I am calling the dearth in the Pacific NW
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sad I am calling the dearth in the Pacific NW

Blackberries are pretty much done and we really don't have much more blooming this year on the west side of WA State. Although sunflowers will be blooming in a few weeks, if there's any in the area. I have a few planted, but not many. I've pulled my honey supers and started feeding 1:1 syrup already, and it's only July 1. In a few weeks I'll add the pollen patties for fall/winter brood buildup. How about everyone else? what's your location and nectar flow running like?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I am calling the dearth in the Pacific NW

Fireweed are starting to bloom here in western Alaska. My two small hives are going to be happy here soon.

Hear in over heated, under watered Montana, the main flow is on and nectar is pouring in, but without rain soon in my area it will come to a screeching halt and we will be done storing surplus for the year on many locations.

Looks like clover and dandelions are still going strong here. Wheather or not they are still filling supers, I'm not sure. Going to check the big hive later today and will edit.

I did have to add a super on a hive two days ago. They drawn out 6 deep frames in a week. 4 looked chalked full of nectar. (They completely filled the last brood box I'm lucky they haven't swarmed..... yet)

i've seen em working the clover apx 4 days over the last month supers aren't getting filled, but nectar shakes out of the brood boxes

We are in full tilt main flow in the Denver region. The "Monsoon season" is bringing regular afternoon, evening & overnight rains, fueling the (main) clover & alfalfa flows.

A couple dozen more drawn supers, would be helpful, yesterday...
    Last edited by Colobee; 07-01-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

And, as if on Que, the afternoon drenching is in effect. 'Hope some of it makes it up your way, Vance,
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

We've had no rain here in Los Angeles in at least 2 months. I'm feeding.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

Vancouver Wa, here I still have some BlackBerry, fireweed, clover, dandelions, and just about every yard seems to have lavender in bloom too, also the mimosa's are blooming and sometime tree I do not know what it is though.

It has been over here for a couple of weeks. Since I don't get knotweed, my honey year is over. I have already extracted and it was a horrible year for blackberry. However, it was a great year for maple and a great year for expansion, which was the main plan for this year. .

To be accurate, i usually call my location the Pacific nw as well, but more accurately it is called the inland empire. So in my specific location, there is much in bloom still and they've been bringing it in since mid June.

I predict we've got at least another month maybe month and half before we hit the dearth. Knapweed has yet to bloom and this year was wetter than the last. Last year i got 240 pounds off of 12 hives in a drought. Can't wait to see what it'll do this year!

I live in Eatonville, Washington, 30 miles or so south of Tacoma...
    Clover is showing itself.. Thistles are still working.. We are in an area of small pockets of residential, but mostly large lots and farms (20 acres to 140 acres). We have quite a few cows (meat and dairy) in the neighborhood, no commercial agriculture.

My nuc is a week in the 10 frame (just added frames 8 and 9 tonight), so I'm still feeding 1:1 at the entrance.. I do have some foragers returning.. quite a few with pollen showing.
    I'd like to make them work for their dinner, but until I get the second box going, I'll still keep them in 1:1.

I wished I coulda' started earlier this year, but I've been putting it off for years... (1970's is when I was first interested, but only this year did it happen). I was lucky to do it all.

My blackberry petals are falling, dandelions go fast, haven't seen any fireweed, I have a fair sample of flowering plants near the hive, but I don't see any girlie-action, but I've tried.

We started putting in all the sugar syrup gallon bottles and half gallon bottles because we thought the bloom was over and the dearth had begun. Much to our surprise, suddenly, lots of honey coming in...and couldn't figure it out...then a friend told us it is the star thistle. So now, we are removing all the sugar syrup.

On a side note, this is the year we were to have a massive Eucalyptus bloom [every second year]. Two years ago, the forest looked like there was snow on the tops of all the trees but in reality, it was a massive Eucalyptus bloom with pollen crazy strong.

This year, the Eucalyptus bloom was so dismal it was almost as if it never even happened.
    Last edited by soarwitheagles; 07-02-2016 at 02:46 AM.

Blackberries are done in the East Side. Fireweed has not started yet. Should be soon though. Just bought 300 gallons of syrup for the hives not headed into the mountains for fireweed.

I'm an hour north of Seattle. Last week I thought the blackberry was done but started looking more closely and there is a second bloom coming on. I would estimate it to be about 10% of the original bloom so it's not huge but there is fresh nectar falling out of the super frames. This second bloom isn't everywhere but it seems to be at least covering about half of my yards. Also, these yards have filled supers to AT LEAST an average blackberry yield while many of my other yards are showing a dismal blackberry yield.
    I'm also seeing a lot more dense clover and fireweed patches than most years. The fireweed in the mountains hasn't started blooming yet but is about 5-6 feet tall and should start in a week or 2. I'll be moving hives up late next week.

Talked to my wife in Grants Pass, Or 30min ago this early am...Blackberries still popping, Catalpa trees still blooming insanely, and more flowers now popping along side the road, mustard, sunflowers, poppies, lupines and more
    I don't think it's a Dearth here yet...

My bees are still drawing drone-sized combs on foundation-less frames without feeding and putting nectar there. I live in a suburban area (10 miles north of Seattle) where homeowners tend their gardens pretty well (=flowers throughout summer). The lawn around the shopping center nearby is well watered but not well mown (= lots of Dutch clovers). A few creeks run through the neighborhood into Lake Washington, around which blackberry flowers still remain and knotweed will begin to bloom in late summer. But yeah, the best time of the year is over.

We're still getting rain almost every afternoon or evening. I went scouting for where the clouds of foragers have been heading. I finally found it - about a mile SE of here - hundreds and hundreds of acres of yellow sweet clover in full bloom. There was a small band of cattle grazing through - up to their bellies in it.

[QUOTE=Colobee;1444365]We are in full tilt main flow in the Denver region. QUOTE]

I'm so glad you said that! As a newbee not knowing yet how to read the flow/dearth situation, I was worried that the pounding hailstorm we had last week had killed off all the flowering plants (it sure did a number on our yard and garden!) and that there'd be a dearth while the plants were recovering. Especially since my one little hive has really stepped up its sugar-water consumption the last few weeks - used to take a week to go thru a quart, and it's now down to 2 days.

Or might they just be taking more now because a couple of batches of new brood have just emerged, doubling the population at the very least, and the former house bees are graduating to forager status? (Sorry if that's a dumb question... the learning curve is pretty steep right now...)

Wosiewose

Our blackberries are still popping open but mostly done. Starthiste just started and some river bottom bloomers are still popping up. 3 of my hives drew out and filled a medium each over the last 2 weeks. Haging started beekeeping in a severe drought, i am very pleased in honey production in a more normal year.

I expect our dearth to be in full effect in a few weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast