So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

Jeez you guys, I thought I was bad about draging stuff home lol! I got a commercial double sink my work was throwing out. A little bit of this a little bit of that and ta da new uncapping station . Rather have that little mower though lol!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I was cutting up some plant shipping pallets from Superstore (Canada) to make some nucs and feed boxes. I had 1 by 10 cedar that I was working with. If I was into deeps I would have made a few. Instead they will be ripped down to make medium nuc boxes. The remainder will go into feed boxes. I split a few ripping them apart, but a few clamps and titebond 3 makes them good as new.

Anyways the policy is that I have to deal with what I bring home before I bring home some more.

I scored a bunch of free brick today that I'll use to wrap my hive dipping tank.
    I also finally scored a good deal on wax. I got 250 pounds of candles off c'list for $50.00
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

After about a 15 year absence from beekeeping I decided to get back into it this spring with the purchase of two packages. Mostly had to start out with purchasing new woodenware and equipment. Happened to be looking into the dumpster at our local airport and found a Dadant Junior Bench extractor that someone threw away. Not a dent in the thing, just a worn shaft that I'm guessing someone removed the hand crank and used a drill to operate. Took home, cleaned it up, replaced shaft and works good as new. Nice unit if you just want to run a few frames or a couple of boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I built a sawmill out of a weight set a garden tiller with the tranny bad and some lawn tractor/trailer wheel hubs. I built a chicken plucker out of an old stainless washing michine tub and a 1 horsepower dc motor. Some hives built out of barn wood and any other wood I could come up with for free (before I built the saw mill). It is just that none of this happened in the last week so unless I want to take the thread off topic, I can't brag about it. I can't tell you that my neibor gave me some 8 foot chainlink fence and some gates that I put around my garden. It happened a year ago or that my brother inlaw gave me a 14' john boat on a trailer with a trolling moter, That was ten years ago. Man I am really feeling left out.
    Cheers
    gww
    I would love to see some pics of that sawmill. Sounds like a neat project.
    Andy

Bronco
    This is mine, hope you have a good laugh.
    http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c,82695.0.html

Plenty of builds on that site better then mine by lots smarter people but I am still proud and using it.
    Cheers
    gww

GWW - My god man - I just thought I was bada$$ at engineering stuff like the box beast. I'll have to give it to ya on that band saw. If/when ya get it going - it will all be worth it. Keep up the good work.
    SAK

Sak
    It is going such as it is and we have built some things. I only built it cause I ran out of scrounged wood when I started to build bee stuff. Now a club house and couple of sheds and out house later and I still have wood for bee stuff.

I looked at your box beast thread but am going to have to take a second look. I built a chicken plucker and thought maby an extractor would be next but maby I need to study yours a little closer first. I am not smart enough to engineer any thing. I am a copy cat.
    Cheers
    gww

Last year there was a new house being built in my neighborhood that I sometimes go by walking my dog. I had my eye on the left over cinder blocks laying out front, and on one of my walks the site supervisor was there so I asked about the blocks. I use them for hive stands. He said I could have them and it would save his workers from having to clean them up. I told him I'd be back later with my car. He gave me his card in case I had any trouble...good thinking! I went back early evening and I had to make 2 trips because my work car is a 2 door compact. On the second trip, a lady stopped and asked what was I doing. I explained I had permission, showed her the builder's card and number. She drove away. Within a few minutes a county police car showed up. I explained it all to him, and we called the super. While cop on the phone, the owner shows up and we tell him the same thing and I ask him if its ok with him (after having 25 blocks loaded). He says ok, I tell him I will bring a jar of honey at next harvest. I brought a quart after they moved in. Free? Well, sort of.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Bronco
    This is mine, hope you have a good laugh.
    http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c,82695.0.html

Plenty of builds on that site better then mine by lots smarter people but I am still proud and using it.
    Cheers
    gww
    Well I lost almost a day due to being sucked into your thread on the forestry forum and now I must build a saw mill. Thanks a lot! I am jealous.
    Andy

Bronco
    Just remember, there are lots smarter poeple on that forum then me when it comes to building a mill. I understand the losing of time looking at things that interest you. I still have not seen a bought mill cutting wood except on you tube which I watched a lot looking for ideals before I built mine.
    Good luck
    gww

Don't know if this qualifies as scrounging. I think it is exactly the opposite. I used to scrounge all the time, but in recent years I've been known to leave stuff out for the scrounges to find, as a way to clear the garage.

Sunday-Monday night it rained. Monday morning, as my wife was off to a meeting, she called me outside. A baby squirrel was on the patio beside the house. No sign of the mother, and it was raining, so she had me rescue it. This is the same woman who chases squirrels off with a super-soaker.

So there I am, 4-week old baby squirrel in one hand, typing with the other, finding out what this is going to cost us. The special formula is a puppy formula, $25 per container, and you start out rehydrating the critter with Pedialyte. We're out about $35 for starters. Warmed him up, hydrated him, washed his privates to make him pee, fed him, put him out. Been doing this three days and no mama squirrel has showed up looking for him. If we were to take this little guy to the 12-week minimum release date, probably could spend $200 on the rodent, and still have to feed him all winter. The wildlife rescue people don't seem exactly eager to take him but that's clearly what needs to happen.

