Setting up double Nucs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting up double Nucs

I have a few questions for those that have done this successfully:
    With the divided bottom box, what should the frame configuration be when making my splits? 1 frame of honey 1-2 frames of bees/ brood, 1 frame of foundation? Where/ what order should these be placed in the bottom box?
    For one of my set-ups, I will be using purchased mated queens that should be ready around the first week of July. How should I introduce them into these Nucs?
    Thank you
    Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Setting up double Nucs

Watch Michael Palmer's videos "Sustainable Beekeeping" and "Keeping Bees in the Frozen North" (( or titles similar/close to that)) and I think they will completely answer your questions -- especially since he raises bees close to your area.

It also depends on your flow. I'm assuming since you're using foundation you have no more drawn comb. They will need some sort of stimulation to get that drawn. Last week I made some up w laying queens and used three frames of brood (2capped 1open) one frame of honey and a pollen frame. I checked yesterday and the remaining 3 frames were drawn given me a full 4 over 4 going into a dearth. I added another super and will check on them in 10 days and see if I need to feed.

Might want to go with 3 frames of brood in Maine
    Friend tells me take time to stop and smell the roses I say "I do then I take 10 steps quicker to make up for lost time"

3storyNucs.jpg

Would this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    I have a few questions for those that have done this successfully:
    With the divided bottom box, what should the frame configuration be when making my splits? 1 frame of honey 1-2 frames of bees/ brood, 1 frame of foundation? Where/ what order should these be placed in the bottom box?
    For one of my set-ups, I will be using purchased mated queens that should be ready around the first week of July. How should I introduce them into these Nucs?
    Thank you
    Jason
    Starting at divider, 1 frame honey, 1 good frame of sealed brood, one frame of open brood, one frame of something...pollen/nectar/eggs/a little brood.
    Brood frames and honey frame well covered with bees.

We make up the nucs (50 or so) and take them to their apiary. They're given the queens right then. In mailing cage with cork pulled from candy end.

As for the physical construction of the nucs, I made a photo album of one method that I'm trying, and there are some good links in the album description too...

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisKormos...9685882&type=3

And the first atttempts at using:

https://www.facebook.com/16035874865...40047069575127

If your making nucs is best to use alot of nurse bees. The best reason is they are more willingly to accept a new queen. Just hang the queen and in three days go see thier attitude towards her if its good release if not hang longer. Or hang and let them eat the candy for a bee release. You will have no problem if you start your nuc with nurse bees and brood. Most importantly feed the nuc.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Starting at divider, 1 frame honey, 1 good frame of sealed brood, one frame of open brood, one frame of something...pollen/nectar/eggs/a little brood.
    Brood frames and honey frame well covered with bees.

We make up the nucs (50 or so) and take them to their apiary. They're given the queens right then. In mailing cage with cork pulled from candy end.
    This was the information that I was looking for. Do you think that setting them up sometime around the 6th- 8th of July will be too early? That is approximately when the Queens will be ready. I am guessing that if it is a little too early, I am going to have to manage them a little more. Any suggestions?
    Also can the frames of brood come from the same donor hive or is that asking for trouble?
    I have a 5 over 5 colony that was made up early in the season from a package and multiple splits were made from it. That particular colony is doing real well in the 5 over 5 set-up and I could potentially split it up and take 4 more frames of brood from it to make the two more Nucs and keep that one in a 5 over 5 set-up
    The new splits will be in a 4 over 4 configuration with the divided bottom and will be used as breeder queen colonies next year.
    Last edited by Cuttingedgelandinc; 06-28-2016 at 05:34 PM.

>Do you think that setting them up sometime around the 6th- 8th of July will be too early? That is approximately when the Queens will be ready. I am guessing that if it is a little too early, I am going to have to manage them a little more. Any suggestions?

Not too early. If that's when the queens are ready, that's when you make the nucs.

>Also can the frames of brood come from the same donor hive or is that asking for trouble?

Of course they can. Or from several. Why is that asking for trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    >Do you think that setting them up sometime around the 6th- 8th of July will be too early? That is approximately when the Queens will be ready. I am guessing that if it is a little too early, I am going to have to manage them a little more. Any suggestions?

Not too early. If that's when the queens are ready, that's when you make the nucs.

>Also can the frames of brood come from the same donor hive or is that asking for trouble?

Of course they can. Or from several. Why is that asking for trouble?
    I was thinking that being so close together, that the pheromone may play into this if all frames are from the same donor hive. I am not planning to take the new splits away from my apiary so should I shake on some extra nurse bees or not worry about it?
    I will document how all of this goes for anyone interested.

Michael what is your cut off date for making the four framers? I have been using 200 of them up here as queen mating nucs (love them for that).
    Do you overwinter all of them as double 4's (two storys)now, or do you still overwinter some as true four framers?

What works well for me is pulling three frames of brood, one capped, two wet, shaking off all the bees and putting them in a hivebody over a queen excluder. I replace two of the pulled frames with foundation. No searching for queens and in a few hours the frames are covered with nurse bees.

Toward divider I put a frame of honey, shake the bees off a wet frame and move the other two and fill the nuc, five frame in my case with foundation. The shaken frame goes back in the donor. I move the nucs about twenty yards and install the queen cage and let the bees release her. STAY OUT for ten days. Almost perfect acceptance

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    I was thinking that being so close together, that the pheromone may play into this if all frames are from the same donor hive. I am not planning to take the new splits away from my apiary so should I shake on some extra nurse bees or not worry about it?
    I will document how all of this goes for anyone interested.
    When we're doing them in the same yard, we shake a frame of nurse bees off open brood into the splits. If we don't do this, some of the splits end up pretty light on bees when the foragers drift back to the original hive. I prefer to find the queen, set her aside and work but occasionally we have to do the split above a queen excluder. as suggested, and let the bees come up.

You need to allow queen acceptance before merging. So if there is a flow going on you may have honey bound issues. Just be aware of it. The hives may push the honey up after the super goes on but you may need to switch out a plugged frame to give space.

I have a silly question. if I take frames from different hive to form a nuc, should I worry about bees fight with each other?

I have a queen just hatched today with about only half frame of the bees. I want to give some more bees to this little split. How should I introduce foreign bees to it without them killing the virgin queen?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

They shouldn't bother each other, just make very sure to not move a queen from the donor. To be careful, liberally sprinkle both parties with powdered sugar or a light spray with light syrup with a few drops of vanilla extract in it. Mixing frames of brood to make a split causes no real problem.

Vance G, thank you very much for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by swarm_trapper View Post
    Michael what is your cut off date for making the four framers? I have been using 200 of them up here as queen mating nucs (love them for that).
    Do you overwinter all of them as double 4's (two storys)now, or do you still overwinter some as true four framers?
    About July 15. I winter all as 4x4 or 4x4x4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast