Aster Already...?

Default Aster Already...?

A couple of weeks ago I did a double take driving down through the woods to one of my apiaries.
    It looked like some purple aster was blooming besides the road. I thought it might be an anomaly, but since both the purple and the white have blown up everywhere.
    We had an extremely warm June (about 8-14 degrees above average almost every single day). To share the timing of other blooms our white sweet clover is in full bloom right now. And our elderberries are going crazy at the moment as well.

I either was blind to this stuff blooming this early the last two years or it didn't. The jewelweed (touch-me-not) hasn't even bloomed yet and it seems like aster followed that by a month or so?

That picture was taken 6/14 and last night I was picking up a nuc down there in the dark and the production hives were making the apiary smell positively fall-like.

I'm know that I'm crazy... but am I crazy thinking that this is really really early for asters?
    If anyone has experienced this what's the fall flow outcome been like? We were dry the first half of June but on the back half we ended up getting about an inch more than average rainfall for the month (average is like 4.5").

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Aster Already...?

I call those early asters.....'befores'.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

We've had the aster for well over a month in IN. Also seeing goldenrod, butterfly weed, Joe pye. Yellow sweet clover is done and white sweet is winding down. Fall is early again here. Last year was the same. I feel it gave a longer fall flow that just started earlier than usual. Some plants finished out earlier than usual, but others we're more on time so the bees had a better opportunity to cash in on more variety than normal I think.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-the-fall-flow

Is it daisy fleabane?

It is an Erigeron, daisy.

The "blue" asters (really purple, maybe A. alpinus) have been blooming in my garden for 2 weeks. 84084

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burrup View Post
    It is an Erigeron, daisy.
    I was wondering if it were something other than actual "aster". There are tons of white ones similar to these as well.
    How can you tell the difference? The leaves?

I've never seen these... or at least never noticed them blooming in this abundance before. There are fields of the white ones in some places.
    My eyes have been opened.

Does anyone know what might cause the odor I smelled? It was very fall like.

JW the easiest way to separate Asters from Erigeron is bloom period. Erigerons bloom on the lengthening day. Many are still in bloom even though the days are shortening, but they formed their buds on increasing day length. Asters do not form buds until the days start to shorten. Look at the shape of the flower disc, the petals are attached to the disc.
    Erigerons have a flat disk. Asters look more like a pineapple, or upside down tear drop in shape.

Awesome, thanks, Dave!