Attached Comb

Thread: Attached Comb

Default Attached Comb

Hey all, new beek here.

Is it typical for the girls to attach comb from the top of the frames in the first box to the bottom of the frames in the second box? My hive is only two boxes high at the moment.

This is the second time I've gone in and pulled apart some comb in the process. I felt really bad because I pulled apart some uncapped brood and a few little larvae spilled out on top of the frames. I saw a couple workers tending to them... I didn't know what else to do besides leave them there in hopes they'll get reinserted back into a cell by the workers.

Just trying to figure out if this is a typical thing that I shouldn't worry about, or something I'm doing wrong. Is there anything I can do different?

They don't seem to want to expand up, so I checkered the frames from the bottom up into the top box - hopefully that'll help them move up.

Thanks!
    bfbeekeeper
    Bonners Ferry, ID (Zone 5b)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Attached Comb

Just drone brood probably, they'll eat them and recycle or drag them out. Are you using plastic frames by chance?

I'm using wood frames with plastic foundation. They are brad nailed together with some Titebond II.

Totally normal. Don't sweat it.

If your frames all have comb and no foundation to be drawn out I would give the colony 1 frame of foundation. Often when the bees start to produce wax and have no place to use it they will use it in the form of burr and brace comb.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

There are several frames of foundation that have no comb built on... so they have plenty of room to place excess wax. I figured they may be hesitant to expand up because there is a little layer of honey on top of the brood. I've read that they can sometimes halt expansion upwards because as they see it, the honey layer is the top of the hive. I took out 4 frames in the bottom brood chamber and moved them to the top box, then put empty frames with foundation in the bottom brood chamber. Ran into the queen while doing it so that was a good sign. I'm hoping this checkering spreads the hive out a little bit and they fill in the empty spots with comb.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate the guidance/information.

Bfbeekeeper