SWARMY bees! Will they swarm and leave hive queenless?

Default SWARMY bees! Will they swarm and leave hive queenless?

Hi All,

This is my first year beekeeping, I hived a package May 1st here. They were just booming in their hive so I added another hive and performed a split to prevent swarming. I spaced both hives to keep the brood nest open, the honey stores aren't full in either but the original hive keeps swarming over and over! This morning I saw swarm number three leaving to a nearby tree and I didn't even think they had a queen to leave with. My concern is that they've left the hive finally queenless, and they are starting to fill the brood nest with honey. Would they do that?

Also is there a way to end swarmy behavior? I just can't figure out why they keep swarming because there aren't many bees left and there is definitely plenty of space!

Thank you so much in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: SWARMY bees! Will they swarm and leave hive queenless?

Sounds likw they are swarming with virgins. You can end all but a few cells to curve the behavior. Eventually after 2 week all the cells should be hatched and behavior is not possible. If they already have a virgin you can end all the cells. I would like to understand this behavior on a scientific level. Sometimes the virgins are killed other times they shoot out multiple virgin swarms. On several occasion i find 1 or 2 dead vrigins outside the hive.Also ill find mutliple cells ready to hatch, seemingly b2ing hwld captive by workers. Also find virgins hiding between the inner cover and outer cover while another virgin ia running around inaide the hive. To me this decision making process is not clear. This year i caught 7 swarms, 5 were virgins.

Do you know what breed of bee that hive originally was?

Quote Originally Posted by buffaloeletric View Post
    Do you know what breed of bee that hive originally was?
    They are Italian. I did an inspection today (I've been trying to leave the new queen(s) alone) and indeed it does have about seven queen cells. But definitely not enough bees for another swarm.