varroa
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: varroa

Default varroa

I treat for varroa mites with OAV 2-3x/year with 3 treatments 5-7days apart.
    Is it then necessary to do the mite counts?

I am also thinking of getting the mite away quick strips for the colonies with the supers already on...man dismantling them for OAV was a royal pain in the butt!
    Any thoughts ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: varroa

you are guessing. do the counts. at least you are doing something positive. look at the local to you ny bee-wellness site for information on doing the counts.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post

I am also thinking of getting the mite away quick strips for the colonies with the supers already on...man dismantling them for OAV was a royal pain in the butt!
    Any thoughts ?
    Dont pull them down to do OA Vapor; put blocker under the supers for an hour. I find two overlapping pieces of sheet metal or plastic can be slipped between the boxes by lifting one end of the supers stack, insert one sheet, lift other end of stack, insert other sheet slight overlap of first one. You can do it almost as quick as typeing about it. You still have to split the stack to place the MAQ strips, though only once, not three times.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Dont pull them down to do OA Vapor; put blocker under the supers for an hour. I find two overlapping pieces of sheet metal or plastic can be slipped between the boxes by lifting one end of the supers stack, insert one sheet, lift other end of stack, insert other sheet slight overlap of first one. You can do it almost as quick as typing about it. You still have to split the stack to place the MAQ strips, though only once, not three times.
    You can even use newspaper and not have to remove the paper at all, let the bees do it.........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Any thoughts ?
    Not trying to be a smart alek, but why do you treat 2-3 times per year without a count? OA is a treatment, not a preventative. Seems like a lot of needless wear and tear on the bees, and a lot of potentially needless effort on the beekeeper. Although I fully understand that an OAV treatment is a lot faster than a sugar roll or alcohol wash. But it is an organic acid, and why introduce it to the hive if you don't need to? Just asking.

this is just my second year.
    -> from my reading seems like spring and fall are the right times to do the OAV to dec the mite numbers.
    I guess i will start doing the sugar roll count like on the ny bee wellness website.
    I will order the mite away strips also.

Far as doing the counts i guess my take on it was if im doing an effective and regular treatment then how would i change that based on the counts? does that make sense?

this is just my second year.
    -> from my reading seems like spring and fall are the right times to do the OAV to dec the mite numbers.
    I guess i will start doing the sugar roll count like on the ny bee wellness website.
    I will order the mite away strips also.

Far as doing the counts i guess my take on it was if im doing an effective and regular treatment then how would i change that based on the counts? does that make sense?
    That's just it, without counts you don't know if it's effective, or even needed.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    You can even use newspaper and not have to remove the paper at all, let the bees do it.........

Yes, a good tip. Will be using that the next round I do. Have more hives this year and running out of freebee flashing sheets!
    Frank

cervus...you make a good point and certainly i will do the counts since that seems the consensus from folks here who know a lot more than me.
    However i thought that there was not a more effective way of treating for varroa other than OAV or mite away strips hence if there are mites after these treatments are done regularly where does one go to next? other than to treat more frequently i guess.
    Its the analogy that doing tests is like picking your nose in an elevator--> you need a plan what you are going to do when you find something.

As far as are the treatments necessary again perhaps im being a naive noob here but i thought more or less all hives have varroa to differing degrees. That is kinda suggested also on the NY bee wellness website.
    Also i have seen mites early on last year on the bottom board slide in insert ( has a grid on it for finding the mites) after doing OAV treatments.

Having said all that im now curious and will def do the count this week after work.

I don't think there is a more effective treatment either. And yes, it's a safe bet that all hives will harbor some mites. And probably always will. The question then becomes at what threshold is treatment warranted? Mite counts just give you a number to check against that threshold. I like your analogy

Here's some information on taking mite counts. Also has recommendations on mite loads in northern climates.

https://www.beelab.umn.edu/sites/bee..._version_s.pdf

And here's a very good video which demonstrates mite counting by Dr. Dewey Caron, who evidently knows a little bit about beekeeping. 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU06KJTxHR8

BTW I watched this video and two days later I went to a demonstration put on by a guy from a bee club I belong to. I'm glad I went, but after watching that video, I could have skipped the live demo.

cervus...you make a good point and certainly i will do the counts since that seems the consensus from folks here who know a lot more than me.
    However i thought that there was not a more effective way of treating for varroa other than OAV or mite away strips hence if there are mites after these treatments are done regularly where does one go to next? other than to treat more frequently i guess.
    Its the analogy that doing tests is like picking your nose in an elevator--> you need a plan what you are going to do when you find something.

As far as are the treatments necessary again perhaps im being a naive noob here but i thought more or less all hives have varroa to differing degrees. That is kinda suggested also on the NY bee wellness website.
    Also i have seen mites early on last year on the bottom board slide in insert ( has a grid on it for finding the mites) after doing OAV treatments.

Having said all that im now curious and will def do the count this week after work.
    Another point to consider: Treat only when necessary and vary your treatments because we all want to prevent the dreaded mite from developing a resistance to the treatments.

yup that all makes a lot of sense...testing it is!

Cervus-->when i just came out of med school ( many years ago now) my mentor told me that analogy about ordering tests...i have shared it with many medical students and residents over the years since.

Testing is something that should be done for everyone. I have never had an significant number. I treated because doing a count in the Africanized bee hive seemed rather logical. Do I want to mess with the silly bees and find out I do and have to do it 3 times VS 2 times. 2 times. Treat and pull the strips.
    I do now have VHS queens in all my bee hives, so in August I will start doing my count and see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    OA is a treatment, not a preventative. Seems like a lot of needless wear and tear on the bees, and a lot of potentially needless effort on the beekeeper. Although I fully understand that an OAV treatment is a lot faster than a sugar roll or alcohol wash. But it is an organic acid, and why introduce it to the hive if you don't need to? Just asking.
    Why not do an OAV treatment rather than a sugar roll or alcohol wash to get a count? Easier, faster and a far more reliable count. As far as introducing OA to the hive, it's naturally there anyway. All you're doing is temporarily elevating the level of it. The bees carry carry it out within days of treatment and the hive returns to pre-treated OA levels. There is no "wear and tear" on the bees. You see a hive after treatment, it is "livelier" and the bees seem as if a great burden has been lifted from them...........for indeed it has...

Larry, what does the OA label say about applying OAV in the middle of the summer? My recollection of the label I read is that it is offline (illegal) use.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

European research indicates that when brood is present, vaporization three to four times at weekly intervals is an effective Varroa control. However, the U.S. OA label does not address this strategy and European recommendations prescribe treatments during broodless periods at temperatures between 35-61∞.

...so the answer is that using OAV this time of year in the US is a offlable application and is illegal?
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

Dean is correct, per the EPA label, oxalic acid application in the middle of the summer is restricted.

Here is the relevant part ...
    USE RESTRICTIONS:
    Use only in late fall or early spring when little or no brood is present.

Read the entire label here:
    https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem...1-20151013.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

up here in the northeast woods we have "woods lawers" to help us keep track of every dot and coma in the fish and game laws. this is good for hobby hunters and fisherman. for the out of work, no-benifits folks with a hungry family this is not as helpful. i am interested in what works for varroa control. there are a lot of intersting ideas here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast