Battery for Oxalic Vapor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battery for Oxalic Vapor

Will this battery work for a vaporizer?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/58...g_shopping.com

Do people use their car batteries? I'm not sure if I want to mess with that. The cost of getting started with vaporizer add up quick.
    6 years-8 hives-T
    brooklyn-queen.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Battery for Oxalic Vapor

The battery you linked should work for vaporizing a limited number of hives. A typical vaporizer draws about 13 amps at 12 volts DC, over a typical 3 minute vaporizing cycle. The 12 AH rating of the battery would suggest that it could put out that kind of current for about 50 minutes or so, but that would be pushing it. So in theory that battery could work for say 6 hives/treatments before recharging.

That brings up a question - how are you planning on recharging that battery? And for additional options, do you have 110 volt power available near your hives - via extension cord etc?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

If you buy a battery online, shipping is going to be high. Why not just buy a garden tractor battery from a department or automotive parts store. They are easy to recharge and come with about the same CCA as the battery you listed without paying shipping costs. I heard that most people just uses their vehicle batteries since the alternator charges it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    The battery you linked should work for vaporizing a limited number of hives. A typical vaporizer draws about 13 amps at 12 volts DC, over a typical 3 minute vaporizing cycle. The 12 AH rating of the battery would suggest that it could put out that kind of current for about 50 minutes or so, but that would be pushing it. So in theory that battery could work for say 6 hives/treatments before recharging.

That brings up a question - how are you planning on recharging that battery? And for additional options, do you have 110 volt power available near your hives - via extension cord etc?
    Oh boy, I'm really in over my head with this stuff. Can I use a house hold outlet with an extension cord? If yes, then I would need an adapter to plug in the clamps on the end of the vaporizer, can I purchase that?
    6 years-8 hives-T
    brooklyn-queen.com

I use a Harbor Freight lawnmower battery with mine as seen HERE. I then got a trickle charger that I have it hooked up to when not in use seen HERE. If you get them when they are having a sale (when aren't they), both items come to about $40 total.

My plan is to run several OA vaporizers at the same time and switch between batteries. They are not too bad to carry around, so not like a car battery and I've done 12 hives at 3 min "cook times" before needing a recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post

+1

A few months ago Bee Culture had an article about Oxalic vaporization.
    The author gave some calculations that were in error.
    So I sent a letter to the editor that was not published.
    Here is what I had to say:

Thank you for the excellent article about oxalic acid application methods in the March issue.
    There is a lot of good and useful information there.
    I feel moved however to respond to the author’s miscalculation in regards to battery amp hour ratings and resultant run time on one battery charge.
    Firstly, the author is using a standard automotive battery. This type of battery should never be discharged below 80% of full charge to avoid damage. Deep cycle batteries should never be discharged much below 50%.
    The battery used as an example has a stated rating of 115 amp hours.
    Because it is a standard battery that rating means that it was rated by starting at a full charge and running all the way down to zero charge in 10 hours. The result is 11.5 amps for 10 hours. But remember, the Varrox runs at 12.5 amps. Also, as a battery discharges, the voltage decreases. How effective would the last few doses be when the battery is approaches zero? The battery the author is using has a run time of about 2 hours between charges to avoid damage. His calculation implied that he would run the battery all the way down to total discharge.
    Deep cycle batteries are calculated over 20 hours. Remember to use that in your calculations.
    Finally, I want to encourage my fellow beekeepers to be safe and use extreme caution in working with lead acid batteries. A freshly charged battery emits hydrogen and using the battery clamps pictured in the article runs a level of risk dependent upon your set-up to explode in your face like a bomb!
    We had two explode together in a barrel handler and yet another time in a scissors lift.
    Battery explosions are not a rare occurrence; they happen all the time.
    Best wishes to all beekeepers for a safe and productive year!
    Harry Vanderpool
    President
    Oregon State Beekeepers Association
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

I have an AC source close enough to my apiary. I'm thinking of using this: http://www.harborfreight.com/10250-a...art-60653.html. In essence, I'm using it as a power inverter.

I was thinking about just using my lawn tractor.

Now I'm wondering if I can just hook it up to my battery charger, if so, what setting would I use.

As a third option, my hives are close to a 110 outlet what kind of adapter would work for that?
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people!
    Life Lessons with Dogs, Bees, and Others

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Man View Post
    I was thinking about just using my lawn tractor.

Now I'm wondering if I can just hook it up to my battery charger, if so, what setting would I use.

As a third option, my hives are close to a 110 outlet what kind of adapter would work for that?
    Have you seen this?

http://dakotabees.com/Oxalic_Acid_Vaporizer.html

I would not run the vaporizer right off of a charger. Too much amperage draw and that's not what they're made to do.

A lawn mower battery will work fine. Pop it on a trickle charger/conditioner and you're good to go.

If you want to run off of AC power, you will need a DC power supply. They're made to feed power to devices. A battery charger isn't.

It seems that a lot of "modern" battery chargers expect to sense a battery at the ends of their charging leads before they will actually put out a current anywhere close to their rated output. In other words, if you don't have a battery in parallel with the vaporizer, you may not get any useful output. This is likely to be the case with chargers that switch to a trickle charge when the battery is charged.

For the purposes of vaporizing, a better choice is an old style battery charger that has no "smarts" - one that you have to watch and shut off manually.

If you put a DC voltmeter across the + and - terminals of the charger and don't get a reading around 12 volts with no battery connected, odds are that the charger is too smart to work with a vaporizer!
    Graham

This is what I use. I have 12 hives in each apiary it does all 12. I have them in each apiary to run my fencers. So I do not carry them around. But they fit nicely into a small 30 cal ammo can. leaving room to store a cord

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-18Ah-CB1...daMGYHmkKtGL8A

If you have power to connect an extension cord to you don't have to worry about a battery. This will work with a 12v DC VarroVap and its easy to connect to.

HobbyKing 350w 25A Power Supply (100v~120v)
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._120v%20_.html

Power Cord (the hobby king power supply doesn't come with one)
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7689

Quote Originally Posted by cobeek View Post
    If you have power to connect an extension cord to you don't have to worry about a battery. This will work with a 12v DC VarroVap and its easy to connect to.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00v_120v_.html
    That is exactly what I was talking about. Good pointer cobeek!

The HobbyKing link in post #15 is broken. Try this one ...
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Note: copy-n-paste links from previous posts fail if those previous links show ellipses in the URL, because the ellipses get copied instead of the hidden part of the URL. You can avoid this problem by clicking the orginal link and then copying the URL from that page, or alternatively do a 'right-click' on the URL in the post and then choose "Copy Link Address" (wording may vary slightly depending on your browser.)
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    The charger sure looks appealing. Usngunr says not to use it. Have you guys had any problems? I just hook up red to red and black to black?

This one seems like it would work but it would be nice to not to have to mess with extension cords and I might not have power at every site.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I got this vaporizer http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ct/DC-908.html

If folks think that the charger will work I am going to get it. Thanks for the help!
    6 years-8 hives-T
    brooklyn-queen.com

I'm going to wire a trailer light plug to mine so I can hook it to the connection at the bumper of my truck. Turn on the headlights, turn on the vaporizer. Lights off, power off...

I was going to use a cigarette lighter plug but I don' t think that's a reliable enough connection.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

the charger Arnie uses will work just fine. I have one and use it too and it's priced right.
    fwiw:
    just run a live vaporizer test with OA outside the hive to get an idea of how long
    it takes to completely vaporize the dose. It's produces a vapor cloud so stand with the wind at your back.
    Once you know the time it takes to vaporize the dose you can pull your vaporizer from the hive by timing
    it on your wrist watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast