How to do a Taranov split w/ top hive entrance - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to do a Taranov split w/ top hive entrance

Well fellas, sorry to say that my hive split was a a big fat failure. Turns out when we set up the board and everything, the new hive was under the board and was accidentally touching the pallet underneath the old hive, so while the bees did cluster initially, they ended up walking down other side of the new hive and walking onto pallet and eventually back into the old hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

did you see the Queen ?

You are learning, give it another try tomorrow if you can.
    I usually set up so i'm standing between the new hive and the old hive when finished.
    We have ALL had days like that!
    Zone 6b 1400'

Quote Originally Posted by marcos bees View Post
    Well fellas, sorry to say that my hive split was a a big fat failure. Turns out when we set up the board and everything, the new hive was under the board and was accidentally touching the pallet underneath the old hive, so while the bees did cluster initially, they ended up walking down other side of the new hive and walking onto pallet and eventually back into the old hive.
    All the more reason to have taken to heart the following...

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Apparently you can set the ramp up on the ground 10 feet or more away from the hive and the queen and non oriented bees will cluster under the lip of the ramp. The flying bees will return to your upper entrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Crofter for the win.
    Separate all of the measurements and precise dictation of most of the Taranov method stuff and forget it. Just shake them out and give them a ramp a little ways off the ground to cluster on/under.
    Go shake them again... put the ramp so they cluster right above/into the new hive. Wear your bee suit.

Last edited by jwcarlson; 06-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.

The first few times I did it I was a lot more worried about getting the ramp the same elevation and close to the entrance. It saves a move or two if you have them go into the target box directly and have it well away from the originating hive. Less chance too, of them doing an end run around you like yours did.

Give them another go round!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank

Just curious, can I just shake all bees directly into a new box, away from the original hive? Or is it important to let them walk on a ramp and make a cluster before shaking them (or letting them walk) into the new box?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Just curious, can I just shake all bees directly into a new box, away from the original hive? Or is it important to let them walk on a ramp and make a cluster before shaking them (or letting them walk) into the new box?
    I've done it both ways and prefer the ramp and then shake to where I want them or position it in such a fashion to allow them right into the new box while clustering. Truthfully it probably doesn't matter, but shaking and letting them cluster seems to do the trick well.

thanks I'll try the ramp method next time my bees attempt to swarm. enjoyed your fast motion youtube taranov video.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12