New swrm in a top bar

Default New swrm in a top bar

Ok I put a swarm I caught last week in a top bar hive, I gave them one bar of drawn comb (that is all I had), after 5 days or so they have started drawing comb on the bar next to the comb I gave them which is good, my concern is do I have a queen. Never saw her when I vacuumed the bees out of some vines at the base of a tree, quite a mess, around 2lbs of bees. I have noticed they are hauling a little pollen into the hive but not much compared to my other hves. I put a piece of queen excluder across the entrance just in case she is the hive and to make sure she cannot leave. I have suger water on them and they have taken some of it but not as much as I think they should. Very calm group of bees, just trying to do all I can for them. Any other signs to know if a queen is present? Has not been long enough to look for capped brood. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New swrm in a top bar

Well, the easiest thing to do is look for eggs. If you find eggs you are queen-right. If you don't know what eggs look like do a google search and you will find a ton of photos. Better yet, find someone at your local bee club and have them show you. The fact that they have stayed. And are drawing out comb is good - just give them some time and you will know soon enough.
    Jim

did a quick hive check today, drawing comb on 3 of the top bars, the existing comb I gave them has what looks like queen cups which I do not understand because there were no brood or eggs on the existing comb. still no capped brood, did not look for eggs, lots of bees on the existing comb with pollen and nectar.

never understood the idea of locking a queen in. if it is a virgin then you're not letting her out to do a mating flight.

Once they start drawing comb well you can assume that the queen is there. They wont stick around without the queen.

will do another hive check in the morning, going to plan B

update, added 3 queen cups to this top bar hive from a friends hive, time will tell, does not look good.