OH boy, I can't believe it....

Default OH boy, I can't believe it....

Well I really messed up today. I bought a sheet of plywood 3/4 inch 4x8 sheet. I wanted to make the D Coates nucs. Well if you have a sharp eye you already know what I did wrong. After I cut all the pieces and assemble 1 nuc box I realized what I did. The frame did not fit inside that's how I found out. The plans are for 1/2 inch plywood. My nuc box was small by quarter inch. I had to tear it apart and rebuild with the joints sticking out 1/8 inch all sides. Then had to make up the top piece that covers the frame edge. So I built 2 because I have 2 queens coming today or tomorrow. Hell it don't look that bad but a lot less sturdy than full joints. I want to make more but how would I resize the plans for 3/4 inch plywood so I can make new nucs for future use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OH boy, I can't believe it....

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Well I really messed up today. I bought a sheet of plywood 3/4 inch 4x8 sheet. I wanted to make the D Coates nucs. Well if you have a sharp eye you already know what I did wrong. After I cut all the pieces and assemble 1 nuc box I realized what I did. The frame did not fit inside that's how I found out. The plans are for 1/2 inch plywood. My nuc box was small by quarter inch. I had to tear it apart and rebuild with the joints sticking out 1/8 inch all sides. Then had to make up the top piece that covers the frame edge. So I built 2 because I have 2 queens coming today or tomorrow. Hell it don't look that bad but a lot less sturdy than full joints. I want to make more but how would I resize the plans for 3/4 inch plywood so I can make new nucs for future use?
    Well if you were a 1/4 in short, add a 1/4 in to all the long dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    Well if you were a 1/4 in short, add a 1/4 in to all the long dimensions.
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

OP, appreciate pics.

So glad I'm not the only one who does things like that.

Lol. Yes i like the pics. Didnt even dawn on me about wood thickness. From the sounds of it im not the only one. After im done painting them im going to use 90 degree angle brackets to make it much sturdier. And instead of 4 nucs im jusy making two 5 over 5 nucs. Then recalibrate dimensions for 3/4 plywood and start over.

Just build foundationless frames to fit them. Mark them so you don't mix them up. 3 hours VS wasting lumber and time

This topic has been discussed before: https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ghlight=coates
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

This happened to me as well. I did not realize that plywood was also smaller than actually stated... don't know why, it's not like they rip the bark off it. I bought the one that was actually about .5625" wide and dang it that is not the same as 1/2" !

Just went through them and hit the backs out and reattached. The frames fit so much better. I'll never make that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by a_bee_in_az View Post
    This happened to me as well. I did not realize that plywood was also smaller than actually stated... don't know why, it's not like they rip the bark off it. I bought the one that was actually about .5625" wide and dang it that is not the same as 1/2" !

Just went through them and hit the backs out and reattached. The frames fit so much better. I'll never make that mistake again.
    The vast majority of plywood/sheet products sold today are manufactured in metric thickness so the marked size in US stores is "nominal". "3/4" material is often 18mm, for example, although there are manufacturing quality variances that also come into play, especially with less expensive product and those intended for the building trades where such differences are immaterial. It's a "woodworking best practice" to carefully measure everything to account for such variances, especially on things where even a slight difference can cause functional issues...such as frames not fitting in a hive box. You are not the first nor will you be the last to get caught up with this! Even the cabinet grade veneer plywood I use for certain commissions isn't always exactly the same sheet to sheet, but it's closer than many other products. (It better be at $120+ a sheet)
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

I ran into variance issues with freshly milled cedar. Final dimensions on a 1x6 should be 3/4" x 5 1/2" but were 11/16" x 5 3/8". I am on my third mill in order to get actual industry standard dimensioned lumber. Real pain in the butt when I started working with it and was using outside dimensions which messed with my inside dimensions for hive boxes. Grrrrr. I just checked a new delivery and it is 3/4" x between 5 5/8" and 5 7/8" and well over 8' long. I told them I rip them anyway so they send me rough cut boards... get more width. Always check dimensions now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazelle View Post
    So glad I'm not the only one who does things like that.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

I'd sue Drew for not having better instruction!