Tips on keeping a honey extractor from "walking" during spinning - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Tips on keeping a honey extractor from "walking" during spinning

only has to happen once

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    only has to happen once
    probably true with either a burnt out motor because of a closed gate...or a bucket spilled. I've got to tell ya though....I'm in the room when the extractor is spinning and if it is ever that far out of balance...I'm pretty sure I'll stop it before it gets out of hand.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

You can't make a spin with a closed gate? I can run 3 full loads and on the 4th have to let out honey. Also - the motor should be a DC motor - variable speed yes? if so bogging it down will not burn out the motor - just won't let it get to controller speed
    If its an AC motor with VFD controller - again as long as its turning it will not burn out the motor - what gets motors are them setting in one spot and having electricity running through the armature welding it into place

The Dadant 20/36 I use as my extractor fortunately has a fuse that blew. PITA to go and get a fuse but I could have been stuck with a burned out motor so I really didn't have anything to complain about. Lesson learned to not let it get too full though. Ironically the fuller it gets the less it shakes so I do keep some honey down there.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

hoped ya got more than 1

The motor on mine is an ac. Speed control is via a Rube Goldberg spring loaded pressure gizmo. And yeah.....if the honey got up to the frames in the carriage....something would break.
    My point was....as you said....it only has to happen once.....and I agreed that the same held true for a tipped bucket or a blown motor. I studied electrical engineering...but my degree is from 1972...so some things are a bit foggy. All the same, it is hard for me to believe your overtaxed dc motor/controller won't be damaged. I'm not going to argue it with you....I'll just say that I've seen dc motors get cooked.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Beemandan - if its a AC motor it is using what we call a VFD. variable frequency drive - That's what were using on drilling rigs now a days. I have one setting just right outside of my window right now used on 1500 HP motors X 4 with 3 X 1450 KW generators powered by 3512B caterpillar motors. That's my real job
    Now I did work with DC motors way back with SCR controllers - that's a whole other different animal. But where I'm going with this is anybody putting a drive system together - weather for a extractor, drilling rig, or freight train - has to have a protection system as well just for these kind of events as dcoats above - a fuse or breaker. The ones on this rig are massive - rated for 2000 amps. (that's a lot) While I don't have an engineers degree on electrical - I got 38 years experience with it.
    Steve

Sakhoney

You just broke a beesource record today! And your at work to boot! Your working on over 39 threads! You sure do know a little bit about everything don't you. Slow it down a little will ya I'm trying to write all this stuff down.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

The most popular single phase AC motor used for variable speeds is a split capacitor motor(spc). There area couple of control methods for these, but vfd's(variable frequency drives) are normally used on three phase motors. 3 phase power is not normally found in ones home. There are vfd's that convert single phase power to three phase, but they tend to be pricy. The main advantage of an inverted rated three phase motor connected to a vfd is that not only can the speed be controlled but the controllers can be programmed for ramp up and ramp down, think slow start and slow end, also they can run the motors in reverse. The ramp up is definitely a plus to minimize blowing frames out while they are still full of honey.

Beemandan - if its a AC motor it is using what we call a VFD. variable frequency drive -
    No. My Maxant 20 frame extractor has a single phase ac motor. Period. Maybe a quarter or third horsepower....I'm not going to bother looking. You may have missed it but as I said in a previous post....the speed is varied by a mechanical contraption. I know how my extractor works.
    My extractor rests on a platform with casters. It doesn't walk to any significant extent. The bucket remains under the gate. Photo included in previous post.

hoped ya got more than 1
    Yep. Got 2. The other one is held on with electrical tape behind the motor so I always have it where I need it.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    The legs on my Maxant extractor are too short to fit a five gallon bucket beneath the gate....
    That seems like a giant oversight in its design. Is that how they are still made?
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    That seems like a giant oversight in its design. Is that how they are still made?
    It surprised me when I put it together. I have no idea if they're still made that way....although they'd been making them for years when I got mine....so, I'd think they'd have fixed it by then.

Not anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I agree, plenty of room under mine for the bucket and screens

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    Not anymore!
    Nice! Thanks for the update.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

riski - keep up

Keep up with the posts...lol
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123