Worst ... scrounge ... ever.

But cute.

Phoebee, I love your scrounge! Thats just cool.
    I got my little dog that way, just showed up on the porch, no mom, just a pup in the middle of nowhere. Nobody around here knew anything, or didn't admit it.

After asking,"where'd you come from?" And getting no reply, I went off to get dog food....2 &1/2 years ago.
    👍🐶

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Don't know if this qualifies as scrounging. I think it is exactly the opposite. I used to scrounge all the time, but in recent years I've been known to leave stuff out for the scrounges to find, as a way to clear the garage.

Sunday-Monday night it rained. Monday morning, as my wife was off to a meeting, she called me outside. A baby squirrel was on the patio beside the house. No sign of the mother, and it was raining, so she had me rescue it. This is the same woman who chases squirrels off with a super-soaker.

So there I am, 4-week old baby squirrel in one hand, typing with the other, finding out what this is going to cost us. The special formula is a puppy formula, $25 per container, and you start out rehydrating the critter with Pedialyte. We're out about $35 for starters. Warmed him up, hydrated him, washed his privates to make him pee, fed him, put him out. Been doing this three days and no mama squirrel has showed up looking for him. If we were to take this little guy to the 12-week minimum release date, probably could spend $200 on the rodent, and still have to feed him all winter. The wildlife rescue people don't seem exactly eager to take him but that's clearly what needs to happen.

But cute.
    Once on solid food, feed it cheap dog food it's mostly corn and grain anyways, they are rodents and can live off most anything

Sure, but between 4 weeks and 12 weeks, standard procedure is to put them in a fairly large outdoor cage we don't have, and that's the main extra expense. That, and paying our pet sitter to feed it when we're out of town. And then after release (by law, where the animal was found) the little devil would hang around and mooch. That's because I found it with eyes closed but its right eye is now open and it undoubtedly thinks I'm his mama. And my wife won't know if she should feed it or hit it with the super soaker.

For feeding, we've got deer corn and sunflower seeds on hand all the time, and could bring acorns from the WV cabin.

In this area, you are supposedly not allowed to raise rescue wildlife without a license. I'd be happy to turn this critter over to one of the Wildlife Rescue League experts, but I can't get thru to them. I've called, gotten a call back with a local number, the local number does not answer and their mailbox is full, and they've got me running in circles. They say I'm not supposed to attempt feeding it, but it would be dead by now if I had not, and I am feeding it the right stuff. Hopefully they will work this out.

Phoebee
    All I can say is that freindly small wild mamals are frindly when young but seem to become more timid and crazy as they get older. I don't have lot of experiance. My grandma had flying squirls that ended up living in the attic and a couple of other relitives had coons till they run off. My wife just raised a robin that fell out of the nest. It finaly flew off never to be seen.
    Cheers
    gww

It's usually never legal to raise orphaned wild animals without a license, but it's one of those things that unless you were robbing nests to raise and sell exotic animals, you'll never be charged. Pet squirrels are fun and crazy not eat your face off crazy, but what will they get into next crazy lol coons are a ton of fun too, had one that came down in a storm and the impact of the hollow tree killed the momma and the other babies this one was the only survivor she grew up to be about a 25 lb lap dog that would come down out of her tree when called

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post

But cute.
    That's one expensive super soaker target

The Rescue League finally put us in touch with a vet clinic that volunteers as an intake facility for them. They seemed surprisingly happy to get this one. The vet was impressed with the care we had given, and his condition. They apparently usually get pinky babies or injured squirrels (lots of them), and a fully furred, healthy baby with eyes just opened will be a treat for the young ladies to take care of.

We miss him already. Harley, I have known people who kept squirrels or raccoons as pets. Skunks, too. I know how much fun squirrels can be. I also know they're terrible house pets. Up at our cabin, we've got a serious problem with them chewing the logs and beams. You'd have to be nuts to keep one for a pet.

Sez the guy who keeps a quarter of a million stinging insects as pets.

The vet thinks, if the rehabber follows the normal rules, that this squirrel will be released at our address. That would be consistent with existing wildlife relocation restrictions around here. So in November the little mooch may be back and knocking on the door.

Last year my college age daughter brought home a baby squirrel (hairless) from a tree cutting crew. There were I think five dispersed out. Guess who had the only one that was taken care of good enough and made it... you got it. I was not happy when she brought (Stella) home. She was raise in a shoe box with a light for warmth far a while. Getting up at night to do night feeding like a baby. She was not expensive from the food angle. Love grapes and broccoli. Would hide pecans in the sofa etc if she could...

She opened her eyes first to see my wife and imprinted on my wife. Peeed my daughter off. Stella graduated to an inside ferret cage and we would let her roam often. She did not chew too bad but the nesting instinct came out and she would grab a newspaper piece or napkin out of your hand (while you reading or using it) and behind the entertainment center she went. I never knew a squirrel would purr like a cat or sputter and puff at you on your shoulder. He claws were sharp as razors and legs were easy to climb. Handled her with cloth gloves at times.

She finally got a little to much to handle inside and we found a place to take her. Would I want another one... notta... but it was fun and a learning experience.
    sc-bee

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast