So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 251
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hampstead, NC USA
    Posts
    1,208

    Default So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Oh yeah, great scrounge day for me.I stopped by some dumpsters at a few houses being built. I was actually only "in the market" for some of those pull caps that go in the lids of 5 gallon paint pails. I made several hivers with 2" holes for feeders and these plug the hole when the feeder isn't on the hives. I found two full sheets of 6mm coroplast, many 3-4' drops of brandy new 1X6 clear pressure treated two 12' lengths of primed 1X4 and I don't know how many feet of 1X1. The last was ripped from some other stock but I always find a use for 1X1.
    Not bee related but I also found 15 half, well maybe 3/4 smoked cigarettes, I half bottle of orange juice, another half bottle of ice tea that wasn't iced any more. Actually it was kinda warm now that I think about it. I better check to make sure it's ice tea and not....ah forget it, this I'm throwing away. Lastly was one almost complete McDonald's McBisquit, McMega, breakfast burger. Someone must have tripped and accidentally flung it into the dumpster. No pickle. I can't understand why people spend all this money on gourmet food and intentionally leave out the pickle. Doesn't matter though. I always carry pickles with me so I was good to go.
    What did you scrounge today?
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    An ice cream maker, 2 string trimmers, a router and router table, and some flower pots that were all bound for the dumpster.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Rosebud Missouri
    Posts
    4,015

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    I could have participated in this thread topic had you not put "today" on the title.

    My scrounging is limmited when it is over 90 degrees cause I can't get off the couch.

    Oh well maby next time.
    Cheers
    gww

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,699

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Not today, but this week...

    I went to HD to look for a little cull 1" X whatever. Loaded up about 25 4'-6' pieces and proceeded to the Pro desk for a deal. The guy said "70% off, as marked". I noted than many of the pieces were not even 1/2 of a board. He called the manager who said "Head out the front - no one will ask" (free...) . I offered $5- $10 (it was an easy $25+) and he repeated "head out the door"...

    Free is good.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockford, MI
    Posts
    4,323

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    I picked this mower up 2 days ago for free as it wasn't running at the time. I replaced the battery ($36.00) and cleaned up the safety switches' contacts under the seat. It fired right up. I changed the oil ($12.00) and sold it for $500.00
    Free IS good.

    13254157_1086932511348980_9201066680913128313_n.jpg

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hampstead, NC USA
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    OK, maybe I need to change the title of the thread to:
    What beekeeping bound items did you scrounge this WEEK?
    Can titles be changed? I didn't think so. Too bad.
    Great score on the HD scrounge.
    No comments on the lawn mower. I'm to jealous to compose a decent reply.
    And to think I was bragging about some lousy 1X1 drops.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,699

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    I went back down to Home Despot, after a sheet of Luan to make more divided inner covers for the nucs. I asked to have the 4'x8' sheet ripped to 16" x 8' pieces, for easier transport & further cut down.

    The first sheet came out as two 17"s & a 14". The guy said - "Oh yeah, the tape is off..." We grabbed another sheet, measured to the blade with a tape, & tried again. This time it was 2 -16.5"s, and a 15". I told him I could still use it all, & would be cutting it down anyway.

    He insisted on giving me the "70% off" cull price for both sheets. $7 for 2 sheets of Luan - enough for 48 half width inner covers. Coupled with the earlier free 1X score, I'll have less than 15 cents each into the finished covers (not including glue & nails).

    'Not exactly "scrounged", but I'm happy...
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Clinton, Iowa
    Posts
    6,034

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Colobee, I'd have asked him to cut me another two sheets.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Robeson County, North Carolina
    Posts
    737

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Bwahahaha! Good stuff. Scrounging sounds so...uncouth and dated. Recycling, re-purposing, and reusing are the current buzzwords.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,699

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Colobee, I'd have asked him to cut me another two sheets.
    Yea, but I already have more than I need...

    'Hard to believe - the guy that just fixed the saw also "reset" the tape... it was only off by ~1/8" originally.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New London WI, USA
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    A pioneer car radio w/CD, 4 scissor jacks, two 6x9 speakers. ==FREE
    Oops wrong forum lol

    This is for a teardrop camper build.

    Thanks
    Steve

  13. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Vernon, AZ. USA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    I'm building an entire shed from free pallets. The "today" part; I cut all the slats off of 5 pallets, to get the 48" 24's. I cut thru the nails, with a sawzall, and that keeps the wood whole. It breaks if you pry. Slats are good Langstroth frame lumber, for all the parts that need to be milled because no lumber is sold in the proper dimensions for frames.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hampstead, NC USA
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    You make your own frames?
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Vernon, AZ. USA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Frames go well, if you have the tools. (And more time than money). If I do, it's all recycled wood. If all the shaping of 1 part is set up, it can be fairly efficient to do a few 100 pcs at a time.
    All the Warre hive topbars are easily milled out. As is starter strips, handles, inner cover pieces, ect.
    But, I'm retired, and it's a hobby, not a big business.☺

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hampstead, NC USA
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by jadebees View Post
    Frames go well, if you have the tools. (And more time than money). If I do, it's all recycled wood. If all the shaping of 1 part is set up, it can be fairly efficient to do a few 100 pcs at a time.
    All the Warre hive topbars are easily milled out. As is starter strips, handles, inner cover pieces, ect.
    But, I'm retired, and it's a hobby, not a big business.☺
    I'd say well done then!
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Oh yeah, great scrounge day for me.I stopped by some dumpsters at a few houses being built. I was actually only "in the market" for some of those pull caps that go in the lids of 5 gallon paint pails. I made several hivers with 2" holes for feeders and these plug the hole when the feeder isn't on the hives. I found two full sheets of 6mm coroplast, many 3-4' drops of brandy new 1X6 clear pressure treated two 12' lengths of primed 1X4 and I don't know how many feet of 1X1. The last was ripped from some other stock but I always find a use for 1X1.
    Not bee related but I also found 15 half, well maybe 3/4 smoked cigarettes, I half bottle of orange juice, another half bottle of ice tea that wasn't iced any more. Actually it was kinda warm now that I think about it. I better check to make sure it's ice tea and not....ah forget it, this I'm throwing away. Lastly was one almost complete McDonald's McBisquit, McMega, breakfast burger. Someone must have tripped and accidentally flung it into the dumpster. No pickle. I can't understand why people spend all this money on gourmet food and intentionally leave out the pickle. Doesn't matter though. I always carry pickles with me so I was good to go.
    What did you scrounge today?
    Ive always called this dumpster diving but i like scrounging better! I have lots of things I still use from 15 years ago or more! btw, what year challenger? We have a 72 cuda. Although the bees are getting the money right now instead of the cuda.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    1,102

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by jadebees View Post
    All the Warre hive topbars are easily milled out.
    Wrong forum to ask this, but right thread. I been intrigued by Warres for a long time, and I finally started building one. I've got the boxes done. Any tips that you would care to share for milling the topbars? I was thinking of roughing them out on the table saw, then milling a V guide at the router table.
    Zone 5B

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM, U.S.
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    How about four sets of ten, metal, milk containers (not the little 4x plastic ones but the 6x); someone had 'bubblegum welded' together to make some 'collage shelving'.

    Put a grinder with a cutting blade to it and came up with some steel hive stands.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Rosebud Missouri
    Posts
    4,015

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    I built a sawmill out of a weight set a garden tiller with the tranny bad and some lawn tractor/trailer wheel hubs. I built a chicken plucker out of an old stainless washing michine tub and a 1 horsepower dc motor. Some hives built out of barn wood and any other wood I could come up with for free (before I built the saw mill). It is just that none of this happened in the last week so unless I want to take the thread off topic, I can't brag about it. I can't tell you that my neibor gave me some 8 foot chainlink fence and some gates that I put around my garden. It happened a year ago or that my brother inlaw gave me a 14' john boat on a trailer with a trolling moter, That was ten years ago. Man I am really feeling left out.
    Cheers
    gww

  21. #20
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Vernon, AZ. USA
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    Wrong forum to ask this, but right thread. I been intrigued by Warres for a long time, and I finally started building one. I've got the boxes done. Any tips that you would care to share for milling the topbars? I was thinking of roughing them out on the table saw, then milling a V guide at the router table.

    I do a flat warre topbar, 1" 3/8" 12 & 5/16" long. I glue a starter strip down the center , 8" long, 1/8" thick, cut from ordinary 1" lumber, approx 3/4". I dip 1 edge in beeswax, lumpy unrefined wax. This usually is good enough to prevent cross combs.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •