OUCH
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUCH

Default OUCH

Inspected my big hive this morning found the occupants to be very aggressive and down right nasty, hive is 4 10 frame deeps and 2 mediums they chased me a good 100 yards still stinging me there is a lot of honey in this hive so I think I will just leave them alone and hope they swarm then I will give the honey to the other hives. Took over 16 stings.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OUCH

I had a hive similar to yours this spring. They would sting me as soon as I left the doorway. I found out that they were queenless. They will remain aggressive until you re-queen. As many boxes you have, you will have to put in queen excluders to isolate the queen. After 2 weeks, you will know which box she's in. Move the queen and box away from the hive. Kill her, wait 2 weeks and kill all the queen cells. You can introduce a new queen in the other boxes by using new brood from another hive or introduce a new queen. You can put the old box that had the queen back on, but put a piece of newspaper between them so they can get use to the old box.

I did see the queen she was in the second medium doing her thing all the honey will be divided up between all the hives so I don't mind her there. And we still have a strong flow going ,
    bees are in the clover and lots of it. They have a deep and 2 mediums all most full of honey so I will just let them be and get more honey . After all the swelling is not permanent

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_ Sprague View Post
    After 2 weeks, you will know which box she's in.
    You should be able to tell from the brood after four days and likely from the volume of the bees themselves after only one day. I like to aggressively split aggressive hives and let them requeen themselves from local bees.
    David Matlock

wearing gear? the amount of people that talk about working their hives with just a veil makes me wonder sometimes..

agree with re-queen unless it was a fluke thing and they were pissy because of weather or something else.

Was wearing gear took all the stings to the but and legs

Quote Originally Posted by syrup man View Post
    Was wearing gear took all the stings to the but and legs
    I took a box of honey off my angry hive yesterday. Put on the full suit for that one. Got stung 10+ times on my ankles through my socks. Steel toe pull-ons next time.

No I didn't get in a fight I got this frome a girl. Stung just below eye brow. Lolimage.jpg

Wow I must have the gentlest bees ever just got done doing the sugar roll mite counts on a bunch of hives in my t shirt shorts and sandals and just got stung on my finger when I pinched a bee.

I did the same thing :-) Also got stung between the eyes. Both eyes swelled shut. Then, got stung on ring finger. Midnight trip to the local firehouse, to have the ring cut off. Blog post with photos.

I currently look like that too. I was just dong an external visual check yesterday like I do all the time and one stung me on the eyebrow.
    Zone 6B

I would invest in a full suit (Ultrabreeze) before squishing a queen. Sometimes your hives will be calm, sometimes not. Imagine if people squished their dog every time it growled at a stranger at the door...Your bees were just doing what they do best, being bees!

This may change at my next inspection, but ... I'm new to beek, have entered hives ~15X, and haven't been stung yet. Always wear the jacket/veil, jeans strapped at hems with Velcro, white socks (yep, white; I've had old beeks tell me dark socks are verboten re: the bees), and Playtex gloves. Overconfidence = downfall, I think. I see videos of people inspecting with only their standard clothes on and wonder: what if a bee gets in a nostril, or ear canal?! It's begging for trouble ....

Lol had one in my ear once. Very tense few minutes with my wife digging at her with a little twig. She finally flew out without stinging me! Got Bubba Gumped (stung on the bottom lip) Friday just for peeking my head around the corner and looking at the hives. Dan you must have some really nice bees no chance of working my girls without some gear on.

Yea I suit up when I go in for inspections got that sting just peeking one day at the entrance. Totally my fault no big deal my kids thought it was funny called me Sloth from the movie Goonies

Could be a number of things happening with your hive. That is a pretty hefty hive and a queen that can do that is a good queen in my opinion. Ask yourself if you want a very productive queen that makes lot of honey but stings more OR if you want a gentler queen that does not produce as much. Maybe more smoke? Maybe less checking. Maybe see if a midnight visitor (skunk or animal) is making them unhappy.

I wear winter boots during checks and duct tape the tops. I don't get tagged very often. Usually its through the suit.

I work my hives from behind and COULD often work without gear but choose not to. Jacket with attached veil and fingerless gloves is all though... and smoker most times depending on what I am doing. As long as I don't open a hive, no gear... visual traffic inspections, moving the hives on the rails, housekeeping around them.

I'd opt for productive and put up with a little hot unless it affected more than just me working the hives.

Going to give them some time this was a gentle hive may be something was messing with them overnight. I walked out in the yard about 3 hours later about 20 feet from hive and got stung on ring finger still can't get ring on it seems to me this hive turned aggressive overnight. It's nice to hear I'm not alone.

I have inspected without gloves/veil all year, but now it's changing. We're hot here, little moisture, not in dearth but the main flow is certainly over. The temperament in the hives has changed quickly. I caught one under the left ear yesterday, then put the darn veil on. For me, the discomfort of sweating on my glasses and such makes the risk worth working without much gear worth it. I'll be using a veil till fall for sure though...is what it is. Hope everybody heals up.
    Brent
    Zone 6a, Started April 2014

I got tagged on the back of my head this afternoon while photographing my better half's hive inspections...one of our colonies was definitely more aggressive than they have been. I finally had to done a veil to get a few more shots, but they were still banging away at me and I retreated. Today was the first that Alison wore a full bee suit, too. To-date it hadn't been necessary to do that even for "deep inspections". 'Tis the season, I guess...
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast