So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Default Re: So, what did you scrounge today? Braggin encouraged

I finally managed to use the excess memory foam I bought years ago. It became a porous foam gasket between my 5-sided slip-on insulating box and a lip screwed into my bottom board. I can see the foam accumulating water, like a sponge, for the bees while providing a water vapor gate out while wind blocking.

But I also need ideas. I have a 22 ft. fiberglass sailboat hull ( swing keel) that I decommissioned What can I do with it related to beekeeping. I intend to sink it, dig a hole, in my vernal pool to provide a year round deep spot for fish, frogs,etc. if I cannot find an alternative.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Not much you can do with an old hull. I think the idea of removing the top deck and turning it into a pond(with koi?) is actually pretty good. Certainly unique.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Stack 1/2" foam core signs, cut them in to the parts to make 50 mating nucs for a club work shop.
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

I took my GE horizontal, high speed spin Washing Machine apart a few years ago. I had salvage parts and wanted to find out why it failed so early -- P*&^ - Poor "spider" fatigue design.

To solve my dancing extractor issue I am building a platform for the honey extractor which is being mounted on swivel dolly wheels. I am using 4 dampers (like shock absorbers) and bushing bolts from the wash machine to reduce the platform motion induced by an unbalanced load in the extractor. It tries to spin about it's C.G. I may put the dolly wheels on soft rubber to convert motion prevent damaging or a hard board.
    my new bee-sheds new vinyl floor (cheap remnant piece from HD).

I am really curious to see how it works - strictly trial and error. I will be prepared to add weight too. ( FYI - The bucket goes on the platform )

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    To solve my dancing extractor issue I am building a platform for the honey extractor which is being mounted on swivel dolly wheels. I am using 4 dampers (like shock absorbers) and bushing bolts from the wash machine to reduce the platform motion induced by an unbalanced load in the extractor. It tries to spin about it's C.G.
    Sounds pretty ingenious, Robert. Here's hoping it works even better than you anticipate. Maybe you can post some photos of the finished product?
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

2 4'X8'X1" sheets of particleboard. There was a lot more but bigger sheets that wouldn't fit in the minivan. Sad. I hope someone gets to them before they get wet. I will probably cut some up for hive tops. Good for one season maybe, and I am a bit short tops and bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I will probably cut some up for hive tops. Good for one season maybe...
    If you had some of MSL's Corroplast political signs, you could make a quick cladding to put on top of the particleboard to help extend their life as lids.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    If you had some of MSL's Corroplast political signs, you could make a quick cladding to put on top of the particleboard to help extend their life as lids.
    Or an old freezer lid and some tin snips.....Paint and cover with tin, I have several with OSB covered with roof flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    I am anticipating a lot of political sign availability this year! :-)
    My plan is to wait until a few weeks after the election. I figure if the people who place the signs can't be bothered to clean up their waste in that time, it's my civic duty to remove the eyesores.

Your best bet for collecting political signs is immediately after the polls close. Where I live, most are gone within 24 hours. But I do agree it is your civic duty to remove them as fast as possible, especially the ones of the candidate for whom you did not vote.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If you had some of MSL's Corroplast political signs
    1/2" foam core, much, much more usefull as it can be glued/screwed and has 3x the R factor of 3/4 plywood
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Your best bet for collecting political signs is immediately after the polls close. Where I live, most are gone within 24 hours. But I do agree it is your civic duty to remove them as fast as possible, especially the ones of the candidate for whom you did not vote.
    Some political groups collect and re-use the signs. I don't want to accidentally steal property. Around here some rural corners however will have signs left over a long time. I call those fair game.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415