So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged - Page 13
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

Well, not lately, but last spring I scored 3 very long shipping crates used to ship parts for FM transmitting antennas

Each about 10 ft long 1 x 12 construction

after getting rid of all the staples holding them together (UGH) I had enough to build about 10 of the 20 x 20 12-frame deeps

IMG_2571.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and I do hope folks keep posting their finds here.

So far, it looks like Lauri takes top prize for total scrounge value, Michael gets the award for best single haul (bonus points for having the gifter call you) and GWW gets honorable mention for the most consistent scrounger.

Not scrounged today, but around 10 days ago ... a caravan refrigerator.

I've started writing some web-pages about it - they're not properly online yet: 'still under construction' as the saying goes. But - here's a preview link anyway. http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/incubator01.htm
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

lj
    Good luck on the project. Lots of new queens in you future hey?
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

LJ,

In your design process why don't you keep in mind that this incubator can also be used to de-crystallize honey in jars or a five gallon bucket. I'm actually working on a similar project to yours, but my first objective is to de-crystallize honey, and secondly as a backup incubator.

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Steve - I live in what might be described as 'a nectar desert', and the amount of honey produced here really isn't worth harvesting - so I've become a 'bee-farmer' rather than a 'honey-farmer' ...

But in truth, the amount of bees produced here isn't that great either - not by your country's standards - just enough to pay the sugar bill and provide a retired old fart with a reason for getting up in the morning. LOL

But - because this area is pretty-much a 'nectar desert', there are precious few beehives in the immediate vicinity and my drones are effectively swamping the area. As a result, queen-rearing here has become a little more controlled than elsewhere - and that's how a queen-cell incubator comes to fit into the picture
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

5 mini pallets. From Farm & Fleet's free wood junk pile. They throw away a lot of display racks, pallets and occasionally decent wood. Last week got a half-dozen pieces of 8 by 2 board.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Not scrounged today, but around 10 days ago ... a caravan refrigerator.

I've started writing some web-pages about it - they're not properly online yet: 'still under construction' as the saying goes. But - here's a preview link anyway. http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/incubator01.htm
    LJ
    LJ:

This is a really interesting project- very good modification workmanship.

I had to look up 'caravan' - we call them 'campers' here in the States and typically call them 'RV' or 'Dorm' refrigerators.

Thanks for posting- I'll look forward to seeing how it works for your purpose.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    5 mini pallets. From Farm & Fleet's free wood junk pile. They throw away a lot of display racks, pallets and occasionally decent wood. Last week got a half-dozen pieces of 8 by 2 board.
    What are you going to make out of them, AR1?

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    What are you going to make out of them, AR1?
    Won't decide until winter, when I start doing indoors stuff. I just collect wood randomly if it looks decent. Never enough and I hate buying it. The mini pallets will be hive stands this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    Never enough and I hate buying it.
    I can certainly appreciate this position. Good luck with your winter woodworking efforts.

Russ

A friend of mine is taking a break from beekeeping, he was TF and kept having his hives die. Called me up to come get all his woodendware. 3 deeps, 4 supers, a complete BM nuc, 4 Beemax feeders, and some misc. tops and bottoms, one still in the box. Also scored about 30 Acorn plastic frames, 20 are brand new. Figure it would all cost around $350 if purchased new. Wants me to take a freezer full of frames too, but we will need to extract them first.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Good for you, sad for him. I have someone whose husband passed and wants to rid herself of his equipment. We are going use to help a beginner start up.

Great idea. I may do the same once I get everything cleaned up. The only thing I wanted was the nuc and the feeders, as I already have 20 hives and that is plenty for now. It would be a feel good moment to be able to help a newbee out. Course he or she will still need to buy the bees, generosity does have it's limits.

Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Of they have to be vested in the process. Without that they likely would not care enough to be a good beekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    A friend of mine is taking a break from beekeeping, he was TF and kept having his hives die. Called me up to come get all his woodendware. 3 deeps, 4 supers, a complete BM nuc, 4 Beemax feeders, and some misc. tops and bottoms, one still in the box. Also scored about 30 Acorn plastic frames, 20 are brand new. Figure it would all cost around $350 if purchased new. Wants me to take a freezer full of frames too, but we will need to extract them first.
    Good for you, JW. I am glad you will have the opportunity to 'pay forward' some of the hive set-ups.

I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Thanks Russ, I owe oldsap for providing the idea. I am extremely thankful this month because my 30 year-old son finally rented a place large enough for him to get all his junk out of my house. PTL and TYJ! (He has been on his own for some time but was using his old bedroom as a storage shed.)

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    (He has been on his own for some time but was using his old bedroom as a storage shed.)
    God is certainly good all the time. This sounds like a great opportunity for a dedicated 'bee improvement library' complete with observation hive... before nature reclaims the space. As Aristotle pointed out, "Nature abhors a vacuum."
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Major score this week. I regularly bid on restaurant equipment auctions to find stuff for the honey side of beekeeping. I had bid up to $12 for a small digital scale with a 2# capacity. Got outbid. While picking up another item, I casually asked about any other scales they might have. Guy pulls out an NCI 6710-15 (15kg cap.) with remote display and power adapter. All that was missing was the the stainless steel skirt which I can easily fabricate. Sold it to me for $20. The scale is NTEP approved for point of sale use so is legal for trade. Just looked online and see that this scale retails new for $473. Oh yeah!

I was given free this '80s vintage two piece Dadant bottling tank but it is hours and new parts away from being usable. Still seeking an experienced mentor to advise me on it's repair. Penny and Kent at Dadants Metal Shop have given me some help. At this point I just need two gaskets. I can see that they don't hold up well as they are in hot honey and water for days at a time. Any advice on what kind and where to buy proper gaskets? Dadant does not have them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast