should i extract now?
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    942

    Default should i extract now?

    I have a hive with a medium honey super that looks to be full and capped ( they have a second super above this they are working on but thats no where near ready) ( i havent pulled the frames to make sure they are fully capped but it looks that way from looking down from the top)
    This is only Margie and my second year with bees and we didnt take any honey last year
    -> should we extract that one box? As you can imagine we are quite looking forward to getting some honey but dont want to screw things up at this stage of the game.

    As always thanks in advance.

    Oh sorry we live in Rochester NY if that helps.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Campbell River, BC, CA
    Posts
    1,683

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    extract it, then put the wet super back on the hive. They will refill the empty drawn supers far quicker than a super being drawn out.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bristol,RI
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    +1 go for it. I have been weeding out my foundationless honey frames and replacing them with plastic (access to my gf's dad's extractor now) I crush/strained 3 frames last month.. 4 frames today. I'll likely take more as the summer goes on. really flows nice when it's 90 out :P

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Rib Lake WI
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    You could put the full super on top and wait for the second box to be filled. I like to extract all the boxes at the same time then you only have to clean up once.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Algoma District Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,973

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    I have customers bugging me so will extract one medium super per colony in a week or so.
    Frank

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    2,572

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    -> should we extract that one box?
    You should.
    David Matlock

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    thanks guys...ill take a look tomorrow night and confirm that all the frames are full and capped and we will extract it probably Friday afternoon.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sonoma County, Ca
    Posts
    488

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    Enjoy the rewards of your hard work getting them through a winter. You will be pleasantly suprised at how fas that drawn super will be refilled if you still have a nectar flow.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Hubert, North Carolina
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    The easiest way to check for fully capped frames is by tipping the honey supers up and looking at the bottom of the frames. Bee's like to cap the top of the frames first, so looking at the top isn't a good indicator.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    2,572

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepCreek View Post
    The easiest way to check for fully capped frames is by tipping the honey supers up and looking at the bottom of the frames. Bee's like to cap the top of the frames first, so looking at the top isn't a good indicator.
    That is such good advice.
    David Matlock

  12. #11
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    we extracted that one medium super last night-> got 34lbs of honey off it! Will bottle it today.
    I put the frames straight back into the hive after extracting.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warren County, NJ, USA
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    Congrats! Advise to wait at least 48hrs for minute air bubbles to settle.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    2,572

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    we extracted that one medium super last night-> got 34lbs of honey off it! Will bottle it today.
    I put the frames straight back into the hive after extracting.
    Well done. That's good weight per medium frame. Were you using 10 or 9 frames in the super?
    David Matlock

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    Well done. That's good weight per medium frame. Were you using 10 or 9 frames in the super?
    Had 10 frames in this super but not all were filled on both sides ...the two on the ends really had nothing on the side against the wall of the super so I will probably put 9frames to a box from now on.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: should i extract now?

    crazy! i took a look last night at the super that i just extracted on Friday then put back on the hive---> its almost entirely full of nectar already!!!!! Its only been 3 days!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •