So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Any advice on what kind and where to buy proper gaskets? Dadant does not have them.
    Around here, places that specialize in making hydraulic hoses (e. g., Cardinal Rubber) also cut custom gaskets. I would have thought Buna-n or neoprene would have held up well in that application, but you could also try EPDM or Viton. If the fitting is flat and the tank is round, you will want a lower durometer, like 40 to 50, so that it will seal well. Just bring in the old gaskets, or the fittings if the old gaskets are destroyed, and they will make you new ones.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I often refer to Parker O-ring handbook for suitable materials - https://www.parker.com/literature/Pr...PTD5705-EN.pdf Go to section 6.7.4 for approved FDA materials for use with consumer foods. The agency is pretty particular about what to use as food safe gasket and o-ring material. I am surprised Dadant cannot provide food safe information related to gaskets.

This is a late '80s tank, not welded. But plumbed together with gasket-ed fittings. They do not stock the gaskets 30 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    I often refer to Parker O-ring handbook for suitable materials - https://www.parker.com/literature/Pr...PTD5705-EN.pdf Go to section 6.7.4 for approved FDA materials for use with consumer foods. The agency is pretty particular about what to use as food safe gasket and o-ring material. I am surprised Dadant cannot provide food safe information related to gaskets.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

80's bronze fittings and even the pipe from that age likely contain lead. Is that mess previously welded ? Heat will bring the lead to the surface. Is it going to hurt anything? No, but.

For gaskets I would remove the mess and go with lexel and food grade paint. Remove any excess lexel while wet.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Just looked online and see that this scale retails new for $473. Oh yeah!
    Nice score, JW. Merry Christmas to you.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    God is certainly good all the time. This sounds like a great opportunity for a dedicated 'bee improvement library' complete with observation hive... before nature reclaims the space. As Aristotle pointed out, "Nature abhors a vacuum."
    David Matlock

I just started a new job. I kept seeing plywood, underpayment the size of pallets. It is all used to hold awkward size things on pallets for shipment. The company sees them as trash and give them away. I have been setting the best pieces away for myself. I made 18 nuc boxes out of them today. I should have no problem getting all the wood I could ever want for nuc's, tops and bottoms.

Mbear,
    Lucky you! Congrats!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Mbear, that is great! Most of the ply we get is too small to make boxes out of.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by mbear View Post
    I should have no problem getting all the wood I could ever want for nuc's, tops and bottoms.
    Let us know when you’re ready to take orders. Should be inexpensive since you get free wood!!
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

Good for you. I lost the job that was getting me similar wood this year. But I found that a local lumberyard had an order for Advantech siding that was canceled. They sold me 10 sheets at their cost to get it off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by mbear View Post
    I just started a new job. I kept seeing plywood, underpayment the size of pallets. It is all used to hold awkward size things on pallets for shipment. The company sees them as trash and give them away. I have been setting the best pieces away for myself. I made 18 nuc boxes out of them today. I should have no problem getting all the wood I could ever want for nuc's, tops and bottoms.
    Nice. My local Farm & Fleet store has a 'free wood' dump at the corner of their parking lot. I stop by every week or so and scrounge plywood. This last time I got some good posts, thin plywood and a couple of 2 by 4s. The plywood is very cheap stuff, thin, but it should hold up a season or two. Made 4 nucs so far and have cut out panels for a few more.

>>>The plywood is very cheap stuff, thin, but it should hold up a season or two.

As someone experienced in making baithives out of wine boxes, packing crates and styrofoam fish packing boxes.....I warn you that the time you waste building with free materials is worth a lot more than the money you are saving. When you have to start over in two years you will realize you no longer have the time you lost the first time around nor do you have usable nucs.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I don't need any more bees but as an experiment this year I am going to buy three nucs and grow them and split them as often as possible to see how many hives I end up with to winter over. So I am going to build a lot of nucs boxes and even sell some to help offset expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    What are you going to make out of them, AR1?
    No scrounging today, but I have made 10 5-frame nucs from cheap, thin plywood scrounged from Farm and Fleet's free wood pile. Tonight I am starting in on top covers for these nucs, which will be nothing more than sheets of plywood with a big rock on top to hold them down in the wind.

I am wondering how long these boxes will hold up, given how crappy the material is. I sealed all the edges and painted them so they should last a couple of seasons at least.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I sealed all the edges and painted them so they should last a couple of seasons at least.
    Glad to hear you were able to make productive use of your find, AR1. Seems to me if are able to keep water saturation to a minimum through diligent maintenance of paint and caulk and keep them off the ground you should get more than a few years service from them.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

AR1, the swarm traps I make from plans at Horizontal Hive use 1/4" plywood for the sides and lids and 5/8" plywood for the ends and floor. They stay out in the weather year round and seem to be holding up real well here in year three. Just keep your nucs dry and they should last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    AR1, the swarm traps I make from plans at Horizontal Hive use 1/4" plywood for the sides and lids and 5/8" plywood for the ends and floor. They stay out in the weather year round and seem to be holding up real well here in year three. Just keep your nucs dry and they should last a long time.
    Hope so, but this was crappy plywood the day it was made. Poorly laminated with minimal glue, then nailed, stapled, busted apart, chipped, gouged. With the work put in re-gluing the lamination edges, caulking, painting, it isn't saving me much. More for fun and 'can I do this'. Gives me something to do in the winter anyway, and keeps bills for lumber from appearing on the credit car, where my wife can see them!

"keeps bills for lumber from appearing on the credit car, where my wife can see them!"

You need to make something for her and pad the material list.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    Nice. My local Farm & Fleet store has a 'free wood' dump at the corner of their parking lot. I stop by every week or so and scrounge plywood. This last time I got some good posts, thin plywood and a couple of 2 by 4s. The plywood is very cheap stuff, thin, but it should hold up a season or two. Made 4 nucs so far and have cut out panels for a few more.
    thin stuff will make inner covers and dividers. could go thin ply, 5/8 styrofoam and another thin ply,, for a top cover, case it in Thin flashing tin.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast