Possible disaster.........maybe?

Default Possible disaster.........maybe?

I successfully over wintered a new have from last year, and the hive was doing really well this year. Abut three and a half weeks ago, I was performing an inspection of the hive and just as I had the hive fully disassembled my dog got stung, freaked out, and came running to me. Unfortunately I happened to be surrounded by thousands of bees. During this ridiculous process the hive got bumped and the next thing I knew myself and my dog were completely covered in bees.......smh. When the circus show was over, I'm pretty sure I lost the majority of my worker/guard bees. ��

Since then there has been hardly any activity at the enterance of my hive. I was in the hive today and i did find the queen and she was still alive. It appeared that they moved the nest to the bottom deep box. I only found a few frames of capped brood, I would have thought there would have been more brood. I guess my question is to see if anybody has experienced anything like this? Should I be concerned? Is there anything I should do at this point?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Possible disaster.........maybe?

Does a hive getting ripped to pieces by a bear count? You find the queen when picking up the pieces and hope she recovers from the stress of the entire fiasco. Give them time to sort things out and hope they return to normal. Most times they do! it is a setback, but not the worst thing that can happen.

A little late to need now but dogs can take Benadryl too.

If you have an uninjured queen and a thousand or more bees....they ought to recover.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Tenbears, you're right, not the worst thing that can happen. The Bear incident sounds terrible! how did they make out?
    Last edited by Quad1993; 07-03-2016 at 09:00 AM.

When you say the hive got bumped, do you mean bumped and toppled over? If so, I would expect them to recover. If you mean bumped and not toppled, I think I would be more concerned about the lack of activity and lack of bees.
    I knocked a dbl deep hive off of a mineral bucket stand a few weeks back. I put them back together quickly and after they settled down I went back to check for damage. I only had to repair and adjust the comb on one frame, but the frames were wired foundation and cross-wired, so I was glad of that. They did not miss a beat it seems. I think I killed more bees during my hurried reassembly than died as a result of the falling over.
    You can lose 3 or 4 lbs of bees from a strong hive that swarmed and not really notice a big difference in population. I would keep an eye on them.
    Good luck.
    Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad1993 View Post
    Tenbears, you're right, not the worst thing that can happen. The Bear incident sounds terrible! how did they make out?
    Well the bear actually got 11 hives By the time I got done sorting things out and reassembling the hives, discarding the too badly damaged comb. I had 10 hives. they all came out of it and overwintered last winter.

A full midsummer inspection of a hive that was "doing really well"? It will probably recover just fine as long as it didn't give too much of an opportunity for shb to get a foothold but if I might ask, what were you hoping to accomplish with this inspection?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Oh wow. I guess that's the best case scenario for what happened. Good for you!

Jim, I was just checking the hive and looking for mites or Beatles.

ok this is what i have right now. The hive on the left is my main hive from last year that had the dog disaster talked about above, and the hive on the right is my new hive started this year from a 5 frame nuc. The left hive does have a screened bottom board and the right hive has a solid bottom board, which might play a part as well. it is 95 degrees outside.

DSCN0840.jpg