So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged - Page 5
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

My dads neibor brought me another 150 lbs of sugar today and 50 lbs of flower. That leaves me sitting on 200 lbs come spring. He is also going to bring some lard. I guess I am going to have to make a few pies with the lard and flower. I should have used that last 50 lbs of sugar from last year to add a little winter weight but I was afraid he might not bring me more and wanted to keep a little around. I gave him one quart of honey this fall. He is going to have to wait till next fall for when I hopefully get some more honey to get more.

I doubt this should count but my mom gave me a black and decker 19.2 volt drill set. I got a resip saw, two circular saws, a light, two drills and a four battery charger and two lithiam batteries. It is all well used but all works good. She got tired of dealing with two brands and decided to keep her dewalts. It is funny cause I had just dropped my cheap drill and broke off the part that held the battery and was using it for two days with just the little wires holding the battery dangling. Now I can quit using my plug in drills.

Building has never been better, I just wish the builders skills would improve a bit faster.

I feel like a very lucky scrounge.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

gww, those pies are going to use up the sugar.

Danial
    I am willing to buy the sugar for my pies cause doing my best, I can't eat as much sugar as the bees can.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I got two truck loads and trailer loads of 1x12x16' pine plank subfloor that was laid in the 1920s. It has no cupping, twisting, bowing etc and is thoroughly dry with no checking. I also got quite a bit of pine flooring which is also 1x material and 2 truckloads and trailerloads of 1x oak flooring plus some 2x joists, studs, etc. The usable 1x12 came out to almost 700 board feet after I cleaned the lumber up. The tongue and groove pine flooring is going to be used for cleats and maybe frames or other things depending on the quality of the wood. The oak flooring is honestly pretty terrible on one side with stain and grime.

I think I might plane the stain off of some of the iffy oak and use it to make lye and save any good stuff for other projects. Just the scraps, cutoff and the garbage wood already looks to be enough to heat my shop for the winter and all I've been able to really sort and wash was the subflooring. If I just burned the oak for heat it would probably last 2 winters easy. It's an insane amount of wood.

I asked the business owner if we could take the wood and he gave us the go ahead. He was shocked we emptied a 30 yard dumpster. He called me and said the only things in the dumpster when it got dumped was a bit of drywall and two weeks worth of trash from his house. He said that if he would have known someone wanted the wood he would have just paid for a small dumpster that a trash truck could have picked up lol. Lots of lumber for hives and tops/bottoms now
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

rwurster
    Great find, I'm jelous.
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    I got two truck loads and trailer loads of 1x12x16' pine plank subfloor that was laid in the 1920s. It has no cupping, twisting, bowing etc and is thoroughly dry with no checking. I also got quite a bit of pine flooring which is also 1x material and 2 truckloads and trailerloads of 1x oak flooring plus some 2x joists, studs, etc. The usable 1x12 came out to almost 700 board feet after I cleaned the lumber up.
    With no pics, it didnít happen!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

That was a bonus scrounge! 700 board feet is over 100 deep 10 frame hive bodies.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Embarrassed Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

Got a Bunn TDO-4 iced tea dispenser that I am going to use as a bottling tank for squeeze bears. Not a true scrounge because I paid a dollar for it at a restaurant equipment auction. Missing the valve, and that will run about $17.00 Holds 4 gallons.

20171214_203918.jpg
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

jw
    Is the dispencer stainless? I have a resturaunt that I have set empty for going on ten years now and thought also about using two of them but thought they may be aluminum and might not hold up to the acid in honey?

Either way, my view, a scrounge means a good deal and does not have to be compleetly free. I thought the table that I bought for 10 bucks but still made 6 or so hive tops when cut up was still a scrounge. Good to keep your eyes open.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

The Bunn unit I got is definitely stainless. Used oven cleaner on it to remove accumulated gunk. Can't do that to aluminum without damage. I kinda thought a scrounge was any really good deal also but 100% sure. Always on the prowl for a good deal. The wife doesn't like me spending money on the bees. Strangely though, she doesn't have a problem giving the honey to her side of the family.

My wife doesn't like me spending money on bees either. She thinks I am wasting my time and has a much better honey doo list then bees which I do my best to ignore. I would be the one to give all the honey away if I was given the chance but my wife does see some value in it once it is bottled and kind of takes control of it to where I don't give every drop away. Thats ok, I hope she finds a way to sell it with out my help, cause selling is not my strong point. I don't mind if she gets extra money from it, I am doing things that interest me and it is nice if somebody can make it worth it. Only pride wants me to make a little no matter who spends it.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Got a Bunn TDO-4 iced tea dispenser that I am going to use as a bottling tank for squeeze bears. Not a true scrounge because I paid a dollar for it at a restaurant equipment auction. Missing the valve, and that will run about $17.00 Holds 4 gallons.

20171214_203918.jpg
    That's an awesome find. I know a couple of restaurant owners that may have accumulated stuff out in the back and it's time to pay them a visit!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Not today but I scored a really nice electric soup warmer for $5 at a restaurant auction. Came with the stainless insert pot, too. Makes a fine wax melter.

Not today but I scored a really nice electric soup warmer for $5 at a restaurant auction. Came with the stainless insert pot, too. Makes a fine wax melter.

Brushw...........
    You guys have me thinking I am going to have to take another look through all my resturant equiptment with an eye of how I can use it with bees. I have all kinds of stuff that I am stupid for not just having an auction or selling myself. I have a couple of the tea dispencers but am pretty sure mine are the cheaper alum ones. You have me thinking though as I have two warmers with drawers that have stainless pans in them that I use for bolt and small parts (junk)containers. Now I am wondering if they get warm enough for a wax melter. I have steam tables, cold tables, deep fat fryers, rice cookers and lots and lots of stuff. Most is natural gas and I only have propane at home but maby some of the electic stuff would work.
    I hope people keep posting stuff cause even just the ideals they come up with to repurpose stuff is very interesting. I am an ideal thief.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Good stainless is a beautiful thing. Just 2 days ago, I realized my main pot scrubbing sink (2 bay restaurant grade) in the greenhouse would make an excellent uncapping tank. The left side is a little bigger. I can set a bucket with an uncapping rest on it down in there and not make a mess. The right side is just exactly perfect to rest frames waiting to go into the spinner (very lucky coincidence). I already have a 3 bay waiting to go in its place (fits my main pot size better) and was trying to figure out what to do with this one. I'll remove the faucet and rebuild the drain assembly to simply drain into buckets! I just splurged on a motorized extractor. These two in line will be a game changer for me.
    By the way, there are a lot of inexpensive extractors on the market that are billed as 4 frame tangential but work fine as 8 frame radial for mediums. Not really a "scrounge" but a real bargain for those looking wistfully at $1000 extractors.

Picked up 15 - 5 gallon buckets of exterior paint for free. Shared the wealth with a fellow beekeeper.

I had an old pop-up camp trailer that broke down beyond repair. I disassembled it to convert a flat utility trailer. I was able to salvage the heater so I can use it to heat my shed. I salvaged the stove, and plan to use it to build into my patio remodel for the outdoor kitchen. I also got 2 sheets of 1/2in marine grade plywood I will use to build nucs or other woodware.

Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I've been looking for a stainlees steel sink and table but they are selling outside of my current budget. When I get to 15 to 20 hives I wll revist that idea.

Gww, natural gas fryers, depending on brand and model, can be converted from NG to LPG for around $100 in parts. It is what I do as part of my moonlighting career. Can't see how a fryer could be used in beekeeping but it would be great for cooking up a mess of chicken. Soup turins on the other hand could be great for melting wax as bushwood already said.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast