So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

My wife got mad at me for a week over our dog catching a baby rabbit and me not responding to stop her fast enough. My mistake was that I told my wife I was proud of the dog. I get yelled at because of that dang dog more then for my own actions.
    She gripes at me cause the chickens are hot.
    I hope we don't find anymore small animals, I might not survive it.
    Cheers
    gww

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Could be worse. A friend rescued two fawns a couple of years back. Their mother and a sibling had just been hit by a vehicle a couple of minutes earlier, and were clearly dead or dying, so it was obvious they were orphans, and it was clear from the condition that they were just minutes old.

His problem was, his daughters were with him, and you can imagine the pressure. So he adopted them even though it is illegal to do so.

Newborns this age require colostrum in the milk. He begged some from a deer farm (seriously, these exist.) Evidently it was pretty expensive.

Newborn fawns, like the rescued squirrel, need their mother to lick their privates to make them eliminate. Jay drew the line at licking, but a warm, wet sponge or rag works too. For the squirrel, I used a tissue wet with warm water.

Tons of trouble, but the rascals (both males) thrived. Due to their generous high quality diet, both developed antlers that fall, with one of them a 4-pointer. You NEVER see that in nature. When I visited, the 4-pointer came up to nuzzle me and lick my hands. Ever been approached by a 4-point buck? Pretty rare, I'd think.

Both were gotten by hunters that season.

I got sections of foam panels yesterday. High end stuff sandwiched by thin sheet metal, r 30. Just the right width for insulating the tops of my hives this winter. About 30 feet of the stuff.

My brother inlaw is building a house and made a mistake on the floor and had to rip up about 10 sheets of the 2 inch blue foam insulation. I picked through it and got enough that was big enough to probly do the top of ten hives with out haveing to use more then one peice. They are about $30 a sheet and alot was too small but I got enough to hold me for awhile.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

My dad has a new neighbor that ownes a buissness that delivers to bakeries. He gave my mom 400 lbs of sugar (350 lbs which I got) that he said was too clumped to be able to sale to his customers. He had mentioned that he had given eleven hundred pounds to his mom for feeding humming birds and mom said she would take some if he just had to throw it away. So now I have 350 lbs for spring splits if my bees live. Merry christmas to me. My uncle has a whole bunch of micro fibra screens that I hope to get some to strain honey with and a bunch of cheap bee suits or nurse suits that I am not sure yet what it really is. I don't have these last two things in hand yet but will probly soon. The nets for straining are not big enough to fit over a 5 gallon bucket and so I have to figure out how to use them or cut them and put two together. They look about like a gallon size hole and maby 3 feet long. Tons of them though and brand new and still in the box.
    Cheers
    gww
    Cheers.
    zone 5b

I cut up my kitchen table and made a pallet. Does that count.

Tearing out and replacing a set of basement stairs. The stringers holding the bottom two treads split and now the band-aid fix is going fast. Should make lots of frames once I pull all the nails.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Quote Originally Posted by Tom06- View Post
    I cut up my kitchen table and made a pallet. Does that count.
    Only if you really needed the pallet.

I'm not even going to read this thread. Don't need any more encouragement to go dumpster diving.

(Commercial construction job sites are the best though)
    When they demo malls and stores, they usually tear out great stuff and put almost the exact same new stuff right back in. Contact demo companies to see if they are willing to let you salvage wood products. Offer them some honey. Offer to pay a reasonable amount for the really good stuff like stainless sinks, etc.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Drove past the woodpile up the farm an noticed my mother had a pile of 4 x 1.5 pine that was destined to be kindling next winter. It was slats out of an old double bed, ripped them to .5 x 1.5, 7/8 x 1.5 & .5 x 4. Asked my father about a pile of 3/8 ply that looked like offcuts I spotted a few weeks ago, the were offcuts and said take them if I want. Ripped it all down, enough for 8 x 5 frame nuc boxes, 2 x base boards and 2 x lids. Used the .5 x 1.5 as a edge strip on the ply top and bottom to give me a standard width edge, 7/8 x 1.5 on the bases. Had to rip a 1/8 step in the .5 x 4 to give me the correct size frame rest when matched up to the ply.
    They have been doing a few renovations and managed to scrounge some 2x4 that was ripped to 7/8 x 2 and used on the lids.
    A little concerned about how they would go in winter being so thin, found a pile of old foam vegetable boxes Nuc boxes fit perfectly inside them so wintering solved as I have a unending supply.

I work for a commercial cabinet company. The amount of material that gets thrown out is crazy.

We had an engineer screwup a project and there was about a unit and a half of moisture resistant 3/4 plywood that was going to get thrown out. The parts are 22 x 50. I snagged it. I plan on making a ton of nuc boxes and other woodenware for this next season.

I've been using this ply for supers, swarm traps, and brood boxes for a few years and it holds up very well.

I am able to get various other thickness plywood, homosote, and hardwood destined for the landfill. I mainly only have to buy frames and paint.

Have been snagging wood pallets. Even the daughters are using the wood for their pinterest projects. The future son-in-law made a headboard from pallet boards. Looks good.

Also got a 4x6 solar heat panel made from downspouts from someone at work. Needs work done on it. That'll be fun to use for house, the temp. greenhouse (cheap rip woven one) and maybe camping!! Well, actually for camping I may have to make a solar water heater for showers.

Picked a kitchen table and chairs off the curb for son. In the past, we picked up three glass patio tables that just needed a little work and/or spray paint.
    Is it summer yet?

Was taking out a queen mattress and the box under it. Just a spacer used instead of box springs.
    Pulled the material off the bottom and it was made of 1 x 4's and 1 x 2's. Knocked it apart, pulled staples in the middle of the boards then cut off the ends with staples. Got a nice stack of lumber for an hours work and do not have to pay the trash fee.

Got an old heavy craftsman table saw today for $25. Cast iron top and large. No riving knife or gaurds.

Now to figure the best thing to use it on with out changing settings all the time. I now have three table saws and need to figure out how to use them in an assembly line fassion.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I scrounged a food-safe barrel formerly used for deer food.

One part is filled with water for the bees, the top part I sawed off and use as a worm breeder for the chicken I will get in two weeks.
    I read you could give the fruits, vegetables and such what the chickens donīt digest to the worms and feed the worms to the chicken.
    Itīs for kitchen waste too which does not go into my compost heap.
    I want my chicken to have fresh worms in winter so I will insulate the worm breeder.

S 1.jpg

S 2.jpg

set one ts up for ripping, one with a crosscut sled and one for dado. I am a long time woodworker and make all my own bee hives.

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    I read you could give the fruits, vegetables and such what the chickens donīt digest to the worms and feed the worms to the chicken.
    I gave up on worms. There's nothing that my chickens won't turn into eggs that I've found yet. Most of the time the chickens are kept in my backyard orchard and help keep the bugs down too.

bobn.....
    I have made everything so far also but have did it in a more one off type manner on one table saw rather then trying to mass produce. In two winters I made around 13/15 hives and traps but my bees are starting to out pace me.

I put the dado no the craftsman for now but still have to change dado width all the time and the craftsman doesn't have a blade stop to help with changing blades. I need about twice the garage/shed space the way I am going.

I always like these scrounging type threads cause it is neat to see what people can do with stuff. I hope more people post thier finds.
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps, I agree with the chickens do well with out worms ideal. Now for fishing, that would be a differrent subject. I had a hen sit and the eggs not hatch and rather then put more under her and tieing her down another 21 days, I have 15 chicks coming tomorrow that I will slip under her. Why 15? It was $3 cheaper to by 15 then to buy 3 Ha ha.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    It was $3 cheaper to by 15 then to buy 3 Ha ha.
    Well make space in your fridge, maybe they are all cocks...

SiW....
    Nope, all hens unless they make a mistake. I gave my last four roosters away cause I got too lazy to clean them and I have one other problim also. My wife gets attached to them and can't stand the thought of butchuring things she has fed. I used to butchure them but things have since changed. It is still ok to buy the chicken that is always on sale but not to eat our pets, Ha ha. I have over 30 chikens now and should have been culling them for some time if I had any sense.
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast