Black dots on brood - dead pupae in tray - what is it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Black dots on brood - dead pupae in tray - what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    That's good news. Hope you have a great fall flow and your hives build up fast. Sounds like you are in a holding pattern still. One thing you could do, that is non-lethal and won't hurt the colony at all, is a sugar roll. Only takes 1/2 cup of bees. You would then have a quantitative measure of the mite load. I would be surprised if your inspector still recommended postponing treatment for two months if the actual counts were high. I'll bet he is concerned about mid-summer temperatures when using MAQS. There are other treatment methods if it is indeed varroa.
    Thank you. I think he is concerned about the temp. It is 93 here today and no cold snap in sight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeDG View Post
    My other hive still hasn't built out the first box either, but there are significantly more bees in it.

I was shocked - shocked - given the decrease in population that there weren't any signs of the black spots.

I did a powdered sugar treatment last Friday, so maybe that helped.
    Your 2nd hive is slow, and even a sugar role may have helped?

Mites are highly likely a problem in both hives. Myself I would OA both of them now. OA syrup is simple and go weak if you are reluctant. Even simply repeating sugar dusting will help and no temp stress. Temp problem is mostly a higher dose from rapid evaporation from strips. An evening OA will be gone by morning. If you have not read Randy Oliver"s OA you should.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/oxal...-1-of-2-parts/
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/oxal...-2-of-2-parts/

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Wow, that's a thorough discussion. It's out of date in one respect, though, I believe. Oxalic acid has subsequently been approved by the EPA, or USDA, or whoever has the applicable oversight. It doesn't go to the merits, of course, but some folks might be wary.

I'm seeing a similar problem in one of my hives. I am also finding eggs, larva, and have spotted some adult small hive beetles. What seems strange is the bees in the one colony did not clean out the cells, almost like they are packing it in for food (like pollen).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12