Pricing to Cooperate not Compete with Fellow Beekeepers - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Pricing to Cooperate not Compete with Fellow Beekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    One needs to consider the 'scale of the operation' when pricing honey. As I recall, Daniel supports his family with a state government job, not honey sales. Mark (sqkcrk) is producing honey on a larger scale and supporting his family on his beekeeping income.

I'd say that if Daniel needed to support his family on his beekeeping income its likely that his pricing strategy would be different than his current thinking.
    Yeah, agree. As a hobby beekeeper I just try to sell enough honey to offset most of the costs. I don't factor in my time at all in the costs, but as a small time backyard beekeeper with a regular income elsewhere I don't need to. I find folks who are willing to pay a bit more for raw local honey. Just met someone who drives an hour one way to get raw local honey for $12 per pound.

But if I were to do this on a larger scale, then I would have to reconsider a lot of how I do things. I would need a way to move larger quantities of honey more regularly, probably in bulk, factor in cost of my time, etc.

While I may make a "profit" some years, this is not substantial. In a good year it might be enough to pay for a nice family vacation, but certainly not enough to pay the mortgage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pricing to Cooperate not Compete with Fellow Beekeepers

everybody is soooo upset about "price fixing"...yet nobody complains when the government does it...."state Minimum" pricing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234