So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    My wife gets attached to them and can't stand the thought of butchuring things she has fed. I used to butchure them but things have since changed. It is still ok to buy the chicken that is always on sale but not to eat our pets, Ha ha. I have over 30 chikens now and should have been culling them for some time if I had any sense.
    gww
    I have the same issue at home - the old (former)layers should be culled because they ain't laying anymore. But, the wife says "no", she likes them as pets. Problem is, we got 20 chickens to feed, water, and clean up after, and only about half produce eggs.

I am wondering if she wouldn't notice one or two go missing every once in a while . . .
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

scrounged a piece of RBB plywood siding. I cut 2 bottom boards from it.
    I put bees down in a place where someone had dumped a small barn or something. I scrounged quite a bit of bald cypress wood, and pine and made some supers. Also found a larger piece of Honduras mahogany about $50 worth.

today I found a trampoline safety net. I will make a bee hive cargo net out of it. ( or a mayhaw catching net)

I was given a 4" Delta Homecraft jointer and a Delta Homecraft jigsaw. Checking the vintagemachinery.org webpage and the serial numbers, it appears they were manufactured back in 1951. Well cared for and maintained. I'm not quite sure I needed the jigsaw, but having one beats not having one, and I've been hankering for a jointer on CraigsList but couldn't find one I wanted to spend $50 on. I am happy.

I forgot about this thread last fall when I was given 1,300 brand new political signs. The candidate was running unopposed, but his political committee didn't want to seem like they were counting their chickens too much, so they ordered the signs anyway. Deployed a few dozen, and left the rest in cartons.

The candidate won, and it's a long-term judicial position so he'll never need them again.

Lucky me!

Enj.

A woodmaster 8 inch thickness planer for $10 bucks and a electric hand sander for $5.
    003.jpg

Works great on pine. I have not tried it on oak but have no doubt it is in perfect working order. I had to make a handle and that was it.

I also got a folding table with a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch osb board on it. I will cut it up and use it for telescoping tops and save the folding legs for a small shop table/bench if I ever decide I need more table space though I doubt I ever will. Ten bucks for the table also. My wife bought a bbq set just for the lighter in it for $2.

Very excited about the planer. I bought one before for $150 and the motor burnt out on the first board and so this is a big help. I took the blades off of the one I broke and put them on my uncles foley-belsaw but I have to drive to use it. Now I can keep the mess at home.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Great score on the planer!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Didn't score a planer but I got a small stack of ruff sawn wood wide enough for deeps, could use another planer

Jw
    Yea, thats what I thought. Thanks. Dan... That is good. I cut my own boards and it takes a pretty big log to make boards that wide. It is one of the reasons I went all mediums. My logs were not consistantly bigg enough.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Found a medium ten frame super hiding in a board I scrounged from a shipping crate. Didn't know it was there until this evening.

20171101_205934.jpg
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Jw
    Are most shipping crates 3/4 inch boards and do you pull nails or just cut out what you can between nails holding the shipping crate together? I was so excited that I went back out to the garage but didn't really have but two short bowed boards that I flatened a bit. I had however cut out three medium boxes and so while there put one of them together.

I have to make frames next. It is unbelievable how many boards even just building frames takes. It all takes lots of wood.Yours looks good to me. I put all mine together with just lots and lots of 1 and 3/8 inch brads and no glue. I use a dado groove for handles on four sides. I believe those handles could be an eventual weak spot cause I use no angle for water to run off. But they are so easy to make that way.
    Cheers
    gww

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    The future son-in-law made a headboard from pallet boards. Looks good.
    Ya might just be a red neck if you post the above!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

snl
    Ya might just be a red neck if you post the above!
    Does this get me red neck status? I made it for my daughter.

0101171602-00.jpg
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    snl

Does this get me red neck status? I made it for my daughter.

0101171602-00.jpg
    Cheers
    gww
    Nah, that gets you furniture maker status! You did good!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

snl
    Nah, that gets you furniture maker status! You did good!
    Thats why I took such a crappy picture so nobody could see the truth but thank you. My daughter actually does like it. I actually hate with a passion doing things that I have to try to be neat on. Every one has differrent tallants. She has sent me several more plans of things she would like but I am ignoring them.

I have made a couple cedar chest. I have to say that there are artist out there that do know what they are doing and I am in awe of them.
    Thank you
    gww
    zone 5b

Most of the pallets and shipping crates I scrounge are made of 1 x 4s. So yes, 3/4" thick material. I pull the staples and nails. Time consuming but relaxing. I am going to try using my biscuit joiner to make wider boards for some hive bodies. Harder to find used 1 x 8 and 1 x 12 material. Hopefully my planer will make whatever I glue up look like a real board.

jw
    On the cedar chest I made, I used my table saw to toung and groove. I have seen windmill blades and cutting boards made with just clamps and glue. Since I have run out of plywood, I have just been making my bottom boards by putting three boards side by side to make the floor. If they shrink to much it might cause me problims later but I did dry the boards for several months first and am hopeing they cause no problims.

Till I got the osb board, I was getting ready to do the same for my teliscoping tops and then just put 2 inch blue foam on top in the hopes of it covering the crack. As you can see, I have a hard time buying plywood and stuff that I know would work better if I have stuff I think will just work. Who knows what type of problims I am creating for myself.

If you look at one of my junky cedar chest, I had pretty bad break out of the toung and groove on the ends grains but the face boards fit pretty good. If I were working with out glue, I would probly do this type of joint to make wider boards. But I also am not a wood worker and have never did a biscit joint.

cedarchest.jpg
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps Thanks for answering my questions
    zone 5b

I am reminded that I was able to scrap out about 100 ft of 1 x 6 from a 12 ft crate. It should work for numerous parts, bottom boards, tops, etc. Of course, I had to order over $2,000 of brass tubing to get the crate, even pay for crating fee. I'm not sure this would count as bragging rights scrounging.

Danial
    Too me it is a heck of a lot better then putting the wood in a burn pile. I say it qualifies quite hardily.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I feel better now gww. Thanks.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast