Do you paint the rim of the boxes?

Default Do you paint the rim of the boxes?

I'm just painting some boxes for the first time. Should I be painting the contact surfaces / rims of the hive boxes?

I'm concerned that the paint will stick bond them together if I do. I'm concerned that they will rot quicker if they are not protected and moisture seeps between the cracks.

What do other people do?

I have a can of Minwax paste wax - should I use that as a protectant in this area?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do you paint the rim of the boxes?

They will stick! I quit painting the rims intentionally. Some always gets on them though. Hive tool makes it real easy to pop. Bees probably don't like the "pop" though.

Not only do I NOT paint the edges I started to use an old paint scraper to remove the paint that always creeps onto that edge.

I'm with the others. I used to but boy the extra effort to get them apart and that "pop' just excites the bees. Now I rub bees wax on all the edges. It keeps the painted ones from sticking and protects the edges of the unpainted ones to some degree.

i stack deeps 7 or 8 high trying to keep all boxes plumb then roll 2 coats on some seeps in cracks just pop them apart

When I first paint a box I paint all surfaces, inside and out. If they are given enough drying time, and perhaps a little petroleum jelly on the edges, they don't cause problems by sticking to each other. I much prefer to dip new boxes in copper naphthenate and not paint at all.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

i paint the rim edges just one coat of good paint. in a few years at repaint time they may get one more coat. in damp areas or part of the year wet the edges rot first. if you put on more than one coat the boxes stick more. if you must stack soon after painting zig-zag the stack. a couple of weeks of drying time mostly eliminates the stuck together situation. a couple of coats of paint on the edges makes for much more of a problem. i have friends who have higher priorities than painting, it seems to work for them. i like stuff to last.

I paint the edges, The pop is no louder than that when the bees propilis them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I paint the edges, The pop is no louder than that when the bees propilis them together.
    X2
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I paint them
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I just paint the rims on four more boxes tonight that I'm refurbishing. I like the idea of taking a wax bar and running it around the rim.

I paint the edges. I try and get the box edges really cured before use, putting them in the sun, and using a moderately hot heat gun to give the edges a final cure. Then I paint on a coat of melted beeswax, just on the edges. I start with a coat of white pigmented shellac, then primer and two top coats in the color of the stack

I have a lot of experience cutting in paint on window frames and muntins, so I can cover just the edges with a narrow sash brush, without getting it on the outside surface.

What I can't guarantee is that all the boxes and equipment will always line up perfectly square with each other, whether due to my own carelessness or just the nature of bee equipment. That would exposed the vulnerable edges to moisture.

At Betterbee they say not to paint the edges - it's one of the rare instances when I don't follow with their advice. I've been painting wooden buildings in my climate for fifty years longer than I have been a beekeeper.

Enj.

I paint the sides and "hot wax" the top/bottom edges.
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

I hate painting outdoor fixtures. I refuse to do it.
    also though, I recommend cedar. but why? it's my understanding that plastics create a vapour barrier. a crucial part of insulating your house. I build houses. propolis creates a vapour/moisture barrier. if you sandwich wood between two surfaces that air/moisture cannot pass through... rot. if you do not coat the outside, and let the bees coat the inside, (I am under the impression that any moisture that gets in the wood, will take a path of least resistance (I think there is a "law" about this) to escape into the air) then the hive will be less humid on the inside.
    and why cedar, it lasts untreated a lot longer than pine for exterior, I suppose I would use a nice hardwood if I could, teak maybe? but cedar is less than that. just for hive bodies. maybe a good reason to think about "long langs" with followers for main colonies at a width that you can stack your pine boxes on. now I'm off on tangents, I hate iPhone, can't type nearly as fast as my thoughts change.
    or build little/long boxes/closets of cedar to house the pine boxes...
    anyways, if you paint/treat wood, any moisture from the air that goes into the wood will exit the wood on the unpainted side.

h.
    brand new guy in zone 5b, finding the limit of stress for bees.

o.O
    Last edited by howlin; 06-08-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: duplicate post.
    brand new guy in zone 5b, finding the limit of stress for bees.