Found a great crimping tool for wiring frames
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up Found a great crimping tool for wiring frames

Hi everyone, for those of you that wire your frames:

I just finished testing this wire crimping tool that I ordered and recommend it highly. I found it on AliExpress.com for $11.99 delivered from China. Smooth wood handles and metal parts. I found that it did not hurt my hands like the cheap plastic crimpers. Here is the link http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bee-H...668996040.html

It took a couple of weeks for delivery but well worth the wait.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Found a great crimping tool for wiring frames

It looks like a slight improvement over the plastic ones. I had some just like this (metal handles) but without the wood. I did not like them. I had this made:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/WireCrimpers.JPG

And have loved it when I was wiring. I stole the gears off of one of the plastic ones and took a pair of lineman pliers to a welder and had him make it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I do not care if it does the job for me. If it is not Made in the USA I ain't buying it! That is the exact reason this country is in the shape it is. No pride of country and no loyalty. Wake up America!

How do these crimpers work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I do not care if it does the job for me. If it is not Made in the USA I ain't buying it! That is the exact reason this country is in the shape it is. No pride of country and no loyalty. Wake up America!
    Is your bee truck made in the USA?
    The bees are good at fixing my mistakes

They are supposed to tighten up the wire after you
    put them on the frame. But how to use them I have no idea.
    Is there a you tube vid to demonstrate?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

After years of using the roller ones i finally moved to this crimper. Fast and good to use with wire that has little wax left on:
    http://www.ohib.de/contents/media/l_...ner-zange1.jpg

I wonder if a big C clamp will work to tighten up
    the side bars on the frame?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Compressing the side bars just a little before wiring is super easy and works great. Much faster too.
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Compressing the side bars just a little before wiring is super easy and works great. Much faster too.
    I have a pair of stubby wedges I slip in at each end of the frame which compresses the sidebars slightly so I dont have to pull the wire up singing tight before I anchor it. The crimper puts the zig zags in the wire runs which brings the tension up and also provides much better grip on the wax. Actually a bit slacker initial stringing results in a larger crimp pattern and you dont have to squeeze so hard on the handles to make the rollers grip the wire.
    Frank

Crimping does much more than just tighten the wire. It also distributes the stress of the wire. There is not only more surface area to attach it to the wax, but it radiates the stress in different directions.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I don't crimp but I think crimped wire will lose its crimp when heated for embedding?????
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Dont think so Challenger; I doubt the wire gets much over 200 F. The wax only needs a bit over 150F. to swallow the wire. I have even taken some comb off the crimped wire with the heat gun and wiped up the wiring with a rag. Still looks good to go!
    Frank

>I don't crimp but I think crimped wire will lose its crimp when heated for embedding?????

It does not.

I use 15# mono filament fishing line. Run line through top hole, then wrap the line around a pin then slip the into thee hole. Using 15# line keeps the pin snug. Then weave the line back and forth across the frame. Pull line tight and wrap another pin and slide into the whole and your done. If I could find 1/8 or 3/16 staples for my air gun I would use those instead of pins.

Greg
    Hancock County Indiana Zone 5b
    2nd year BK with 6 Colonies, 2 Italian, 2 MN Hygienic, 2 Carniolan

Quote Originally Posted by LanduytG View Post
    I use 15# mono filament fishing line. Run line through top hole, then wrap the line around a pin then slip the into thee hole. Using 15# line keeps the pin snug. Then weave the line back and forth across the frame. Pull line tight and wrap another pin and slide into the whole and your done. If I could find 1/8 or 3/16 staples for my air gun I would use those instead of pins.

Greg
    I gave the monofilament line a try and the bees snipped it. It has been suggested to use at least 30 pound test; I went back to wire.

Perhaps if the bees were drawing comb quickly it would get embedded with no problems. In find in cool weather they sometimes do a lot of messing around chewing wax and retaining pins etc., before they really get going. Dont know for sure why some people say it works wonders and others have posted of problems.
    Frank

I once use the fishing line but the comb all sagged under our hot sun.
    No fun doing a hive inspection on the wobbly comb. Have recently gone back to the
    wire now. One way to tighten up the wires without using the crimping tool is not
    use the bottom bar when installing the wire first. After you put the wire on then install the
    bottom bar last. By doing so the wire is tighten after you straighten them out on the frame before
    putting the bottom bar on. If it sounds like you can play musical note on the wire it is good enough for me.
    Then as usual using a car battery to connect the heat source to embed the wax foundation sheet onto the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Crimping does much more than just tighten the wire. It also distributes the stress of the wire. There is not only more surface area to attach it to the wax, but it radiates the stress in different directions.
    It sounds as if you're suggesting that investing the extra time in crimping the wires gives a better/longer lasting product. Do you have any real data based on practical field work to back this up? I only ask because we've got plenty of long standing frames threaded with good stainless wire which have never seen a wire crimper (and never will) but still have many years of life left in them. In short, they work perfectly well and I simply can't visualise how crimping the wire would improve on what we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolande View Post
    It sounds as if you're suggesting that investing the extra time in crimping the wires gives a better/longer lasting product. Do you have any real data based on practical field work to back this up? I only ask because we've got plenty of long standing frames threaded with good stainless wire which have never seen a wire crimper (and never will) but still have many years of life left in them. In short, they work perfectly well and I simply can't visualise how crimping the wire would improve on what we already have.
    My oh my! I think you better stick with what you are doing; Change, even if it is an improvement, can be upsetting to some people.

It takes about 5 seconds per wire to crimp!
    Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast