I am calling the dearth in the Pacific NW - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I am calling the dearth in the Pacific NW

You called it JanO! July 1st, I started feeding, nothing out there blooming. Hot and dry here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Update on the dearth. Still looks like they are bringing it in heavily. Clover is all over the place still. The big hive filled a super in a little over a week on undrawn frames.

It's going to rain starting Thursday and doesn't look to let up anytime soon, my guess is our big dearth for the year won't be here for a while.

Yup, all done here in Portland area. Just got back into town and found it had been raining f or the weekend (odd for this area) and there does seem to be a second blackberry bloom in affect (pretty sparse). I tore up my knee and I am going to pull supers this week if I can get some help, treat and try to raise some queens before it is too late.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

NW beeks, please keep this thread going. I am new at this and find all your updates very very helpful. Did the mild early July help keep the blooms going? How do you see things now with the sunnier skies and not much rain?

I live ~10miles north of Seattle, near Lake Washington, so there are creeks and wetlands in the neighborhood. Knotweed is now in bloom in part shade locations as well as in sunny spots, but not enough to give a good nectar flow. The amounts of honey in my unfed hives seem constant in the past few weeks. Bees are not drawing new combs. My Carniolan queens are actively laying but no longer making drones.

I was in Seattle two weeks ago visiting family, and could not believe the millions of blackberries lining all the highways out there. You guys must get one heck of a blackberry flow, even in Seattle and Redmond proper. It was shocking. (As were the lavender farms just outside of town).

Just east of portland in gresham. The flow isn't as strong but they are still bringing something in. I think there is a bit of clover and some blackberries around... And probably whatever they are scrounging up from local gardens.

New comb still being built but brood laying seems quiete a bit cut back. Any brood that were in the supers were all pulled down about 2 weeks ago.

I saw this flowering bush with lots of bee activity just a few minutes ago. This is in Vancouver, WA. What kind of tree or bush is it?
    image.jpg

Also, a good number of bees on a field covered with dandelion.
    Last edited by JeronimoJC; 07-31-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Looks like sacred sage, need closer pics of flowers and leaves. good stuff for bees if it is sage.

butterfly bush but like davidZ, need more pictures. I have lots of them down here.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I'll try to remember to snap a closeup next week. It was at church.

Butterfly bush or Buddleja. Very prolific ornamental. Very attractive to all pollinators.

Quote Originally Posted by JeronimoJC View Post
    I saw this flowering bush with lots of bee activity just a few minutes ago. This is in Vancouver, WA. What kind of tree or bush is it?
    image.jpg

Also, a good number of bees on a field covered with dandelion.
    I remembered to take pics of the flowers. See images below.

Also, it rained a little in the Portland area. Will this make any appreciable difference?

image.jpg

image.jpg

So the dearth seems to be in full effect but what is the deal with the dandelions? It is dandelion galore right now and I'm seeing almost no bees on them... I was up at my uncles near cinnabar washington and his bees were full onslaught on the dandelions... Is their a better flower out for them down here? I thought dandelions were preferred for honey bees?

Now that I think about it, I've never seen honey bees on the dandelions here.

Yes, I have dandelion envy.

>Now that I think about it, I've never seen honey bees on the dandelions here.

Same here. I see them on "false" dandelions (aka Cat’s ear, Hypochoeris radical), but never on "true" ones (Taraxacum official).

Chances are that you are not looking at dandelions but rather false dandelion or hawkweed? Stems to the flowers are solid, not hollow, and the plant tries to smother the grass or other weed from around the main stem. We get the nice dandelion in the early part of spring until it stops raining.

I keep thinking we must be in dearth but the bee's just keep bringing it in here. Last week I noticed one hive was starting to look to be headed towards honey bound so I put a super back on just to see. I checked and for the first 5 frames full of honey. not capped yet but very full. So I guess we are not in dearth here in Vancouver wa yet....

I am glad you shared your take on this. I am new at this, but I also felt we are not in a dearth. The cooler summer and the little rain in the last couple of days seem to be helping a bit.

Star thistle is blooming here but will probably be over in another week.

Decentflow up here right now on the invasive species that flower in the summer. Right now it's Himalayan Balsam, and Japanese Knotweed is coming up. (Fraser Valley, BC)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast