Traps for Small Hive Beetles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traps for Small Hive Beetles

What is everyones thought on dealing with small hive beetles? Ive seen that there are generally three ways of dealing with them and wanted to know whats best. I inspected my hive on Sunday and saw a one or two of them scurrying around on the bottom of a frame and wondered what I should do.

Methods:

1. Chemical baits and traps. - Is this a last a last resort and how does this effect the hive/honey.

2. Mechanical traps. - Oil traps and sticky boards - Do these work well and if so which ones do you all recommend.

3. Exterior ground treatments. - I've heard that using Diatomaceous earth as well as Aviary specific ground treatments are available, but I know little about them.

I'm no where near an infestation level, but being that I know they're present I'd like to get ahead of the game and take precautionary measures against them growing.

Please advise and as always thank you for your insight and help!

Kindly,

Micah

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Traps for Small Hive Beetles

I don't use chemicals in the hive, but Mite-away Quick Strips are labeled for SHB control.

I'm using these. Work really well, especially if you're not overrun with beetles.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/647B/

Can't speak on the diatomaceous earth, but the permethrin ground drench does nothing for adult beetles in the hive. It merely breaks the life-cycle. SHB pupate in the ground. I use 10% permethrin in a ground drench every month. But they fly.

I've gone for option #2--traps. I designed my own screened bottom board with a pan below. Either mineral oil or DE works really well in these and I no longer have a SHB problem. Heck, I haven't even SEEN one this year, which is really saying something when you consider what SHB problems are in Alabama. There are free plans on my site and they are both easy and inexpensive to build. They end the problem before the beetles ever reach the ground. I've been using my traps for about 3 years now. I started with a bad infestation and now have none. I do have VSH genetics in my hives as well, and that is bound to be a factor too.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

Thanks Rusty that helps a lot! I'll check it out!

I also use the hive beetle traps in my hives, 2 per box and they collect and kill a lot of the adults. Late last spring I was in a hurry and did not replace the traps in one hive and on inspection 2 months later was horrified at how many adults were under the lid. I get together with other local Beeks and buy a 100 at a time which saves money. If you are careful with the thin plastic traps when removing them from the hives they can be carefully washed out, manually cleaned and reused a few times.

I know people on here have used swiffer pads and i would be interested in seeing how they use them.

SS Auck - you tube has a video - check it
    Now all others - Keep your bees in direct sunlight and use migritory tops - no inner covers for them to hide in

Method #4 not mentioned in the original post: Diatomaceous earth on the IPM solid bottom board, under the screened bottom board, that is "bee tight". It works very well for my hives and nucs and is also effective against wax moths (and I think mites, as it's used for mites on chickens). I replace it weekly (or more in our humid summers) by scraping the junk in the trash can.

I do the same a Ruth and in addition I use the beetle traps between the frames with DE instead of oil, less messy to handle.

I went back to migratory tops or just plain sheets of plywood cut to size and my problem has gone away. Several large bee operations have told me they only use migratory tops for small hive beetle control. Hope this helps.

Dadant's West Trap with SBB with DE instead of oil in the tray. The only way I can sleep at night, at least with regard to SHB.
    3rd year beek, 3 hives, Zone 7a
    You do the best you can, and that's the best you can do.

j lee - it will help - make sure there in the sun

Shot gun, ice pick and migratory covers coming up next. First two methods were not very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    I don't use chemicals in the hive, but Mite-away Quick Strips are labeled for SHB control.

I'm using these. Work really well, especially if you're not overrun with beetles.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/647B/

Can't speak on the diatomaceous earth, but the permethrin ground drench does nothing for adult beetles in the hive. It merely breaks the life-cycle. SHB pupate in the ground. I use 10% permethrin in a ground drench every month. But they fly.

I do do not think that MAQS are labeled or work against SHB. You are thinking about Checkmite+.

The freeman type bottom boards with tray work great. A little pricey unless you can fab your own version.They are distributed by heartwood in Starr, mississippi. There are numerous threads on homebrew methods you can try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by julieandwadeshelton View Post
    Dadant's West Trap with SBB with DE instead of oil in the tray. The only way I can sleep at night, at least with regard to SHB.

Thanks Sakhoney for the advice. They are all in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    I do do not think that MAQS are labeled or work against SHB. You are thinking about Checkmite+.
    Yes. Checkmite+. Was thinking about something and typing something else. Thanks.

Homemade oil tray traps have been working very very well for me. Even made some for my nucs. Plans on internet. I'm partial to the DIY ones from greenbeehives.com.
    The ones that fit between frames are better than nothing. Be careful on spilling the oil from these on bees. Keep them away from broodnest area over and place one in a corner.
    Putting stuff on ground is a waste of time.

What kind of Diatomaceous earth do you use and where to buy it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast