sky

Default BEEKool ventilated suit from Blue Sky

Does anybody have this suit? Here's a link: BeeKool. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the ultrabreeze seems to be the Cadillac of bee suits, but I cant afford the price. The BEEKool suit looks good, but I'd sure like to hear from some folks who have it or have had it and would like to know what you think of it.

Thanks!
    dow

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: BEEKool ventilated suit from Blue Sky

Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

I have a jacket and luve it
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I have one and while i would like the longer zipper in the legs, I have not been stung while wearing it and many have tried. The pockets are hard to get to with gloves on is one of my complaints so i never carry anything in them.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieRob View Post
    I have one and while i would like the longer zipper in the legs, I have not been stung while wearing it and many have tried. The pockets are hard to get to with gloves on is one of my complaints so i never carry anything in them.
    The leg zippers are now double the length at 14". You may have had an original suit with the 7" zippers.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

I'm a n00bee and I have a similar suit. It could be made by the same folks and rebranded, I'm not sure. I bought it through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Eco-keeper-Pr...ed+bee+suit+4x

I'm tall and heavy so I wanted the biggest size I could find and this was it at the time. I'm longer in the torso than the legs so the shoulder to inseam could be a bit longer for my preference but overall I like it. I installed two packages on 5/7 and have been in them at least once a week since. I also split one that went queenless into 4 nucs, then added two VSH queens. One to the large colony and another in a new nuc I made. So I'm at 1 large colony and 6 nucs at the moment. The large colony has gotten pretty upset while I was looking for the old queen a couple times but they have yet to get me. I have not been stung yet despite the lack of actual fabric (aside from the pockets). Now that it's hot I typically wear shorts and a T-shirt or undershirt under my suit. I wear rubber boots that the elastic legs hold tight against. I still come out soaked in sweat when it's hot, but I can feel the breeze through the entire suit.

The only other experience I had was last summer/fall helping my local mentor do some honey extraction. I bought a Tyvek suit for $10 and used that to see if I could handle being around 50,000 bees without getting stressed/frazzled. It went well but was at least 100 times hotter than the suit I have now. That experience was my motivation for the fancier mesh suit once I was ready to buy my own gear/hives/bees this year.

The BeeKool looks to be a much better price and offer even larger sizes. I wish I had found it prior to my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    I have a jacket and luve it
    I also have a jacket. Holy cow is it great!

Very pleased with the 3 jackets we have bought. Mine, the wife's, and the father-in-law.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Both my wife and myself have a suit each, she has the Domed English-Style, I have the Round Veil, and a spare for visitors, never been stung through the suit, worth every penny.
    Regards
    Martin O'Donnell

Martin,

Can you tell me about the differences between the two types of veils?

dow,
    It's mainly a personal preference thing, my wife prefers the Domed English-Style (link below)
    http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/beek...ent-veil-bkdr/
    She says when you are bending over the hive the veil falls away from your face and gives a little more room which is true, the problem for me is i wear glasses and the focal distance then plays havoc with my eyesight as the veil falls backward and forward whereas the round veil is always a constant distance from my glasses and that helps to alleviate the focusing issue. I find it a little restrictive on head movement also, if you need to look over your shoulder for example, which is why i prefer the round veil (link below)
    http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/beek...ent-veil-bkrr/
    BeeKool are very helpful if you need to call them and i think their suits are as good or better than the more expensive ones out there, we started out with cotton jackets, then went with ventilated jackets, then got the ventilated suits, don't waste your money, just buy a ventilated suit first, yes they are more money up front but well worth it, on those hot days, shorts and a tee shirt, then the ventilated suit, when a light breeze comes along you wil be thankful
    Probably a little of a long winded answer and i hope this helps.
    Regards
    Martin O'Donnell

I also prefer the domed helmet/veil configuration for much the same reasons. I also feel that it is cooler that way.

Thanks again Martin. Any problem with the bees tagging you through the top of the hat?

dow.
    Never been tagged through the suit or hat, but i do wear a sweatband to stop the sweat running down into my eyes,
    https://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-cotton...rds=sweat+band
    i am also bald, so i think the sweatband raises the hat up just enough to stop any stings getting through, have been tagged numerous times through my gloves though.
    Regards
    Martin O'Donnell

Thanks Martin! Great to know.

One more question... does anybody have any idea about sizes on these suits? I'm about 5-9 and weigh right at 200.

Thanks!